PDA

View Full Version : trying to quit smoking

lornak
07-30-2008, 03:53 PM
I have been cutting back on my smoking since all the new issues have been coming up and lets face it, the money is also a big factor. my quit date is August first, but I am wondering about something. anyone know if the "stress" from quiting will cause a flare? I have been cutting back in preparation and for the last few days I have had really bad pains in my neck, shoulders and my hands. the meds are not even helping and tonight my knuckles are all swollen and red and I have small red bumps on my fingers (that part is REALLY new). I am gonna quit!!! but I just wanted to know if anyone has had the same thing happen to them.

laurid8967
07-30-2008, 04:49 PM
Lornak,
I have no advice as I am still a smoker....Shame on me, I know...As no one should be smoking, I am REALLY stupid for smoking as I was in respitory failure a few years back, and suffered damage to my lungs. They told me back then that if I started to smoke again (which I did 4 years later) it could literally kill me...I started anyways...Stress, illness, family stress, money stress...all mitigating factors, but YES stupid nonetheless.
I give you a lot of credit for quitting...it is not easy...but Im proud of you!!! Hang in there. Im not sure about the stress factor of quitting starting a flare, but maybe you could get some meds to keep your neves down? Or that new Cymbalta? (though I hears some TERRIBLE things about that medicine - BAD depression apparently)
Either way, I wish you the best..I felt so much better the four years I didnt smoke...I have to quit eventually soon as well...
Lvoe Lauri

cheryl_v
07-31-2008, 12:39 PM
Hi Lornak, I quit almost 3yrs ago after 12yrs smoking. I don't know if it causes flares, but it will cause body aches and pains. Don't give in, that will pass. At the most, about 2-3 wks depending on how often and strength of cigs you smoked. I used my tredmill for stress, even if sore and even if only a few minutes. After a month it was down hill from there. I thought I'd be honest, the first week's the hardest. Then each afters a little easier. For me cold-turkey was best, but everyone's different. Good Luck!!

NoodleMom
07-31-2008, 01:02 PM
Dont know anything about the flare ups with quitting but want to giveyou a great big HOORAH!!! for taking that on. I quit last summer. Had 10 weeks smoke free when I started again. Same supid reasons as pp. When I quit last time tho I used a patch and wellbutrin. Worked like a charm. Maybe give those a try?

Keep it up, one day again I will join ya.

K

lornak
08-02-2008, 04:46 AM
well guys,

yesterday was not totally smoke free, but I only had two. I think that is great for me. I usually smoke 1-2 packs a day.

so far today I have not had any. gonna try again for "nothing". I will let you know how it turns out. thanks for all the support!!!

Saysusie
08-02-2008, 12:12 PM
We are all in your corner! Good Luck and Congrats on only two cigs yesterday :lol:

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

sits_inthe_corner
08-02-2008, 04:33 PM
I started smoking when I was 27, yah I know...stupid. Anyway...for many yrs (I'm 48 now) I tried every method you can name to quit smoking.

Nothing worked. Frankly I like/liked smoking. I enjoyed it...I loved it...I looked foreward to it...get the picture?

My husband had a heartattack just over two yrs ago. He's doing fine. We both quit smoking then and there. Cept now I think he has started sneaking smokes again, but that's another story.

I quit cold turkey that time, cause I was fed up with "trying" to quit and nothing working for me.

So I toughed it out. I warned everyone around me to brace themselves cause this wasn't going to be pleasant but it was something I absolutely had to do.

And I frickN did it. I stll get cravings two yrs later. I still "miss" smoking. But for my sake and my husbands sake I can not ever give in.

Perhaps when I'm 80 and dont give a hoot any more...I'll smoke my brains out. But for now I'm smoke free and I am very proud of anyone who keeps trying to quit. It's the hardest thing I ever had to make myself do.

Good luck

cheryl_v
08-02-2008, 07:44 PM
Only 2, yeah :D !! How'd you do today?

lornak
08-03-2008, 03:38 PM
well today is Sunday and I am still on the "only two" deal. that is still good but my worst times are in the morning with the coffee and after supper. I am good the rest of the day. I just have to work on those two times. my coach is suppose to call on monday to see how I am doing and I will ask her for any suggestions. but thanks to all for the input and the support. I knew I could count on you guys!

cheryl_v
08-03-2008, 04:16 PM
Those were my 2 worse. Went straight to dishes after dinner, kept busy. In morning I would find something I needed to do while sipping my coffee. Still only 2 is doing great!! Keep it up :D .

Morpheus
08-04-2008, 01:21 AM
Hi Lornak,
I successfully quit smoking after nearly ten years of smoking.

Good news!!!
I had no flares, no aches, no pains, no irritability.

its been nearly 4 years now, I know u can do it.

FYI, I used the book "Allan Carr's easy way to quit smoking"

Two mantras that always worked for me,
"I do not smoke because I stress, I stress because I smoke"
"Im doing this because I want to do this."
It gives me control back in my life.

You need to remember, the more u smoke the more u're body craves.
The actual craving from your body will only last for about 5 minutes, the rest is just all habit.

One important lesson the book has taught me though, was that the mind over matter technique just simply does not work. We always lose,

Instead of saying to myself " I AM NOT GOING TO THINK OF SMOKING"
I instead say, "ITS OK TO THINK OF IT,JUST DONT DO IT"
as long as my body can get rid of it, my mind wnt need it.

Good luck,
And get the book, I swear it works.

ColleenT
08-04-2008, 04:51 AM
Hi Lornak,,

Fantastic news! Only you could make that decision. :D

Keep lots of healthy nibbly things in the fridge - carrots , celery, apples,, fruit etc

Keep very busy with things you really enjoy doing! (excluding smoking), walking, running, gardenung, sewing or start a new hobby!

Treat yourself to a massage each week or so - if you've been 'good'. Much healthier than cigarettes!

Good Luck and keep going!

ColleenT

NoodleMom
08-04-2008, 05:08 AM
Im sure you know this but jic. For the morning coffee and the after supper times can you change the routine. Go for a walk instead of sitting down with your coffee. Put it in a travel mug and walk The idea is to change the things you do so that if you usually sat down at the table and had coffee as watched the news switch it a walk or a new place to sit, anything that is different.

hth k

cherie
09-22-2008, 04:59 AM
I was a smoker for ten years and i quit three weeks ago ive not smoked at all i just stopped dead.
It helped because i had a op on the 6of sep so i had no choice to stop but its been really hard cus my husband is still smoking.

Morpheus
09-22-2008, 05:28 AM
Keep strong cheri, u can do it!
We are all here for u :)

deester
09-22-2008, 01:14 PM
I have been trying to quit for about 4 years and have not been successful. Can't use any aids at all so it has to be cold turkey for me. Everytime I try I get so aggravated, mad, then tearful, lost my best friend, end of the world....I just don't seem to handle it well. I have been smoking for 20 years!! I started when I was 13!! :oops:

No one in my house smokes except me and I just can't seem to kick it. Maybe starting right now I will give this another shot! I want to quit!! I will admit to enjoying smoking and the temporary dulling of emotions it offers me but dang Im tired of being a slave to it. I will take all the advice I can get right now!

sits_inthe_corner
09-22-2008, 01:24 PM
WOW deester

I would love to give you a great pep talk but I've fallen off the wagon three weeks ago after two yrs of not smoking and I'm trying to climb back on but the stupid horse wont slow down.

We went to visit family three weeks ago and turned out I was the only non smoker :shock:

I can handle being around people who smoke with out wanting one. But the kicker was my husband (who quit the same time I did) suddenly pulled out a pack of smokes.

:?

The last time I quit because he had a heart attack and we both needed to quit.

I did so cold turkey. I was a mess for three days, but three days pass just as quickly and anyother day. So I need to get stuborn with myself and put an end to the smoking.

I told my self that if I wanted to I could start smoking at age 70 :lol: ... that seemed to shut the little nicotine monster inside of me.

Stuborn attitued is what got me through it the last time. So I'll have to muster up that same attitude and do it again.

On the plus side....I really did enjoy being smoke free...it was lovely and I DID feel so much better. I want that again.

Hugsss and good luck.

cherie
09-23-2008, 06:45 AM
Thank you i will keep strong each day gets easier thankfully.
My hubby was convinced i would start smokeing again but i think because he said that it made me more determent to stop.

deester
09-23-2008, 08:30 AM
My hubby says I will never quit either. I think most men have no concept of how to be helpful and encouraging. I said this to my hubby and the idiot opened his mouth and asked me to tell him exactly what to say and what to do to help me quit smoking...I was in a foul mood and told him he could SAY I am SORRY you are having a tough time can I get you anything other than a cig? AND he can DO for me is drop dead. I slammed the door at that point had a good cry then meekly went back to the living room and crawled in his lap like a little kid. In his defense he is a really great guy and he just gently held me. I did apologize to him and he apologized to me and said he really can be an idiot and i told him he is only an idiot when he is awake. That made us both laugh and the night went a bit better.

However when I woke up this morning in so much pain, alone, and could not get out of bed I cracked and had a cig. I do not know how I will ever succeed when I hurt so much all the time!

sits_inthe_corner
09-23-2008, 02:07 PM
how about this....quit for a week...just a week...completely NO NO NO smoking...NON...NOT A...ZIP.

If you want to have a smoke after your week is up....then fine. But give your self the gift of one week....and see how you feel.

:)

I know how hard it is...I'm trying to quit too.

cherie
09-24-2008, 05:42 AM
I shall keep my fingers crossed for you i still feel like i want a cig but then i think well its been this long so why turn bak now
good luck x

deester
09-24-2008, 08:04 AM
Thank you for the encouragemnet both of you. We can do this! 1 week huh? Ok which week shall we try this? :lol:

cherie
09-26-2008, 05:24 AM
Lol what you like!!!
Id get yourself a bag of lollypops to suck on apparently its the holding of something like that in your hand that takes your mind of it .

sits_inthe_corner
09-26-2008, 09:08 AM
I've picked my day...I'm starting tomorrow.

Hubby was having chest pains last night. He had a heart attack two years ago, and that's why we quite.

He started smoking again last March :roll: but I wasn't supposed to have figured that out....DUH like I wouldn't notice.

I started smoking again three weeks ago, but it feels like I never quit. So I am truely starting all over again from step one on how to quit.

If he doesn't quit this time ... he wont have to worry about going to the hospital with another heart attack...he'll be going with a concusion :lol:

Where's my fry pan?

He has a new staff memeber traveling with him today and he says he feels fine....but I'm still worried.

I'm glad today is Friday and I can watch him like a hawk over the weekend.

He says he's ready to quit, so we'll try to get through three days with out shooting our mouths off at each other...I see a lot of short walks in my near future.

I chew Tango fruite flavored gum and drink alot of water to get me through the cravings...and just let the wave of panic and need for nicotine wash over me and fade away.

I found that after three days the waves become a ripple and fad to nothing.

I'm a very stuborn person....so I just need to turn that stuborness on the nicotine and not let it win the better of me.

It really is a pleasure being smoke free. No more standing out in cold icky weather to have a smoke...no worrying if the store is still open cause I ran out of smokes.

No gagging cause I accidently lit the wrong end of the cigerette :lol:

Looking foreward to being free again.

Oluwa
09-26-2008, 12:20 PM
My Addiction...

I was a puffer for a couple of decades. I always a had a cloud of smoke, gray rings above my head and yellow stained fingers. Okay I wasn't that gross, nor yellow.

It has been over five ..six years since I snuffed my last cig.. Sheesh..was it Oh- two, or Oh- three. I forget... that stinking friend. My husband remembers...

I just quit, no cold turkey was given. I just said today is the day and never went back, though I longed and craved to many times.

While quitting my daily words to myself. Egads, crying out loud, cripes I need a cigarette I would say out loud then, took a deep breath...held it for as long as I could then, exhaled slowly through my nose. Basically that is what we do when we smoke. Inhale deeply let the smoke char our lungs and exhale half of what we inhaled. Yuck hey. A bad way to relax, rid ourselves of stress.

The withdrawals will leave but the memory of the habit lingers for a bit longer. Find an activity to replace it. Twist paper clips till they break. Read magazines, sew, paint, walk,..nothing that is associated with, when you smoked, well not until you kick the "habit". You know the habits, the courtship we have with cigs...time of day, with what, with who, when...

Chewing gum or sucking on candy will get tiresome and also you're left with a raw tongue or sore jaw...replace it with a do....do some activity of the mind or body.

I can't imagine a cig between my fingers now and before when I smoked I couldn't imagine me without one. I believed it was so apart of me, my gesture, my personality. It wasn't. It wasn't my friend..it lied.

It isn't glamourous like the old cigarette ads of yesteryears portrayed. Reeling the women of those days in. My Mum was one of them. She died of cancer.

We look like women with a dirty cigarette hanging out of our mouths. Nothing more, nothing less. For me, I started because it was part of growing up I thought. Like going to college, getting a job. Silly thoughts of a naive teenage girl.

I could never start smoking again...and put myself again through the quitting, the gruel. That is what really kept me smoke free. The reminder of what I went through. Today the smell of cigs makes me nauseated, how can anyone who has never smoked tolerated our second hand smoke.

When I pass a smoker I hold my breath and smile...Cheers to smoke free places...

Change is never an easy task..If you stumble one minute and fire up, know you can pick up where you left off the next minute. A stumble is never a failure...resume, crumble the pack and toss it out and forgive yourself. Your efforts are never lost. It took me several attempts to quit.

Hugs..and never listen to the naysayers. I believe in you all, you can quit.

Love you,
Oluwa

sits_inthe_corner
09-26-2008, 12:51 PM
:) You're right Oluwa ... you never fail at quitting smoking so long as you keep at it.