PDA

View Full Version : What is THIS?

angiefaye
07-15-2008, 02:08 PM
I am new to this site and I hope I am on the right page. I have been diagnosed with Lupus/ Mixed Connective Tissue Disease for 5 years. I have had several symtoms along the way, most of which I can research or ask my rhemy and get an answer- until now! I have a rash in my nose and around my lips. I have another rash on the top of my foot. I have never had these before. I asked my family doc and she said she had no idea what it is, gave me some cream that didn't work. I have also noticed terrible headaches and extreme fatigue since I have had this rash stuff. Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks and God bless!
Angie

laurid8967
07-15-2008, 04:10 PM
Angie -
Hello and welcome...
It sounds as if you are in a flare...Were you out in the sun before you got the rash? Rashes are one of the hallmark signs of lupus and are very commom amoung us. I get them up my nose too and mouth and it is LOUSY!! Its too bad your doctor couldnt prescribe you some oral prednisone. That is very good at getting rid of lupus rashes most of the time.
Are you on any medications for your lupus? It may be time for you to start them on a regular basis to keep your flares under control... I would definately see your doctor again.
There will be more of us along soon to welcome you, and give you excellent, dependable info. Let us know how it goes -a goodluck!
Lauri

Faith
07-15-2008, 08:52 PM
Hi Angie,

I have had a rash around my mouth when in a flare, everyone is different and effects are different. I also get rashes on my shoulders and back even covered with UV clothing and taking Plaquenil. I am just more sensitive than most.

What are you presently taking to control it? Prednisone, plaquenil, or methotrexate? I finally had to see a dermatologist who specializes in Lupus. It was a search; but it helps to have a dermo who knows what to use. For the rash, you can use anything over the counter that has cortisone listed in the ingredients such as Cortaid, hydrocortisone. If it is a flare, cortisone cream applied 2x daily should help. If it doesn't, it is not a Lupus flare.

Take care,

Faith :lol:

Ghina
07-16-2008, 03:56 AM
hey angie, I know the feeling. I once had a rash around my mouth and on my hand between my fingers. It turned out to be a fungal infection. Hope its not a flare! Take care

Oluwa
07-16-2008, 11:41 AM
I've been researching rashes, since as of late I am covered with one...

Follow the link for information regarding rashes...
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003220.htm

L.,
O.

laurid8967
07-16-2008, 02:44 PM
I currently have sores on the corner of my mouth, in my nose and my doc noticed a couple in my ear!! uuughhh....Im attributing it to my bad reaction to the sun on Saturday.
You cant see any of them, Thank God, as my face has just become ROUND as a basketball from the prednisone this week. That plus sores wouldnt be very attractive...
Dont forget the magenta cheeks and swollen eyelids!! I feel pretty...oh so pretty...(anyone know that old song?)
Lauri

KathyW1958
07-16-2008, 02:49 PM
Hi Lauri,
I think you said where you have Sjogrens with the Lupus. I am thinking about the sores you say you have in the corners of your mouth. I am wondering if you have been tested for a Vitamin B12 deficiency as that is usually seen with a B12 deficiency. Just wondering is all.

Hugs,
Kathy

laurid8967
07-16-2008, 03:11 PM
Hiya Kathy,
I have, in the past, suffered from B12 deficiency - had to go to the hospital every month for shots...
My tests have come back ok though the past few months. But, I do think I had a flare of my Sjorgrens this week as well, as my mouth was SOOOO DRYYY this week and last. I mean, I couldnt even swallow. COmbine that with the swollen espophegas (SP) and it was soft, soupy, squishy food for me for a couple of days!!
Thanks for thinking of me!
Love Lauri

KathyW1958
07-16-2008, 03:17 PM
Hi Lauri,
I hear you there. I gets affected by both, the Lupus and the Sjogrens with the dry mouth and things like that. I end up eating soft foods too. I usually suck on lemon drops if the dryness bothers me to much to cause me to salivate.

Hugs,
Kathy

laurid8967
07-16-2008, 04:16 PM
Well, I make it even worse with smoking (I know, I know - so bad!!). Its a little better, as are the rest of the symptoms I developed after Sat. Kathy, does your Sjorgrens flare up with sun as well? Or does a lupus flare trigger the Sjorgrens (Good Lord - theres always SOMETHING going on!!).
Also, I believe that you were (or are) on Imuran. My rheumie is thinking of putting me on this so I can get off of the plaq. What are your thoughts on Imuran?
Thanks Lauri