PDA

View Full Version : Im so tired of being stuck at home

NoodleMom
09-13-2008, 01:49 PM
I went grocery shopping with my HubbyMan today. We first went to Aldis. I walked the whole time thru the store. That was expected. Then we went to WalMart. I use their mobility carts when I go. They didnt have any available. So I told HubbyMan that I would go to health and Beauty to get the few things there that I needed. Figured I be way done b/4 him and then sit in the car. No I walked so slow cuz its all I could manage. Met him back in front of the checkouts. I gave him my things and went to the car. There sitting was a mobility cart. I was so mad. This WalMart lets people bring them out to their car. But then there they sit.

I am going to be getting a Mobility scooter thank goodness which brings on its own set of mixed feelings. But Im not happy. I cannot go with my son on a walk. I cannot go anywhere I would have to do any significant walking. My heart is so sad. I am not able to drive either because I dont have the stamina to drive home when done. All of my independence is gone. I am not HAPPY :mad:

Kasey

DrinkofWtr
09-14-2008, 09:00 AM
I am so sorry that you have lost your independence noodle mom. Getting the mobility vehicle will give you hope and some independence. You have a right to be sad and unhappy at the moment. I know it's hard, but try to hang in there.

jaideni
09-14-2008, 10:48 PM
I can understand how you are feeling. I have found myself becoming jealous of people with canes and handicapped parking. Going to the store is just too painful I lean on the carts to help pull myself around. I am lad that you are getting a mobility cart hope that helps you feel better. Good luck

rob
09-15-2008, 06:52 AM
Hi Kasey,

I understand how you feel. Oh how I do. When I was in the Army, I once walked 20 miles in one very long day. Just a few short years ago, I hiked across the Grand Canyon, twice. Today, I walk the 200 yards to my mailbox and back, and feel like I'm made of lead. My lungs can't get enough air, my joints feel like they are full of broken glass. I hate it.

About your local Wal-Mart. My father has to use a scooter because of knee surgery. We went to Wal-Mart and found the same problem you did. Scooters not where they should be, when they should be. I spoke to the Manager, and got a less than satisfactory response, so I went up his chain of command until I found someone who would listen. The handling of the scooters at BOTH Wal-Marts here in Bangor have improved drastically. They are not left out, and they look like they took them to the scooter-wash because they are all nice and clean too.

I don't like to threaten people with legal action, but when I mentioned the words A.D.A. and attorney in the same sentence, I got their undivided attention. I would suggest you call management in your area, and tell them about your problems with the handling of their scooters. And try to hang in there, you are not alone in your loss of independence. It's frustrating, and it makes us sad. All we can do is deal with it the best ways we can.

Rob

mnjodette
09-15-2008, 04:30 PM
I'm so sorry Kasey. It's so hard to lose something that others take for granted. Using a mobility scooter probably feels like leaving behind a part of yourself. But, the good thing is that it keeps you 'out there', Kasey. You'll be able to have a measure of independence, even when you can't quite handle the walking. Your son might fight it kind of cool to have Mom accompany him in a scooter (my granddaughter sure did when I occasionally had to rent one!) Hugs, Kasey.

Jody

hatlady
09-16-2008, 07:02 AM
So far I'm able to manage through the stores, but my SO, who has MS, is not. I often go into the store and scoot one out to her so she can get there. Now and again we find one in the lot - and figure it is a lucky day.

The stores by us - some do and some don't let the carts go outside. But the ones that DO let them go out (bless them!) as soon as that cart leaves the door, there's some "cart chaser" following it to bring it back in.

NoodleMom
09-16-2008, 10:07 AM
Thanks all with the commiserating. I am looking forward to getting my own.
When I go to the doctor in a week or so we are going to be filling out all the paperwork for one.

Im so tired today. Didnt sleep well and some really stressful and draining things are happening here. I also hurt my right arm some how. The arm and shoulder really hurt.

K