PDA

View Full Version : Question about torn rotator cuff and tendonitis?

Jenfrombill
08-01-2008, 07:53 AM
Hi,

I am confused- I tore my rotator cuff. I have tendonitis and then actually tore a tendon in my shoulder. The problem is- I can't say how I did it, I don't know. They are baffled that I don't remember actually doing something and thinking- that hurt! This is a dumb question- but can this have anything to do with an autoimmune disease? There was a lot of interest in my hand- when I straighten my arm so my hand is pointing to the ground, it swells and turns color. The rhuemy brought in 2 other doctors and they all kept looking at me like I was a cirus freak. So they seemed baffled by it, but another doctor says it is normal since I have so much inflamtion and fluid in my shoulder. I got labs done again and my ANA are 1:640 speckled ( was 1:160) CRP 12 (from 8), and some other things SSE or SS something in the 40's? Maybe I am wrong. I only mention this because when my rhuemy was showing 2 other doctors my hand thing, she kept repeating my blood labs but she told me she is not going to say this injury is due to autoimmune or not. but can a torn tendon really be from autoimmune disease? I guess I am baffled because I have no explanation as to how I did this, just been dealing with it for about 5 weeks.

KathyW1958
08-01-2008, 08:02 AM
Hi Jen,
Wow it sounds like you have Sjogrens with all the other problems. The reason I think this is because of the speckle pattern ANA and the high titer. Did you mean that you have a pos SSA and SSB as this is related to Sjogrens too. They are anti-Ro and Anti-La antibodies. I only have the pos SSA but not the SSB and I have Sjogrens. Sjogrens can cause inflammation in the shoulders, but I am not sure if it would cause the tear, but maybe you lifted something or moved in such a way with the inflammation there that caused it to tear. Hmmm it makes you wonder. I hope that I have helped some in this post.

Hugs,
Kathy

Gerri54
08-01-2008, 08:04 AM
Hi Jen,

It is my understanding that once you have an autoimmune, disease it is not unusual to have others. I have been diagnosed with Ankylosing Spondylitis, Sjogren's, vitiligo, and now working on Celiac, Lupus, and Rheumatory arthritis.

I have had rotator cuff tendinitis with tears. Others with Ankylosing Spondylitis, and I am not saying you have Ankylosing Spondylitis, it tends to be more common with this group.

Rotator cuff tendinitis is not an autoimmune disease, but is associated can be found with other autoimmune diseases, and a lot of times it just happens.

Hugs

Gerri

Jenfrombill
08-01-2008, 08:09 AM
Hi-
Thanks for the help! I def know tendonitis is not an autoimmune disease- I guess my question was are there autoimmune diseases that can weaken your tendons, and they tear easier? I certainly have not done anything athletic! LOL!

KathyW1958
08-01-2008, 08:17 AM
Hi Jen,
Yes inflammation from an autoimmune disorder can weaken the tendons. You could have done it and not noticed it if you have inflammation in the shoulder, like Geri said in her post. Just moving that shoulder really quick or even laying wrong in the bed at night if it was inflamed to begin with. I hope that this helps.

Hugs,
Kathy

Jenfrombill
08-04-2008, 04:41 AM
Oh my... Thank you! It does help. I guess I was so confused when the doctor said she was not sure if it was related. I never knew you could get this from autoimmune disesase. I thought just the joints. Thank you guys! That may explain how I constantly do damage to my tendons. I just thought I was super klutzy! :-)