PDA

View Full Version : I made muffins...

NoodleMom
09-18-2008, 10:51 AM
I actually made muffins from start to finish. I have not been able to do any baking because I would barely get the ingredients out before I would tire out.Today we (my 8y/o son and I) made Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins. Then we cleaned up from baking.

I did it!! I made muffins!!!! :D :D

I am so excited. to feel good enuf to actually spend time doing something I love. Spending quality time with my child. 8) soo cool!

K

sits_inthe_corner
09-18-2008, 01:37 PM
:B-fly: :BIG: :rainbow1:

I'm sooooo happy for you NoodleMom! Yah!

It's wonderful when we are given the gift of doing something that we enjoy so much. Hugs to both you and your son, I'm glad you got to do that together.

beautifulbeluga
09-18-2008, 02:06 PM
Good for you Noodlemom:

Muffins and quality time with your son, that.s just great. I looked at recipes today, does that count? Hubby has his birthday on Sunday and we have guests over for dinner and have been looking for ideas. Any suggestions welcome.

sits_inthe_corner
09-18-2008, 02:52 PM
Hi beautifulbeluga

Take out :lol: or delivery lol

What does your hubby like? Plain? Spicey?

My hubby doesn't like spicey foods....I LOVE spice.

rob
09-18-2008, 03:13 PM
If I were there, I could make those muffins dissapear! Seriously, that's very cool to finish something from beginning to end. I have so many little things I don't finish because I run out of steam halfway through. Have to learn to pace myself I guess.

Pretti in Pink
09-18-2008, 03:57 PM
Noodlemom,

That's is terrific, isn't weird how the small things have such BIG meaning these days? Are there any left?

jaideni
09-18-2008, 04:20 PM
I am so happy for you!

hatlady
09-19-2008, 04:07 AM
And they sound wonderful too!

Congrats on the quality time, the energy, and the tasty end product -

beautifulbeluga
09-19-2008, 06:13 AM
Hi back sitsinthecorner:

Take out would be fine for me but not the company I am having. My husband is from the former Republic of Soviet Union and they have very special tastes and customs when it comes to food and celebrations. And for sure all the woman know "how to cook". That becomes part of my dilemma in that I cannot prepare their usual dishes with as much finesse but I also don't want to stray too far from the menu the traditional menu. My husband also does a lot of the prep work and cooking so I am not alone in this endeavour "Thank God". Lots of cold smoked fish, caviar, cheese etc. is always on the menu and of course potatoes and bread. This crowd are a big fan of starches, meat, vegetables and heavy non lettuce type salads. There is also at least three or four courses and lots of toasting throughout (vodka or rye straight) for this occasion. I don't drink myself and at first I was amazed that even the women could keep their own with the men in that department and appear sober. I really enjoy my hubby's friends but probably the most challenging is sitting through 5 - 6 hours of eating and drinking and not understand the language. Whenever, his friends get together they always jump into talking Russian which I only know a bit off. Everyone speaks English also but I think it is a natural thing to want to express yourself in your native tongue. It tends to become very boring for me at times and you can only smile and nod so much in an evening.

Oh well, I love to see him happy and celebrate in any way he wants because my husband is a great guy with a golden heart. I will enjoy myself in spite of my petty challenges.

One tradition that always seemed strange to me is that the person who has the birthday is the one who does all the work. The last thing I want to do in celebration of my birthday is work, cook and do all the clean up. I will take dinner out anytime for a celebration. So because of this custom I do manage to get out of some of the work and preparation.

I see you are from the Canadian East Coast. I have never visited there and always wanted to. I lived in Vancouver for a few years but lifestyle there is quite different from where you are so I understand. For years I worked up in Northern Manitoba providing services to First Nation Communities and many of my work associates, were from the eastern provinces. Are you originally from there?

mnjodette
09-19-2008, 06:48 AM
Oooo....muffins! Yummm. Good for you! We all leave so many loose ends because we run out of steam - isn't it nice to see a finished product? I love to see Mom's cook with their kids - it's a great tradition.

Beautifulbeluga, your husband's birthday tradition sounds like a lot of fun -but a lot of work! We have good friends from Russia who visit every once in a while (their son worked for my husband for years.) They are so interesting, but their English is limited. Their son has to act as interpreter for each visit, and I know it's very tiring for him. His wife is from Taiwan. Before they were married we had the Russian family and the Taiwanese family at our house for dinner. Ilya (the Russian son) had to interpret for all of us (he speaks several languages fluently.) I don't know how he kept it all straight! We sat at that dinner table for hours. Whew!

Jody