PDA

View Full Version : Exercise and Dieting

jaideni
09-12-2008, 12:19 PM
Everytime I go to my primary care doctor they tell me I should be , bit exercising and dieting don't tell me what kind of diet I should be on. They gave me a couple of pt exercises that I cannot do because I am in pain. They don't seem to understand I can barely walk I cannot stand up without screaming in pain yet they expect me to be able to do 30min of exercise. I tried pilates but I can only do about 10min of it. Can anyone tell me about any good diets and exercise plans. I am planning on joining a gym that has a pool for physical therapy exercisin, but what can I do at home and on days that I can't make it to the gym.

hatlady
09-12-2008, 02:23 PM
Jaideni

Exercise is a good thing - but we have to go at it gently, and build up gradually. Something like a high impact aerobics class is out of the question.

Pilates is a wonderful exercise, and 10 minutes of it is a fabulous start! If you can do 10 minutes three days this week, add in a day next week so you're up to 4 days, and then start increasing minutes. Maybe work towards 12 minutes for a couple weeks. Then 15. Eventually you'll be at 30 minutes, but take your time to get there.

Yoga is similar to pilates, it could be a good choice as well. Find something that you like doing, and it will work for you.

As far as diet, yes, listen to your doctor. One thing I've learned is that I feel best on a lower fat diet. I've cut out meat entirely, though I do occassionally eat salmon, tuna, and (when I'm feeling decadent) shrimp or scallops. Food high in omega 3's help reduce inflamation - which means they can help a bit with reducing pain. Choose whole grains, "REAL" foods (stay away from diet pop, anythign with a list of ingredients you can't read) and monitor portion size.

That portion size thing is the killer. Sites like WebMD and probably Weight Watchers can give you portion sizes. I've found that if I'm getting lazy, I have to go back to measuring things like cereal, pasta, etc for a couple weeks.

Another diet tip? Write down EVERYTHING you eat and drink each day, and the quantities. Keeping a food journal automatically makes you pay more attention to what you're eating. Studies have found that people start making better choices when they write it down, even if they're the only ones who look at it!

jaideni
09-13-2008, 12:18 PM
Thanks! I have found that I have almost completely lost my appetite.I have only been drinking juice and drinks and having a few crackers. My doctor told me that drinking so much juice is not good and is causing weight gain but what am I supposed to do if my body just doesnt want food. Oh well i guess.

hatlady
09-14-2008, 06:46 AM
Juice contains a lot of sugars - but since you have little appetite, I understand why you've chosen to stick with liquids. Maybe try some Keifer (tastes like yoghurt, it is a fermented milk drink) that has less sugar in it. Or some low-sodium V-8 or vegitable drink as well. It might round out your diet a little at this point, get some dairy and some veggies back in. If those don't sound good, you can get a product like "Ensure" that has some balance of nutrients in it, and tastes somewhat like a milkshake.

With crackers, try some whole grain ones that have several grams of fiber each serving.

And don't forget that exercise! If you're able to do the 10 miutes every day or every other day right now, that's a wonderful start!

Hugs -

jaideni
09-14-2008, 10:44 PM
thanks Hatlady. I know I should try something new. I guess I'll give that a try.

sits_inthe_corner
09-17-2008, 01:20 PM
Hugs Jaideni

I hear what you are saying. When I first started down this path I could barely walk. I'd cry and cry because I still needed to do things but it just hurt so much.

I couldn't even lift my leg high enough to get in and out of the shower.

The good news is once I found my self some excersizes I could do I did start feeling better and better.

Over the past two weeks I have developed a new problem to deal with. So I spoiled myself by not doing me workout.....BIG BIG mistake.

I have started back and today is the first day I feel like a human being.

I started with some very light stretches. I would do them on my bed because I couldn't get down and up from the floor.

Then I added going for short little walks in the neighborhood. Just five minutes and then 10 minutes.

We got a tread mill on sale and I started using that on the easiest setting and with NO incline.

I bought a Tai Chi DVD and love it.

As I felt better I got a work out bike for the basement. Again I use the lowest setting.

Then I got a work out bike for the basement. Yes that means going down stairs....my nemisis.

I work out on the tread mill for 15 minutes and then the bike for another 15 minutes.

I bought a Tensor wrap around brace for my achey joints. I wear them when I work out, drive my car or do house work.

I'm not ready to go two stepping but I can do a slow dance :D

I move much better and the pain is not as bad.

My body shuts down at 6 p.m. and refuses to do anthing until the next morning when I do my work out routine.

I'm sure my meds have a lot to do with my feeling better. The pain is halfed but the swelling still persisted. Once I started working out regularly the swelling has gone down quite a bit. There is still the odd day when I puff up like a blow fish.

As for the food thing. Could that be a reaction to some of your medications? What are you taking?

I'm on arthrotec 75 and plaquenil (spell?)

The plaquenil can cause nausia and dyareah. My doctor told me to take both pills just before bed with one of those single servings of yogart.

Worked like a charm. I eat Activa with extra fiber in it. Calms my tummy and is good for the bowel.

Find out about your meds, but eat the Activa any way. Give it two weeks and see how you are feeling.

I hope this helps...gentle hugs to you.

jaideni
09-17-2008, 07:18 PM
I am taking plaquenil and etolodac twice a day and tramadol about four times a day amitryptiline some nights. I guess all the meds and how often they are changing my prescriptions could have something to do with it

sits_inthe_corner
09-18-2008, 04:03 AM
Hi jaideni

Ask your doctor if you can take both your plaquenil right before bed with a small tub of yogart. That was what my doctor recommended and it has worked like a charm.

You sleep through the worst of it and wake up in the morning feeling (dare I say) normal lol.

Plus you will not be sick to your stumack and will eat breaky and feel good.

I also have IBS Irritable Bowel Syndrom. So the plaquenil was causing me a great amount of grief. But I take Immodium for the really bad days and actually, since this all begain, I've never felt better then I do right now.

Let me know how you make out. Hope you start feeling better soon. That's what it's all about. Finding ways to feel better.

beautifulbeluga
09-18-2008, 07:15 AM
Hi Jaideni:

Keep looking for some activity that fits for you and start with baby steps. I think many of us can identify with your dilemma. What I know to be true for myself though is that if I skip the exercise even for a few days my pain is much worse. Personally, I find water to be my life giving force even if I can get in and just move around and nothing else it helps. Getting to the pool is usually the biggest challenge but once I am there it so helps. I have just started back after a five month absence and already I can feel such a difference in my decreased pain level and increased energy.

Good luck with this new challenge in your life..........You can do this.....and remember we are all cheering you on kind of like a "cyber cheer leading team".........................

jaideni
09-18-2008, 09:06 AM
Thanks! I am hoping to try the pool thing out real soon.

sick n tired
09-23-2008, 11:09 AM
Umm sits what is a tensor wrap...My doc also says I need to exercize but it is really starting to hurt.

jaideni
09-23-2008, 11:17 AM
It sucks doesnt it. They want me to do 30min daily. When I tell them I can do about 10 but not daily I get the speech. I feel as if I am coming here because my pain is getting progressively worse they should be abe to understand why it is hard to get this done. I wish I could do it, my body is nearly unreconizable at this point. i am not lazy I have lupus and it hurts!

sick n tired
09-23-2008, 11:26 AM
I think that some doctors are just unfeeling, or perhaps they have never been in chronic pain,,,( I would like to help a few choice docs with the pain issue :evil:) perhaps you need to start with swimming or just walking in the water...that seems better on my joints.

sits_inthe_corner
09-23-2008, 01:34 PM
Hugs sick n tired

A tensor wrap is soft brace, I wear it around my knees. They have velcro staps so they are adjustable and easy to put on and take off as needed.

You buy they at your local pharmacy/drug store. Tensor is just the brand name.

My physio therapist tried to talk me into wearing a "hindged" knee brace. I really really do NOT recommend these. I tried it for two weeks and the pain was insane.

I was very much afraid that it was causing more damage than good.

With the soft brace I feel immediate relieve. It supports the joint and allows me to walk smoothly. After a while you need a break from it though so I only wear it when I'm doing something like house work (ick) or working out and for driving. I really can't drive with out it. All that stop and go traffic just kills my knee joint working the break and the gas.

Heres a site, http://www.bd.com/ca/home_healthcare/products/tensor/knees/

Even though they do not show the one I buy. It's soft (no boning or insert supports) and is a wrap around.

These were the first things to actually give me relief, so I will sing their praises highly.

You will start to feel better if you do a gentle work out. Incease as you feel able.

Even going for a walk is more pleasurable with these on.

Hope it helps :)

sick n tired
09-23-2008, 09:00 PM
Thanks SITC....I am going to go out to walmart and try to find one. One knee is worse than the other...last week I tried to "play" tennis with a group of ladies. My knee swelled up and was so hot you could feel it through the pants that I was wearing. :( bummer...both knees and my elbows and shoulders have not recovered.
This is not an agressive group of women and one wears a brace like the one you don't like because she has rheumatoid arthritis...tomorrow is another game...I will try the tensor wrap and see if it helps. If not I will have to resign. Anyway thanks for the advice.