PDA

View Full Version : Women: Lupus symptoms and puberty

Bubba89
08-21-2008, 06:30 PM
Hi,
I was just wondering if anyone began having lupus symptoms around the time they started having periods? In the same month I started my period I began seeing the symptoms of lupus (Adema, extreme fatigue). I got very sick very fast and then 3 months later I was diagnosed with lupus.

I know starting my period didn't make me have lupus but my theory is that is what triggered it because I know hormonal changes cause flares.
So I was just wondering if anyone else had the same experience.

Also I was wondering if anyones doctor said anything about or if you heard anything about periods activating lupus each month making it harder to get into remission?

Thanks

Bubba89
08-21-2008, 06:36 PM
Sorry I meant to put this under the Symptoms Forum. Oops

Pearl
08-22-2008, 02:28 PM
Bubba -

There is some research that suggests women with lupus will tend to have flares associated with the timing of their monthly cycle. I'm not a doctor, but it would make sense as being one explanation why more women than men are diagnosed with lupus. Perhaps Saysusie will come along and offer some of her wisdom here.

In the meantime, take care of yourself. Be well.

Jana

jojo-at-the-bux
08-22-2008, 02:54 PM
my doctor had tol dme that i would be likely to have flare ups when im on my period. Out of the 8 months that ive dx with lupus, id say about 5 of them, including this month ive had a horrible shoulder pain left side and swelling of the hads and wrists and each time about 3 days later i would get my period. Then it lasts for about 6 days total. Im thinking of asking for some birth control? to maybe stop my periods

sits_inthe_corner
08-22-2008, 05:04 PM
It would seem that when ever there is a chemical change in our bodies, and this goes for men as well, we tend to flare.

My family doctor is also my sister's doctor (she if full diagnosed with lupus/I have not been given a diagnosis as yet).

Any way...my family doctor told us both that pregnancy menopause can both aggrivate lupus so it makes sense that puberty would as well.

But I dont know ... just guessing.

livingINmyDayDreams
08-24-2008, 10:04 AM
My doctor told me puberty is what set my lupus off. I was diagnosed when I was 13 so he said puberty is what started my flare. Also, when I get my period my joints and legs hurt a lot worse than normal. Hope that helps you a little bit.

Saysusie
08-24-2008, 10:28 AM
Lupus generally affects women when they reach child bearing age (which is when we start menstruating). As SITC said, doctors feel that this is due to the chemical and hormonal changes that occur in our bodies when we reach child bearing age! So, it is very common for young women to experience symptoms of Lupus when they start menstruating :?

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

Gisèle
08-27-2008, 10:46 AM
My first symptoms came up when I was about 12, then everything was "quiet" for the next 5 years or so, but then at 16 everything went kind of full blown. I have read that most patients being to develop symptoms in late teens, so it would make sense.

Gingerbread Kat
09-29-2008, 07:50 AM
Hey! My Lupus started when I started my periods.
EVERY major flare has always been during my periods and my Rhuematologist just warned me to be aware and careful at that time.

Now I am at the age of menopause but haven't 'paused'.
I wonder what effect THAT will have on me.
Anyone know?
~Kathleen