PDA

View Full Version : Do I Have Lupus?

Blazed-Arsonist
07-31-2008, 08:42 PM
Hey guys, I've been having these strange symptons for the past year, and I'd like to hear your guys opinions. First off, it all started with wierd tingling in my back, and chest, along with having to sleep long hours (12 or more) in order to be satisfied. I didn't think much of it, until recently...

The symptons have now progressed to occasional chest pains when breathing. I also occasionally develope a rash on my nose, and I have scar like tissue on my back (could be stretch marks?).

These symptons are all similar to ones people with lupus develope (as I've read on the internet). If I do have it, I believe I have a minor form of it, and it should go away with antibiotics.

KathyW1958
08-01-2008, 02:30 AM
Hi Blazed,
Welcome to the forum. I don't know if you have Lupus, but there is a list of 11 criteria that they go by to diagnose Lupus. Lupus is a very hard illness to diagnose, because it can mimic so many other diseases out there. I will put a list of the criteria that they use to diagnose Lupus in this post ok. I hope and pray that you don't have this illness. Well here is the list:

Classification criteria for systemic lupus erythematosus:1

Butterfly (malar) rash on cheeks

Rash on face, arms, neck, torso (discoid rash)

Skin rashes that result from exposure to sunlight or ultraviolet light (photosensitivity)

Mouth or nasal sores (ulcers), usually painless

Joint swelling, stiffness, pain involving 2 or more joints (arthritis)

Inflammation of the membranes surrounding the lungs (pleuritis) or heart (pericarditis)

Abnormalities in urine (test results show increased protein in the urine or clumps of red blood cells or kidney cells, called cell casts, in the urine)

Nervous system problems, such as seizures or psychosis, without known cause

Problems with the blood, such as reduced numbers of red blood cells (anemia), platelets, or white blood cells

Positive antinuclear antibody (ANA) test

Laboratory tests indicating increased autoimmune activity

I hope that this helps you out and if you want you can print out this list and put notes by the ones that are happening or have happened with you in the past. Take it with you to the doctor. You need to see a doctor and get tested for Lupus. I hope that you get some answers as to what is happening with you.

Hugs,
Kathy

Oluwa
08-01-2008, 07:31 AM
Hi Blazed..

I have a question, when you said you may have a mild form of Lupus and if you take antibiotics it should away...

Antibiotics is for infections, Lupus isn't an infection is it a disease. You can take antibiotics to treat some of the symptoms that may arise, and result into an infection.

Antibiotics to avoid are... Bactrim, Gantrisin and Septra. They are often prescribed for urinary tract infections and may cause an increase in sun sensitivity and occasionally lower blood counts resulting in disease flares.

There are also sulfa diuretics such as Dyazide and diabetic drugs containing sulfa such as Aldactone which should be avoid...

Before taking any of these drugs, if you have Lupus, one should advise the prescribing of one's condition, Lupus.

Kathy mentioned the ACR criteria for diagnosing Lupus, I would like to add, the criteria, symptoms do not have to be all at once. They can be accumulate over overs.

With that..enjoy this day.
Hugs,
Oluwa

laurid8967
08-01-2008, 09:06 AM
Yeah...Most any antibiotic I take puts me into a terrible flare...I can tolerate Zithromax (5 day treatment) with some comfort, but the rest really do a number on me.
You have some symptoms of lupus, but they also occur with hundreds of other diseases. Have you had any bloodwork run? This may help you go in the best direction. Most types of autoimmune diseases will show SOME abnormality in the blood pointing towards autoimmunity..
I hope you find your answers, and welcome to the forum!
Lauri