PDA

View Full Version : Jaw pain, relief ideas?

cheryl_v
07-21-2008, 12:13 PM
Any ideas how to relieve jaw pain? Meds don't quite cut it. Its right in the joint, both sides. Kind of fades down the jaw bone, almost to chin. It doesn't ease up, been this way for a couple days. Now a headache is coming on to go with it. Heat or cold best? I swear its not my day, this jaw pain and fatigue. Had bone pain when I got up that didn't fade like usual, and woke with mouth sores yesterday that are bright red around them now. The light has been bothering me for days, hard to type. I feel like I need my shades on to look at the screen. This jaw pain is the worse of all the pain. Every time I call doc for joint pain, they have me come in. Then look me over and say they "can't find anything that could be causing it, need something for the pain?" Then send me home. They try, really nice people, but when will they get that you can't see the cause. It doesn't stand out like a bruise or a knot. That reminds me, I have a couple bruises again on my arms. I have no idea from what, they don't hurt either. So weird :? . Any ideas for relief for this relentless pain, please?

Pretti in Pink
07-21-2008, 05:28 PM
Sorry no ideas on this but I do hope you get better soon.

cheryl_v
07-21-2008, 07:31 PM
Thanks Pretti in Pink, your so sweet :D .

ColleenT
07-22-2008, 01:38 AM
Hi Cheryl,

I'm also a jaw pain girl and I really do sympathise with you. I'm on Celebrex and although it seems to help for most of the other joint pains it doesn't always seem to be as effective with the jaw pains.

I can't give you any tips either but I do wish you a quick recovery from this horrible thing!

All the best
ColeenT

KathyW1958
07-22-2008, 02:12 AM
Hi Cheryl,
I am wondering if when you are asleep if you are clenching your teeth or grinding your teeth? Do you have a mouth guard. I had jaw pain like that for the longest time and all they could figure out is that this is what I was doing. I don't what else it could be.

Kathy

cheryl_v
07-22-2008, 06:27 AM
Hi Colleen and Kathy. Sorry you two have this pain as well. I didn't clench my teeth this time. I've caused jaw pain before from that, this is deeper and more ache to the pain as well. Woke this morning with ill stomache feel as well to add to everything. As if eating wasn't hard enough, now nothings agreeing with my stomache. Not like anything's appealing anyways. So tired, but body joint pain is less today :? . At least something's giving me a break. How long does steady jaw pain last for everyone else. The most I've had is a day or so, this is more intense and a few days now. Dental work was almost 2wks ago, so I'm sure thats not it. Can stress cause it, even if you don't clench the jaw? Its been real hectic around here lately. I'm ready for the loony-bin for a vacation :lol: .

Saysusie
07-22-2008, 11:44 AM
Cherylv
I have intense jaw pain and have been diagnosed with TMJ. (TMJD, TMJ or TMD), or TMJ syndrome, is an umbrella term covering acute or chronic inflammation of the temporomandibular joint, which connects the lower jaw to the skull. The disorder and the dysfunction caused by it manifest in extreme pain and impairment. Because the disorder transcends the boundaries between several health-care disciplines in particular, dentistry, neurology, physical therapy, and psychology there are a variety of quite different treatment approaches to it.

The temporomandibular joint is susceptible to many of the conditions that affect other joints in the body, including connective tissue/collagen disorders (such as Lupus), Fibromyalgia, ankylosis, arthritis, trauma, dislocations, developmental anomalies, and neoplasia. TMJ is often seen as an overlapping syndrome in patients with some of the above mentioned illnesses.

there are many symptoms of TMJ disorder. Everyone is different, therefore the disorder can and does manifest itself in a variety of ways. The following are just some of the common symptoms:

Eye Pain and Eye Problems:
Bloodshot eyes
Blurring of vision
Eye pain above, below and behind eye
Pressure behind eyes
Light sensitivity
Watering of the eyes

Head Pain, Headache Problems, Facial Pain:
Migraines
Forehead pain
Cluster headaches
"Sinus Type" headache
Hair and/or scalp painful or sensitive to touch
Headaches at the back of the head, with or without shooting painTeeth and Gum Problems:
Clenching during the day or at night (often, we are unaware that we do this!)
Grinding teeth at night (bruxism) -(again, we are often unaware that we do this)
Tooth pain
Sensitive teeth

Mouth, Face, Cheek, and Chin Problems:
Discomfort or pain to any of these areas
Pain in cheek muscles
Uncontrollable tongue movements
Jaw and Jaw Joint Problems
Limited opening
Inability to open the jaw smoothly or evenly
Jaw deviates to one side when opening
Inability to find the correct bite with teeth
Clicking or popping jaw joints
Uncontrollable jaw movements

Ear Pain, Ear Problems:
Hissing, buzzing, ringing, or roaring sounds
Diminished hearing
Clogged, "stuffy", itchy ears
Feeling of fullness
Ear pain without infection
Balance problems, vertigo, dizziness

Throat Problems:
Swallowing difficulties
Tightness of throat
Sore throat with no infection
Voice fluctuations
Laryngitis
Tongue Pain

Neck and Shoulder Problems:
Neck pain
Tired, sore neck problems
Shoulder aches
Back pain (upper and lower)
Arm and finger tingling, numbness, and/or pain
Stiffness

Treatment:
* Antiinflammatory pain medications such as aspirin or acetaminophen (Tylenol) or ibuprofen (Motrin, Aleve) may ease the pain of TMJ syndrome.

* Eat a diet of soft foods.

* Apply warm compresses on the area of pain. Home therapy includes mandible (lower jaw) movements, such as opening and closing the jaw from side to side. Try this after a warm compress is applied for 20 minutes. The lower jaw movements should be repeated three to five times a day, five minutes continuously each time, for about two to four weeks.

* Some doctors will prescribe a mouth piece to wear at night if they suspect that we grind or clench out teeth.

It is very important to keep in mind that everyone is different. It might be a good idea for you to ask your doctor to examine you for your jaw pain in order to get a diagnosis and proper treatment.

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

cheryl_v
07-22-2008, 12:13 PM
Thanks Saysusie, that was very helpful. I was scared to apply heat or cold. I have no luck at times. Once I applied cold to a joint, intense pain immediatly that took hours to go away. Once I applied warmth to a joint, increased an infection I didn't know I had at the time. I ended up on antibiotics. Told ya, no luck :lol: .

That is quite a variety of symptoms, many I do have. Its amazing one could get a dx of TMJ, those symptoms could mean anything. Once told doc of joint pain, milder then, a while back this year. Said all joints can be effected by a CTD and/or FMS and left it at that. Didn't examine the jaw in any way, so I assumed a new joint pain I needed to learn to live with. I go for a follow up soon, I'll metion again. Thanks for the home remedy ideas, hopefully relief will be around one of those corners.

Thanks to eveyone, I am coming to my wits end on this jaw pain. Just getting over shingles, now slammed into this. Does the body ever get a break? May we all have some relief :D .

mnjodette
07-23-2008, 04:40 PM
You poor girl...you're not having a very good week, huh? I'm sorry you're being dumped on all at once. Hugs to you, Cheryl.

I have had TMJ in the past and it flares up once in a while. As my joint pain worsens (thought that had missed me...NOT!) I wouldn't be surprised if my jaw pain reappears. I had a mouthpiece made by my dentist, as he was pretty sure I was grinding my teeth and clenching my jaw at night. Wonder what I'm dreaming about when I do that!

Saysusie provided an incredible list of symptoms that can be related to TMJ...yikes! I hope you can find something to relieve yours.

Jody

cheryl_v
07-23-2008, 07:37 PM
Thanks Jody. I tried the heat, oh so nice :D . Unfortunately the pain came back almost instantly when heat was removed. It was still a pleasure to have some relief, thanks Saysusie :D . Eating the softer food helped too, not so much pain when done with a meal. Hopefully nothing else will start, although the new meds for sleeping do help. Maybe some relief will come soon for us all :D (just trying to be optomistic without a jaw cracking smile :lol: ). Ok I'll shut up now :D , I'm rambling and not sure if I'm making sense.

Saysusie
07-24-2008, 08:36 AM
You are most welcome and you are making perfect sense because we all understand and, as I said, I suffer with intense jaw pain also. The mouth piece at night has helped me because I guess that I either clench my teeth at night or grind my teeth at night :cry: . I do find myself, on occassion, grinding my teeth when I am in deep concentration, so I guess it is not unreasonable to assume that I do the same when I am asleep!

The heat helps as long as it is applied, so I am totally with you there! I hope that your doctor recommends something to you that will have long term affects! Take Care

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

cheryl_v
07-24-2008, 09:49 AM
Thanks, me too :D .

ColleenT
07-25-2008, 01:50 AM
Saysuzie your very comprehensive list of symptoms associated with TMJ was a revelation to me. Thanks for all the info. I consisdered the jaw problems as a symptom of SLE and or Sjogren's. I found it interesting that TMJ is a condition with its own set of symptoms.

I could clearly identify with the group of symptoms associated with the eye. I honestly thought the eye problems were "old age creeping up".

Cheryl, you've had such a rough deal lately. I do hope things ease up and give you a break! thinking of you.

All the best
Colleen

cheryl_v
07-25-2008, 06:06 AM
Thanks, me too. May we all get some relief :D .