PDA

View Full Version : Jersey girl, just dx with Lupus

Karol
07-31-2008, 05:56 AM
Hi Everyone,

I was just dx with Lupus last week after being told I had Multiple Sclerosis for the last 3+ years. I always knew I did not have MS.........anyway, I am glad to have found this board.

I am a Jersey girl, 43, married with one 17 y/o son. I no longer work and I am on permanent disability. I used to work in Human Services with disabled people............imagine that!

I have one dog that weighs in at a whooping 100 lbs and 3 birds, one that curses better then all of us put together. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am getting ready to start on Plaquenil 400 mg daily and I am hopeful that this medicine will work and I can get back to feeling somewhat human again.

I am spending time educating myself as best I can and learning from people on Lupus boards. I am glad to have found yet another Lupus forum with informed and supportive people.

Glad to meet you all and hope to get to know you better.

Oluwa
07-31-2008, 04:33 PM
Hey Karol....

Again, welcome. ( I posted on your other thread) I am a Seattlite who is living in South Carolina...for now.

I am 47, no children..married with a JRT and a cat who is big enough to eat the small dog.

You should see good things from the Plaquenil, especially, joint and muscle pain..and tames the rash. It'll take several months...you may have nausea and headaches to start, will disappear for most but the benefits outweigh the side effects.

Have you come across The Lupus Book by Daniel Wallace, M.D., an excellent source of information...

Chat about, read about...lots of experience and knowledge here...just ask or use the search feature...

Be well..
HUgs,
OLuwa

Karol
08-01-2008, 02:15 PM
Hi Oluwa,

Just yesterday I went to pick up the Lupus book and it was $30.00......

I do not work so I could not afford to spend that.

I will go to my local library and see if they have it to rent out.

Thanks so much for the positive information on Plaquenil.

I am hoping it works quickly so that I get back on my feet and feeling like a healthy human being for a change.

Now that I have a correct dx I am keeping the faith that things will fall into place.

I appreciate your reply and support. Hope to get to know you better. :wink:

laurid8967
08-01-2008, 04:52 PM
Karol,
I just got the "Lupus Book" on Amazon.com for 4$!! They have used, like new and new books there, so you dont have to pay a fortune to get it!! I have enjoyed it so far...
Until then, make sure you check out the stickys at the top of these forums, as they have a TON of reliable info, including things WE can do to prevent flares, or lessen them when they come...
I am hoping you feel better soon..
lauri

Karol
08-01-2008, 05:43 PM
Thanks Lauri.

I will go check out Amazon and then the stickys at the top.

Thanks for the heads up. :wink:

Oluwa
08-04-2008, 08:26 AM
You're welcome Karol....

Other books you may find of interest ..

Living with Lupus by Sheldon Blau, M. D.

New Hope for People with Lupus by Theresa DiGeronimo

The Lupus Book is great for reference, to me a bit more medical which I like than the two above. The other two above, they are, New Hope is based on Wallaces info but entails more peoples experience with Lupus...as though it was a conversation written to you..the other...naw. Not that great to me...

See you about...

Be well,
Hugs,
OLuwa

Karol
08-04-2008, 05:54 PM
Thanks again so much for the book reference.

silbaugh
08-04-2008, 08:10 PM
Hi Karol,

I too was recently diagnosed. I am feeling a bit lost... Some of the things I have been reading are pretty scary. I am on Imuran as the methotrexate and plaquinal (sp) didn't work. I have been in a pretty major flare since spring. How is your family dealing with all of this? Hope you find some support here.

Kim in Wyoming

Karol
08-05-2008, 05:52 AM
Hi Kim,

My family is ok with it. You have to remember that for the last 3+ years everyone thought this was Multiple Sclerosis.........except for me.

My husband is very supportive and my son...........well he is a teenager consumed with his own life but a good kid so that is ok.

I hope you have a support system that works for you.

Good luck getting on the right meds. :wink: