PDA

View Full Version : Air conditioner

Ghina
07-16-2008, 04:18 AM
hello ladies, it has been a while. Just finished school and trying the enjoy the summer vacation!
I have noticed lately that my joints hurt when I am in an airconditioned room. I know that humidity used to make me in pain. I used to live in montreal and the summer, being very humid, caused me a lot of fatigue and pain. Now, we moved to the city of Riyadh which is in the desert! The temperature here reaches 50s and 40s in the shade, so you can't live without an AC.
I just wanted to know if theres a relation between the AC and joint pain in lupus patients...
thanks

KathyW1958
07-16-2008, 05:26 AM
Hi Ghina,
I am glad to hear from you. I have had Lupus most of my life, but did not get diagnosed until I was 36. I tend to find that I do better in an air conditioned enviromnent as long as it is not to cool. My joints seem to hurt worse in extreme heat and humidity. I live in Souther Georgia and it is hot here in the summer, so we have to have air conditioning. Are you having the air conditioning on to high? I am sure there will be some others that will be able to answer this better for you.

Hugs,
Kathy

Ghina
07-16-2008, 06:10 AM
thanks kath,
actually I set it to 79F, as I said the average temp here is 113F. unlike u I noticed lately that its causing me pain. I am not sure still thu. The waether is very dry here, and when my husband decided to move here I was counting the dry weahter as one of the pros of coming to saudi arabia. I get bothered the most when in the car and ac on. So is it smth else and i am just mixed up?

KathyW1958
07-16-2008, 06:43 AM
Hi Ghina,
You mentioned that it bothers you the most in the car. I am wondering if you are reacting more to the sun and UV rays in the car. I know that I have a problem with the car too and when I let my Rheumatologist know this he told me that it is most likely more from the sun and the UV rays that come through the windows. You see people with Lupus will actually sunburn right through the windshield of the car. I am just wondering is all.

Hugs,
Kathy

Saysusie
07-16-2008, 11:02 AM
HI Ghina;
I am inclined to agree with Kathy. In your car, it is probably due more to the UVA and UVB rays that do come right through the windows of your car. I've had to have the windows on my car tinted and, if I am wearing shorts, I keep a towel in my car to cover my legs while driving.
It is imperative that you wear sunscreen ALL OF THE TIME because, as you can see, a short trip in our car can cause problems. I use sunscreen as a body lotion each and every day - from head to toe.
Also, Lupus can cause arthritic like pain which does respond to heat and cold (just like RA). So, being in air-conditioned rooms for extended periods of time can cause joints to stiffen a bit (as well as other symptoms). Also, what type of lighting are you using in your home? Fluorescent lighting is harmful to us and can cause symptoms.

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie