PDA

View Full Version : Hi from South Dakota

bunker_57
07-08-2008, 09:34 PM
Hi! Just call me bunker, I am 50 and have been diagnosed for 4 yrs. No dr seemed to know what was going on with me, so they guessed and asked how my home life was, and was I depressed. When I got drop foot and almost fell through a window at work, they still asked me if I was depressed and even tried to blame me for getting drop foot, like I did it on purpose. I actually was diagnosed by my gynecologist, who noticed my malar rash and then he did some blood tests and when the results came back he told me that I needed to see my regular dr and have her set me up with a rhuematologist That was that and now I have a diagnosis of SLE mild remitting symptoms.

KathyW1958
07-09-2008, 02:34 AM
Hi Bunker,
Welcome to the site. My name is Kathy. I will be 50 in December. I also have SLE and have had it for years. I am glad that you got diagnosed and am doing ok. I can not believe that they would try to blame you for getting drop foot. There is no way that a person can just give themselves drop foot. I would have laughed at them and told them to demonstrate how you give yourself drop foot. I think that that is rediculous for them to act like that to you. I am glad that your doctor was on the ball and discovered the Malar Rash for what it was. A lot of doctors would have missed that. I am glad that you got diagnosed.

Hugs,
Kathy

Oluwa
07-09-2008, 07:22 AM
Hi Bunker....

Welcoming you with open arms...

I am happy you didn't crash through the window and your GYN was looking out for you. Good for him, good for you...

Managing our symptoms, dosing with our meds, can keep IT in the mild stage as you are experiencing . Keep taking care of you...

Again hugs...
Keep looking for your wellness.
Be well,
OLuwa

Saysusie
07-09-2008, 10:14 AM
Hi Bunker;
Welcome to our family :lol: I am happy that you found us and that you decided to join us.
I had to do a search on "Drop Foot" as I had no idea what that was. After doing so, I can understand your disbelief that someone would actually accuse you or blame you for getting this condition. But, I am not at all surprised that an employer would do and say anything to escape any liability.
With reference to your Lupus, you are quite lucky that you found a doctor (albeit an OB/GYN) who recognized the malar rash and acted quickly to get you tested and referred for treatment. Hopefully, your lupus will remain mild and never escalate.
I, too, have mild Lupus. But, you and I can still have flare-ups, so it is important that we take all of the same precautions as do those with severe Lupus. In this way, we can avoid flare-ups and we can keep our Lupus from escalating. So, we must avoid the sun, always (ALWAYS) wear sun screen, get good recuperative rest, engage in a regular exercise program that is non-jarring, maintain a healthy diet, take our medications as prescribed, keep all of our doctor's appointments, and make diligent attempts to avoid stress.
Everyone here is willing to help in any way that they can. There will always be someone available who can answer your questions, provide information, respond to your queries, and give you understanding and comfort. You are not alone when you are here with us :lol:

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

NoodleMom
07-09-2008, 04:44 PM
Welcome Bunker!
Glad you found us. This is a wonderful group of people. You will find support, caring and a listening ear when needed.

Kasey

bunker_57
07-10-2008, 12:07 AM
Thankyou all, I try to follow the rules and stick to what seems to work. As for stress, now that my son has returned to the states and is out of Iraq, I am much less stressed. Now for my other son to return to the states and I will be blissfully happy. He is however in a more peaceful Zone, or atleast he tells me so. We are a military family and both my boys are in the service. We are blessed thou over and over, so I am happy for that. Thankyou again!

Saysusie
07-10-2008, 12:27 PM
You are most welcome. And, again, welcome to our family :lol:

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

rob
07-10-2008, 04:38 PM
Hi Bunker,

Welcome! I know the stress of having a friend or family member serving in Iraq/Afganistan all too well. I'm glad your son is home safe, and that your other son is not in a "hotspot" so to speak. About a year ago I had started having CNS related problems on my right side. My right foot would "drag", and my Neurologist mentioned that the drag, and inability to lift my foot and toes up from the ankle on down was sometimes called "drop foot". It is a manifestation of an underlying problem in the central nervous system in most cases. It can be caused by inflammation related to Lupus. The term neuropathy is used quite often to refer to such problems. In my case, the drop foot is the result of de-myelinization of nerves in my lower spinal cord due to Multiple Sclerosis. I have an overlapping case of SLE and MS. Myelin is a sheath around nerves that acts like the insulation on an electrical wire. If the insulation is damaged or stripped, you literally get two or more nerve pathways touching each other, causing a short circuit, and the failure of muscles to recieve the proper command to move. Now, this DOES NOT mean you have MS. Neurological problems are not uncommon with Lupus. Do you see a neurologist now, or are you just seeing a rheumo? If the drop foot is still a problem, there are treatments a neurologist can recommend to help the problem. Anyway, I'm glad you found this site, there's alot of good info, and good people here. Once again, welcome.

Rob

laurid8967
07-11-2008, 10:07 AM
Hi there -
I would like to welcome you to the site - its truly wonderful here...
I would also like to extend my gratitude to you and your family for your service of our country. Thank you all..
Love Lauri

sits_inthe_corner
07-11-2008, 03:30 PM
Hi bunker_57

Just wanted to add my welcome, glad you found us. What are you doing for your drop foot?

I've been concerned since I bought a queen size bed. I'm short and my feet hurt from laying flat on the mattress. Lately I've been scooting down so I can lay on my tummy and let my toes hang off the edge of the bed.

Two problems with that:

- The cat and the dog think my toes are toys :shock:

- My hubby and I eat a high fiber diet :shock:

I was wondering if you sleep any particular way to keep your feet positioned properly.

bunker_57
07-11-2008, 08:06 PM
I did alot of excersises on my own, by sitting in a warm tub and stretching my toes by pulling with my hands and by having my husband push on my foot and I tried to push back and trying to pick stuff up with my toes, till eventually I started getting use back. I still have balance problems and drag my toes off and on, but if I go bare foot it is much easier to control my feet as they don't have any weight on them. Don't wear high heeled shoes and generally now wear mules so nothing is tight on my feet. I have trouble with both legs, but the damage is more in the left leg and I have damage in the right arm due to cervical compression at the c4-5 disc. Had surgery, but still have the racing and crawlie bug feeling in legs,arms, shoulders and back,, and every once in awhile across my belly. I have raynauds too, which doesn't help. I now sleep on a temperpedic bed and it is the best. :D When I get the bed spins ,and I do every once in awhile, I sleep with one leg hanging off and my dog and cat don't bother it or else :lol: Warm water stimulates nerves though so it is a good start with the excersises.

bunker_57
07-11-2008, 08:09 PM
oh yeah, my bed is adjustable, like a hospital bed, so can raise feet and head.

sits_inthe_corner
07-12-2008, 01:12 AM
hey bunker,

That sounds pretty much like the routine I have for my arthritis. I have that in my feet and my knees and my ribs oh heck it's pretty much everywhere.

I do the stretches in the bath tub. At first that was the worst part getting in and out of the tub. Thought I was going to have to get a lift installed.

But the routine really did help and I'm mobile and self suffecient again, but like you say there are still difficulties.

Do you wear orthotics? I did for 2 yrs, but I've backed off wearing them. They need to be replaced but they are very expensive and I have other things that need doing. :lol:

bunker_57
07-28-2008, 10:26 AM
I use to wear a lift, but things have changed and now I just wear light shoes, my excersises work pretty good and I still do them so as I don't loose what control I do have. I have a rod installed in my tub that I can pull myself up with. Oh when I am not going anywhere, I just go barefoot. picking up objects with your toes keeps them excersised too. Couldn't do it at first as I had little to no control, but can do it quite well now. So I guess anything you do if you do it with persistence it helps.