PDA

View Full Version : The difference between scaly and flaky rashes? Newb question

Steve88
08-03-2008, 09:28 PM
Sorry I always hear someone say my rash is scaly or my rash is flaky. I have a lot of clumps of dead dry skin that are all over my face after showers and such. If I get up close in the mirror I can see them and kind of scrape them off. Some days I'll take a shower and there will be TONS of the little dry clumps all over my face and makes a layer of dead skin. Most of the time I get it all over my nose and on my cheeks closer to my nose. Could someone describe the difference between scaly and flaky? I think scaly would be hard scales all over whereas I just have flaky dead skin all over. Are they interchangeable? Thanks for the help.

Oluwa
08-04-2008, 06:43 AM
Hi Steve...

I would say, scaly is like plaques layers, more than one in one spot..picture fish scales but with skin, which does not scrape off easily. If they would scrape off they would leave a red raw spot, still attached to fresh skin with dry edges.

Flaky to me, is light layers of dry dead skin that fluff off and doesn't leave behind a red raw spot...

Have you been to a dermatologist? Whether it is scaly of flaky I would make an appointment to find the answer as to what is there, if indeed it is malar, rosacea or something else..?

Be well,
Hugs,
Oluwa

KathyW1958
08-04-2008, 08:04 AM
Hi Steve,
I am wondering if the rash you have on your face could be eczema. I know I have problems with eczema and it makes the skin on my hands flake off and get scaley too. You can have eczema anyplace on your body from what the dermatologist told me. You need to have this checked out by a dermatologist. I had the malar rash and still get it at times, but my skin does not peel off or get scaley in that rash. Also you could be having problems with Discoidal Lupus. I hope that you get some answers and soon for this. I know the wait to see a Rhuematologist is hard to deal with. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers ok that you will get a good answer as to what is happening with you.

Hugs,
Kathy

Steve88
08-04-2008, 08:57 AM
Yes mine are very hard to scrape off I actually have to take time after my showers to manually get all the gunk off. I can be very careful with it now so it doesn't get raw but it used to when I would use facial cleansers. Its just such a pain in the butt I hate dealing with this everyday. I used to use lotion all the time thinking I had super dry skin but it did no good. Thanks for the replies.