PDA

View Full Version : question about Hypothyroidism and Lupus

Mimimama2004
07-27-2008, 03:17 PM
Hello All....I am actually not diagnosed with lupus just yet...I'm just about 99% sure that I have it after reading and researching endlessly on the internet. I have a new crackerjack endocrinologist (my third one) who is currently looking into why my thyroid is completely out of whack "all the time"... and because I have a lot of relatives with several different kinds of other auto-immune diseases including lupus which took the life of my 11-year old 1st cousin when I was 15...she is also checking me for lupus. After seeing her last week, she suggested that maybe all this pain could be lupus. She started me on a new dose of Synthroid and I have a lab slip with a million blood tests that I have to do in another week. I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism in 2003 and ever since then..I have continued to have extremely painful joints (especially in the morning). I look like a 95 year old woman who can barely walk. It is SO SO painful and I'm at my wits-end. I have seen dozens of doctors for what seems like an endless amount of problems. I'm sick and tired of tests coming back "normal" and having the medical staff look at me like I'm wasting their time. I have gained 38 pounds in the past year (I am a 5-mile walker/pilates 2 x's a week gal) and am a healthy eater. I rarely snack. This is so distressing and embarrasing. Does anyone out there relate? I am 46 years old. My main symptoms are painful joints (knees, ankles, hips, elbows)...If I sit for more than 5 minutes..I have to actually psyche myself up to get up and straighten out. It is so painful in the hip area. I have battled with mild depression and anxiety. I know I sound a little stressed right now and I may not be coming off in my usual intellectual way...I'm not having a good day today. I am looking forward to hearing from someone who can relate and might possibly offer me some advise.
Thanks so very much,
Martha

Oluwa
07-27-2008, 07:50 PM
Hi Martha...

Welcoming you with open arms...

You sound fine, Martha in your writing...sometimes when we are stressed and overwhelmed the words seem like they flow with out reason..I understood you.

Many of us can related to the weight gain and for the love of me, us it just won't leave. For different reasons we tow it about. From medicine, the inability to exercise...but fat is fat no matter how it found you, us, eh....?

I know the feeling of being embarrassed of being over weight. I use to be a bulimic/anorexic... My weight gain may not be alot to some, but for someone before recovery, if I gained a few pounds, to me it was devastating. Now, I am over weight...the bloat. I call it the middle age spread, I am 47...ran out of estrogen, like a tank of gas for a car. Now I rust.. I weight 126...I would like to be 115. I am short....5'3 1/2"

Have you tried swimming, it is so wonderful. I love it. Protects your joints, and you get the good cardio, burn calories..gets the oxygen to the muscles to help them from aching. I even do sit-ups modified...the bicycle in the water. Saysusie recommended short fins. I tell you, I love them. It makes the world of difference in the cardio department...

I have joint and muscle pain, at every bend, at even connection. Three back surgeries...and it is doing my body good. I have been diagnosed with Lupus, Fibro, Sjogren's and Rest leg Syndrome...

I found this at www.mayoclinic.com...

People with under active thyroid (hypothyroidism) often have joint and muscle problems due to low levels of thyroid hormone, such as:

* Muscle aches, tenderness and stiffness, especially in the shoulders and hips
* Joint pain and stiffness
* Swelling of the knee joint and small joints in the hands and feet
* Carpal tunnel syndrome

Joint problems caused by hypothyroidism are difficult to distinguish from rheumatoid arthritis. Both can cause painful, swollen and stiff joints often worse after rest. But people with hypothyroidism often have less morning stiffness. They may also have attacks of pseudogout.

Treatment of joint and muscle problems due to hypothyroidism is directed at the underlying thyroid disorder. These problems often improve dramatically with thyroid hormone treatment. Pain relievers may help joint discomfort.

Many people with hypothyroidism have an increased risk of developing other autoimmune diseases, such as rheumatoid arthritis. If pain, stiffness and swelling don't improve after adequate thyroid treatment, consult your doctor.

Pseudogout is a type of arthritis that, as the name implies, can cause symptoms similar to gout, but in reaction to a different type of crystal deposit. Pseudogout, sometimes referred to as calcium pyrophosphate deposition disease, can cause severe episodes of localized pain and swelling resulting in incapacitation for days or weeks. It also can cause more chronic arthritis that mimics osteoarthritis or rheumatoid arthritis. Knees are most often involved but wrists, shoulders, ankles, elbows or hands can be affected.

Have you been examined for Fibromyalgia too? Are they treating your joint pain...?

Hope this little info helps...let us know how your test come out. Read about, chat up...again welcome, Martha.

I hope tomorrow will be a better day and you will be able to find joy in it...
Sweet dreams...hugs,
Oluwa

laurid8967
07-28-2008, 07:37 AM
Hi Martha and welcome -
You sound fine to me...I know personally the struggle you are going through with Dx....It is a truly sad fact that there are too many of us suffering needlessly with these symptoms. The problem lies with lack of education/lack of advance in Dx tools for this lousy disease. I suffered for many years with these symptoms, and was finally dxd this year (Thank You God). Dont give up....
Until you find your answer, there are many things you can do on your own to prevent flares, or lessen them if they occur. Look at the stickys on this forum...
Dont be discouraged...there are more of us that waited far too long to be Dxd than there are those who were Dxd quickly...Until then, everyone is welcome here - which is wonderful - we understand and are here for you.
Be persisitent and take care of yourself! Keep us posted..
Love Lauri

Mimimama2004
07-28-2008, 10:24 AM
Thank you so much for your replies....It is comforting to know that there are people out there who care. I will keep you posted. Until then...when I get a little extra time I will be reading more posts to stay informed.
Martha