PDA

View Full Version : Raynaud's, cold weather and boo-boos

Moxie
08-27-2008, 08:55 AM
Now that there is a slight nip in the air (northeast) my skin rips open with gay abandon. Just a mere tap against anything harder than a wet noodle causes me to burst like a bratwurst.

Everyone else here is still wearing shorts, while I'm looking for my sheepskin and woolies to keep me warm and my skin protected and intact.

Am I crazy, or does this time of year start to bring on all the glories of Raynaud's for anyone else? During the depths of winter, I look like Michael Jackson with band aids on the ends of almost every finger. No wonder he was known as "the gloved one."

sits_inthe_corner
08-27-2008, 03:44 PM
Awww sorry to hear you are suffering like that Moxie.

The season is changing here in Nova Scotia as well. Though most people do not notice the subtle changes yet, I certainly do.

Deep down bone aching. Dry cracked skin has started. Swelling in my limbs is double what it was.

I have to be patient. I want to put my polar fleece bed sheets on, but hubby would die from overheating...so I'll have to hold off for a bit. I really really hate winter and it kills me that it's just the tail end of August but I can feel winter creeping in.

Moxie
08-27-2008, 05:20 PM
Thanks SITC. Perhaps I'm not so crazy after all.

Non-believers are won over when I inadvertantly make a fist (in the depths of winter) and split open all of the deep creases on my knuckles. This is a great way to use up all the remaining band aids in the box.

I've already stocked up on non-Rx winter-grade body lotion, which seems to help somewhat as barrier protection. My rheumy has suggested hot wax and heating pads. Maybe he can Rx something stronger. For now, sheepskin, down, fleece and flannel are my personal soothing BFFs.

sits_inthe_corner
08-27-2008, 05:58 PM
Moxie

My hands used to split open all winter long. I would be so ashamed in school to have the teacher see my note book because my hands would bleed while I was writing. :oops:

My mother would put this green gooey ointment on my hands then tape plastic baggies over my hands at night to try and soften them up.

It didn't work. There has been some sort of chemical change in my body. My hands don't get that bad any more. And I'm careful about how much acidy foods I eat.

I noticed my hands got worse when I ate alot of tomatoe based foods or even carrots and especially citrus fruit.

Got me out of doing the dishes though :D

Moxie
08-27-2008, 06:32 PM
SITC,

Thanks for the tip on foods. I eat a lot of tomato based items. Tomatoes and lycopene will no longer be my friends. Thank goodness I don't have a prostate.

Your insight now gives me incentive to eat bread, rolls, coffeecake with abandon. Goodbye veggies, hello empty carbs. I look forward to a calmed down winter.

The exchange of practical information by truly great people makes this site priceless on so many levels.

Thanks so much SITC.

Moxie

deester
09-20-2008, 05:58 PM
I am in North PA and it is in the 70's here. Yet I am wearing long johns, pants turtleneck under my sweatshirt while the rest of the world is out there in shorts and t-shirts and looking at me like I am crazy. My hands are so cold I want to put on mittens but haven't yet. They crack and bleed and no lotion out there seems to help. Your so not alone.

hatlady
09-21-2008, 02:27 PM
I guess I'm lucky, my hands don't get quite that bad, but my fingernails go to the quick all winter, and my cuticles bleed. I get this flaky "snakeskin" on my shins and occasionally elsewhere that does get painful as well.

About the only things I find that help are oil and creams. Lots. WHen I get out of the shower in the morning, I'll rub down with lavander body oil (I get it at Trader Joe's - best price) and in the evenings I'll rub a good aloe and olive oil cream on my hands and legs.

The bad part about the hands is that we have to wash them so much in the winter - that "hand sanitizer" is murder and just not a substitute because it stings so bad.

sits_inthe_corner
09-21-2008, 03:33 PM
I agree hatlady

Had to give up on the hand sanitizer, my skin reacts very badly to strong chemicals.

I found this little jar of nail and cuticle cream at the drug store in the nail care section. it's a little round jar with a cream coloured cap. I've been putting that on my nails several times a day. When ever I think of hit. My cuticals were very painful. No they are just kinda cranky :lol: but they don't hurt any more.

The lid says Salle Hanier? It's difficult to read, but in bolder letters under the name it says Get halthy Nails & Cuticles. It's very gentle and does a good job moisterizing.

It looks like it would taste like orange cream ... I've been tempted to lick it :P LOL.