PDA

View Full Version : Still in shock

Emilyty03
09-18-2008, 06:09 PM
Hi there. I am so relieved to find this community of support for this disease. I am a VERY newly diagnosed person. Here's my story...

I am 27 and have two BEAUTIFUL little boys. After my oldest was born 3 years ago, I was having problems with my periods and my OBGYN tested my thyroid. I tested positive for Hashimoto's Disease which is chronic autoimmune hypothyroid disease. I am managing this quite well on synthroid. Well, I just gave birth to my second three months ago and have been having some minor joint pain that seems to be getting worse. My fingers have been slowing becoming bent and twisted over the years and I wanted to be checked for rheumatoid arthritis. My family Dr. thought that with the location of the joint pain it was most likely osteoarthritis if any and prescribed me 800 mg Motrim for the pain. He also sent me for blood work just to rule rhuematoid out. I went on my merry way not really thinking about it anymore until this morning my Dr. sent me a voice mail. I checked this message traveling from the two schools I teach music in. You could have knocked me over with a feather when he said that the test for LUPUS was positive. I hadn't even known that was a possibility. I thought surely he must have called the wrong patient, but no....it's me. Wow...so I went back for more lab work today and just now had the opportunity to sit down and digest this. I have no other symptoms save the joint pain which is most often minor. I have so many questions but feel I should wait to see what these next tests will show. I know Lupus effects people in different ways...my mother-in-law who has chronic active hepatitis which is an autoimmunity that attacks the liver, has been on prednizon (sp?) for over 20 years and her poor skin is paper thin and constantly black and blue. It tears off in sheets and leaves her feeling really low. She's been in the hospital three times in the last year for staph infections due to her low immunity and her paper thin skin. She got MRSA from a tiny paper cut. I'm not as scared for me as I am for my husband who's already watched one woman he loves suffer from an autoimmune disease. I don't want him to hurt anymore...

KathyW1958
09-19-2008, 01:52 AM
Hi Emily,
Welcome to the forum. I am really surprised that they would diagnose you with Lupus with just one symptom. Usually they require you to have at least 4 out of 11 criteria that they list for this disease. I hope that they can give you more answers from the labs that they are running on you now. This is a good site with a lot of good folks that comes in here with really good information. It is good to have someone to talk with that has the same illness. This is a hard illness at times to deal with, but they have good medications for it. I hope that you keep on posting and let us know what is happening with you.

Hugs,
Kathy

Saysusie
09-19-2008, 08:56 AM
Hi Emily;
Welcome to our family. I know it can be scary to be told that you have a chronic auto-immune disease and we've all been there at some point, in our disease process. You mentioned that, so far, you only have the joint pain. Hopefully your disease will not progress beyond this. I agree, however, that we should wait until you get the results of your remaining tests. Those tests will let your doctors know if any of your internal organs have been affected and, if so, to what extent.
As you mentioned, Lupus does affect each of us differently and so we must pay very close attention to our bodies and to how our particular Lupus affects us. Everyone here is more than willing to provide you with information, answers, advice and understanding. Please let us know how your tests go and what medications you are prescribed.

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

purplepinkgirl
09-22-2008, 07:53 AM
Hi Emily,
I am 22 years old and i was diagnosed with Lupus this year March 6th. I felt the same way, i was so curious about this illness that i drowned myself with books and alot of medical material so that i can know every possible point about lupus. It sounds as if you have a loving supportive family, and that is very important. You have 2 beautiful boys and a husband who probably has a good understanding about caring for a loved one who can become ill. I pray that when my time come that i will be able to have a healthy baby. God does not put more on us than we can bare. this too shall past! just remember you are not alone and you have alot of love and support from me and everyone else on this site. I will keep you and your family in my prayers.

laughter and prayer is the medicine to all pain! :lol: