PDA

View Full Version : Wondering...

Maggie79
07-16-2008, 10:58 PM
Hi all, this community is refreshing and so informative, thank you! I have a question, I have been diagnosed with Lupus about 6 months ago and have been on methotrexate, plaquinel, folic acid and prendesone (sp?) during that time. It took awhile for me to feel anything, but then I started feeling better. My extreme fatigue started to fade, along with my fogginess, muscel pain and best of all, my dire knee pain (which was leading to surgery) has completly disappeared!!

But these past few weeks (without deviating from my medication routine), I am starting to feel the same way I did before I started taking the medicine (except knee pain and muscel pain is still gone). I'm starting to become extremely tired again, unable to stay awake and focused after I come home from work and unable to drag myself out of bed in the morning, but then when I try to go to bed I toss and turn and feel like my skin is crawling. I am also getting foggy again...the other day I ran a red light after ignoring my friends request to stop (argh!), and also forgeting who I've told things too.

Good thing is that this sleepiness and forgetfulness doesn't seem to affect work at all, just seems that when I'm not completely focused on something that I have these brain farts.

Sorry so long!! So I guess my question is...does anyone have their symptoms return while they are still on medicine? I'm seeing my doctor again in a few weeks and will let her know this, but wasn't sure if this is typical? I have refilled my perscription, but it looks like the dosage is the same as before. Maybe I'm overanalyzing and it's just stress?

Oluwa
07-17-2008, 08:57 AM
Hi Maggie..

The medicine does make us feel better, managing the symptoms, but we still get flares..mild to severe...

Have you changed anything to possibly trigger a flare. Sun, exercise, physical work...stress...and sometimes they just come. That is the disease...

It is typical, and do mention your symptoms to your doctor...it could be something more starting. Key...to catch and treat symptoms earlier before they evolve...

If it increases and your appointment is several weeks away I would suggest asking if you may come in earlier.

My norm is constant joint and muscle pain, mild to moderate..intermittent fog and several restless nights.

My flare is when my face lights up and I can barely walk or lift a dish...

You will find your norm, your triggers and when to distinguish what is a flare too, the cause, well most of the time..and avoid the causes...

Be well,
Hugs
Oluwa

Maggie79
07-17-2008, 09:58 AM
Thanks so much for the response! I haven't been doing anything different, just a little more stress at work, so maybe that is it? I'll make sure to talk to my doctor about it.

:)

Tohaveornot
07-17-2008, 10:04 AM
Hey Maggie,

I've been around books about Lupus since I was 6, so while my experience is iffy, my knowledge is pretty solid.

Stress is a huge trigger for a flare. It's going to be difficult to control because, let's face it the world is a stressful place, but with time and a good support group you can get through even the toughest of times.

Exercise is important for lupus patients, and a great stress reliever. I suggest cardio; it's better for you physically, it burns lots of fat (and calories) and releases a number of endorfins(sorry that my spelling is off).

Sorry you are feeling icky!
-Hil

Maggie79
07-17-2008, 10:34 AM
Thanks so much! I do go to the gym about 3x a week, couldn't hurt to go more though :D

Oluwa
07-17-2008, 01:27 PM
You're welcome Maggie...

Key words in everything we do. Know your limits...moderation in anything and everything...eats, stress, work, play, exercise...

Everyday stress... try yoga, pilates..a stretching DVD, swimming...deep breathing. Swimming is great to get the heart pumping, refreshing and easier on the joints, knees and muscles...

Abnormal amount of stress....restructure...re-prioritize, converse, evaluate, delegate...and make time for you...

Hope you are able to find a bit of enjoyment to relax this evening...relax....

Hugs,
Oluwa