PDA

View Full Version : new members-introduce yourself

wonderwoman6
08-18-2008, 06:04 PM
i was diagnosed with lupus when i was 6 months pregnant with my fifth child. she is 7 weeks old and i am overwhelmed with trying to wrap my mind around everything. i am not finding any info. on things being thrown off during pregnancy for dx. has anyone else been in this situation?

Pearl
08-20-2008, 09:16 AM
Hello and welcome to the forum. I haven't had your experience, but I am sure someone will come along soon to offer advice. In the meantime, gald you found us. You will discover that there is much support, comfort and knowledge shared here.

Jana

Saysusie
08-20-2008, 02:01 PM
Wonderwoman;

Welcome to our family. It appears that you had a successful pregnancy and your child is doing well. If that is the case, then you did not suffer from many of the concerns doctors have with Lupus and pregnancy. Many pregnant women develop antiphospholipid antibody syndrome. The antiphospholipid syndrome is a disorder of the immune system that is characterized by excessive clotting of blood and/or certain complications of pregnancy (premature miscarriages, unexplained fetal death, or premature birth) and the presence of antiphospholipid antibodies (cardiolipin or lupus anticoagulant antibodies) in the blood. Have you test positive for APS Antibodies? If so, you should be aware of the symptoms caused by blood clots.
Other than APS, pregnancy often causes Lupus symptoms to become more sever (flare-up). It has not been clearly established if this is due to the pregnancy or to the fact that many Lupus medications must be discontinued during pregnancy.
Congratulations on your successful pregnancy and your beautiful 7 week old daughter! What a blessing.

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

wonderwoman6
08-23-2008, 01:57 PM
Thank you ladies. I have tested positive for the APS antibodies. I was also anti-ro and she was born with an anomoly with the R-wave and they couldn't rule out the long QT in her heart rhythms until she was 5 weeks. She is colicky and I really think it is because she was messed with so much in the womb and when she was out. None of my other ones were this fussy. I was told I have the type that will go to my kidneys and brain if it goes anywhere and it was considered mild. I also had gestational diabetes but never had to take insulin, just the finger pricks often. My husband is going in for a vascetomy in 2 weeks, as soon as we could schedule it. This last pregnancy was the result of me going out with my girlfriends to celebrate me not nursing my daughter who is now almost 20 mo. old! Stair stepping my children has not helped things and despite me having had endometriosis and PCOS, I am very fertile. I have the antibiodies for Sjren's but don't have it. I have Renoud's. I am having debilitationg pain and weakness in my hands. I go to the Rheumy this coming Wed. for the 2nd time ever. I am really glad to have found this site and am learning so much. Thank you.

Saysusie
08-24-2008, 09:07 AM
We are also glad that you found us :lol: I'm not sure if your little one is fussy due to complications while in the womb. But, I remember my OB/GYN telling me that the state of mind of the mother during pregnancy has a great affect on the child in the uterus and after birth. If you were sick and frightened and worried during your pregnancy, that may have had an affect of your little one! Now, there are no reputable studies to verify this claim, just the belief of many pediatricians and OB/GYN doctors based upon consensus of their patients.
Many medications are unable to pass through the womb (God, in his infinite wisdom made the womb the safest place on earth). However, knowing this, many doctors will advise their pregnant patients to discontinue some medications - just to be safe. The APS syndrome can effect the pregnancy and cause detrimental pre-natal affects. However, I've researched and found nothing about the effect of APS on newborns.
Let us know how your appointment with your rheumy goes on Wednesday! I'm glad that you joined us and please know that we are here to help you as much as and in any way that we can.

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie