PDA

View Full Version : Nerves?

cheryl_v
07-02-2008, 08:15 PM
I'm having a problem with my left hand. Does anyone have any ideas? The problem is every time I press my middle or ring finger, my hand shakes. As soon as I let up, it stops. There is a wierd feeling that lingers for a few minutes. It scares me, I can't make it quit. Could it be a nerve problem? Does anyone have this, and does it go away. It just started an hour ago. I have to pec at the keys with the left hand. Just a little worried and scared, never had such a problem :shock: . Its just so wierd feeling!!

Saysusie
07-02-2008, 09:24 PM
Lupus can cause several different types of nerve damage. Lupus can also cause several different types of muscle damage. Some medications can cause muscle spasm. I am sorry, but there are so many possibilities for me to give you any indication of what is causing this problem. I know that you are afraid and I am not offering you much help or comfort. I would suggest that you contact your doctor as soon as you can, explain the symptom and ask to bee seen for evaluation.
Please let us know what you find out!

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

cheryl_v
07-03-2008, 02:49 AM
Thank you Saysusie, I understand. I think I just had a little freak out. I don't take any meds right now due to dental work, so at least I can rule that out. I see new rhuemy on 14th, should I wait until then? I do appreciate the reply, its a comfort in itself. I think it really scared me because it doesn't take much pressure to type, but would shake everytime I used those 2 fingers. Its better for the moment, only wierd tingle if I use them. I have dentist app. today, hopefully get back in time to call my regular doc. Would that be more ideal, or wait for rhuemy? Not sure what either could do. Thanks again, knowing many things can cause it actually makes me feel a little better. I don't feel as if its some rare wierd thing.

Saysusie
07-03-2008, 11:41 AM
I would suggest that you call your rheumy to advise him of the problem and ask him if he needs to see you sooner.
Let us know what you and he decide.

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

cheryl_v
07-03-2008, 03:46 PM
Thanks, I will :D .

hatlady
07-05-2008, 12:04 PM
Cheryl - if it is a problem when you type, it might also be a repetitive injury - like carpal tunnel or tendonytis.

Do talk to your rheumy - but you might get refered to an ortho!

Take care -

cheryl_v
07-05-2008, 02:41 PM
Hi Hatlady. Its in anything I do. Just surprised me happening with typing, so little pressure applied with typing. I'm begining to think a pinched nerve maybe the culprit. Fingers are easing up some, but now I'm having skin trouble on right side of back and stomache. I puled a muscle on right side of back 2 days ago. Now skin on back stings and burns. Skin on stomache stings a little and is numb :? . Can't feel when rub or scratch skin, just so wierd. Thanks for reply. Not to sound dumb, but what kind of doc is an ortho? Know it, but just can't remember for some reason.

hatlady
07-05-2008, 02:52 PM
Cheryl;

Wow, with all that going on, you do need to call your rheumy!

an Ortho is an orthopedic doc - at least in the lingo I used to use when I worked in healthcare. We also called them "orthopods" - which sounds somewhat like a snail, if you ask me.... :lol:

cheryl_v
07-05-2008, 05:27 PM
Hi Hatlady. Thanks, as soon as I read it I had one of those "duh" moments. This has been a wierd experience of symptoms. I'll call monday :) .

cheryl_v
07-06-2008, 07:23 AM
The problem with the skin on back and stomache be from a pinched nerve? The back muscle is finally easing up, but the skin is getting more intense. The skin on back still numb a little and stings, but now hurts if touched by clothes, sheets, hands, or anything. The stomache is now the worse. it is more numb and sting feel than the back, even itches and hurts to scratch. Yet there's this numb feel at the same time. It feels like when you rub or scratch your skin thru clothing, you feel the pressure but not on the surface of the skin. Its driving me mad. Its kind of put the problem with the fingers on the back burner. Tried hot bath and cool pool, feels better while in the water. But it comes back as soon as out of water. Tried muscle rub, big mistake. Hurt (bad sting feel) and made me shiver. What is going on? All the while, the skin looks perfectly normal. Any advice to relieve this? I'm calling doc tomorrow, just looking for some relief today. Not sure if there is anything they can do anyways :( .

laurid8967
07-06-2008, 08:39 AM
Hi Cheryl -
OK, I dont have a clue about the finger shaking, however, the skin on your right side of stomach and back sounds an AWFUL lot like shingles. I dont mean to scare you - its actually pretty common - but Ive had them several times, and thats how it feels. It can become really painful, too. The fact that it is on your right side only is what really made me think shingles. Shingles will never attack both sides of the body at the same time. Thats one of the diagnostic tools docs use to determine if something is shingles. Picture your spinal column as a tree trunk and all the nerves that affect the body as branches. Shingles will attack ONE branch at a time which is why it will never cross your middle. Shingles is the varicella virus, the same virus that causes chicken pox, and it attacks nerve endings. Thsi results in funky feelings in your nerve endings which can include tingling, numbness, strange sensations and pain.
It could very well be nothing, but I would certainly call the doctor tomorrow. Unfortunately, theres not much they can do - anti-virals only work if caught in a small amount of time. Pain killers are usually prescribed for the pain, and it has to run its course. I hope this is NOT the case, but I would be amiss if I didnt inform you of what I have experienced. Have you been sick recently? This virus lays dormant for YEARS, but will become active if the immune system is compromised.
Where I THINK you are saying you have it (Rt side of back wrapping around stomach) is a very common spot - Ive had it there TWICE!! I still have small scars. BUT - KNOW THIS - a rash does NOT need to be there to be shingles...sometimes the virus does not show up on the skin, only under the skin/on nerve endings.
Hope you feel better soon, and please let us know what happens!!
Love Lauri

cheryl_v
07-06-2008, 09:03 AM
Thanks Laurie. Interesting, thought shingles were always seen :? . Thanks for the info. Unfortunately in the last hour, I've developed mild shakes in the arms and hands that comes and goes. What's wrong with me :shock: .

cheryl_v
07-07-2008, 05:52 AM
OMG!!! There's little red welts on my tummy!!! They hurt and sting and I feel as if I could throw up. I haven't been sick lately, maybe a bit stressed from home and dental work. That's it though. These little things itch, but sting so much. I'm calling doc.

Oluwa
07-07-2008, 06:12 AM
Cheryl...

Oh, no....so, sorry I missed your post. This has been going on since the 2nd, Gurl??? I do hope you are calling the doctor as I type.....

You can't come back here till you tell us what the doctor said...

Go to an urgent clinic if your doctor won't do a walk-in..now..go on...

I'll, we'll be here when you get back..scoot...

Head hugs,
Oluwa

cheryl_v
07-07-2008, 08:08 AM
Hi Oluwa. Called rhuemy, there's not much they can say since I haven't been seen yet by him. If no fever and no real emergency, go to reg doc. Reg doc said come in, but can't find ride or sitter (5 kids here/3 mine). One of the kids is being watched by child services, so can't leave her. Not sure if ok to take her either. Going to see what I can manage for tomorrow. This is agony and aggrivating. If it is shingles, can they do anything? There's only a few welts, but right at waist band area. I drank some soy milk, tummy a little at ease now. Guess wait until tomorrow.

laurid8967
07-07-2008, 08:57 AM
Oh Cheryl -
The only thing for shingles is pain meds - usually Percocet or Vicodin. It is too late for any anti-virals (Valcyclovir, Alcyclovir, valtrex) as you REALLY need to get it in you within 3 days of onset (not onset of rash, but onset of virus - which you dont even know is happening half the time). Please see someone as soon as you can for some relief. Unfortunately, shingles can last a WHILE (like a month or so) but not always.
You can use Calamine lotion for the rash, but it wont do anything for the underlying nerves. Thats why only narcotics will even touch it. Do you have any at home that you use for your SLE?
Oh, gosh, I wish I could come and babysit for you!! Also, I forget (bad brainfog today) if you are contaqgious as well to the kids. I BELIEVE (dont quote me) that if one of the kids HASNT has chicken pox yet, that they can catch it from you.
Let us know how it goes - sending warm thoughts...
Lauri

cheryl_v
07-07-2008, 09:16 AM
All the kids have had the chickenpox vaccine, does that count? I don't have SLE, I have FMS and CTD. I'm still seeing what I can manage for today. Thanks for the tip, I might have some itch lotion around in the first-aid kit. I haven't been sick, what could be causing this. How could I have got it? I'm a clean person and haven't been around anyone who was sick. I have a high pain tolerance, but the skin and little welts really hurt, wow. Is it possible to be anything else?

Thanks everyone for the concern, I appreciate it. I hope kids having the shot for chickenpox makes them ok. If child services find out, I'm screwed :shock: .

Oluwa
07-07-2008, 11:49 AM
Cheryl....whaddyadoing here? :wink:

You don't get shingles from being dirty....it is a second eruption of chicken poxs...

Hope this info helps, if it is Shingles...I think Jody had the shingles recently...
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/shingles/DS00098

....Though the chickenpox vaccine doesn't guarantee you won't get chickenpox or shingles, it can reduce your chances of complications and reduce the severity of the disease..says mayoclinic.com

How are the fingers? Did you injury your spine, neck? Shoulder?

Tap on the inside of your wrist, are there shocks? If so carpal tunnel.. I had CTS and the surgery. Pinky numb, not carpal tunnel.

Why do you think you would be in trouble if CPS became aware that you have the shingles...Shingles is out of your hands...like a cold..some get it, some don't. You didn't know...so worry not, okay...We don't even know what it is...

Keep calm....treat your symptoms the best you can til you see the DR...

as per Mayoclinic.com..home treatments in case.

he following are other tips to help minimize the pain and manage the symptoms of shingles.

* Take an over-the-counter pain reliever or anti-inflammatory drug, such as ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin, others).
* Apply an anti-itch cream or calamine lotion to the affected area. A nonprescription hydrocortisone cream, containing at least 1 percent hydrocortisone, can temporarily relieve the itch. A nonprescription oral antihistamine, such as diphenhydramine (Benadryl, others), may be helpful if itching is severe.
* Wash the blisters twice a day with regular soap and water but don't bandage them.
* Apply cool, wet compresses to the blisters to relieve the pain and itch. Use water or water mixed with white vinegar 1 ounce of vinegar to 32 ounces of water. Apply the compresses three times a day.
* Take a comfortably cool bath. Sprinkle the bath water with baking soda, uncooked oatmeal or colloidal oatmeal a finely ground oatmeal that's made for the bathtub (Aveeno, others).

Head hug, hang in there..
Love,
Oluwa

cheryl_v
07-07-2008, 12:34 PM
Doc office called back to see if i could definetly be in tomorrow. The nurse said it did sound like shingles, but need to see theirselves in order to do something. She gave me a crash course, so to speak, on shingles. With child-services, they're picky on who can watch kids. If you have anything contagious, your out. The link was helpful too. With kids, the shot is given in order to keep them from ever having chickenpox. Nurse said sometimes stress can cause it, sometimes nothing. My question: is it a one time deal, or does it reoccur? Forgot to ask nurse. Didn't find it in the medical link. Thanks for the tips.

With fingers, no shock but does feel wierd in those fingers. Most older women in our family does have CTS. I'd be the youngest, but then I have all these problems no other family member has.

cheryl_v
07-07-2008, 06:12 PM
OK, all set. My sitter is driving me, then watching kids in waiting room. I'll only have 3 kids(2 mine) with me tomorrow. Nurse set me an app., but said to come in when I can. Promised kids Taco Bell for those who are good, they're excited. Have permission from parent for child from child services, he said he's done it before when child needed to go somewhere with a sitter. All is working out good, yeah :D . I'll let you know when I get back what they say. Oh yeah (thought some may get a laugh), told mum-in-law and of course she's had the shingles "too" :roll: .

cheryl_v
07-08-2008, 12:41 PM
Ok, I went and its shingles. The rash is a minimum and doesn't look exaclty like a shingle rash, but the pain and location is a definite dx of shingles. Gave me Rx for Valtrex, Methylprednisolone and Loratab (first pain script I ever had). Hope all this helps. I could hardly sleep, agony. Couldn't lay on the right, sheet hurt, night shirt hurt, everything. I told them I can handle pain, but this is a nightmare. I've had hives and anfintigo(sp?) before and they itch and hurt. This is itch and PAIN, feels as if there's a rash in the whole area. The skin feels inflamed. I hope it goes away soon. Thanks for the info and letting me know and telling me to call doc. Here I thought a pinched nerve, wow. Way off on that one :lol: .

mnjodette
07-10-2008, 05:14 PM
Ouch, Cheryl!!! I had shingles about a year (maybe more?) ago, as a result of taking Imuran. My rheumy warned me I might be susceptible and sure enough. It hurts like *%$&!!! Valtrex will help (even after onset.) I got in to the doctor within a day of the first sign of the rash and she put me on Valtrex. In less than a week it was much less painful - but it took several weeks for the sores to totally heal up. Mine was on my shoulder and chest. I still have scars. It follows a nerve trail, and it's not always the same for everyone. But I understand it's always on one side of the body only. Many, many verrrrry gentle hugs to you, Sweetie. It WILL get better.

Jody

cheryl_v
07-10-2008, 07:29 PM
Hi Jody, thanks so much. I only have a few, but right on the waist line on tummy and lower back. My neice's low-rise pants would be great right now :lol: . Will it happen again and how long did it last for you? I feel sorry for all you who have ever had this, you poor things. It makes the hives I had once a walk-in-the-park!! I learned the hard way, don't scratch! I did without realizing, wow. Felt as if someone lit a match. Pool and bath have helped a lot. Not sure what caused mine, NP wasn't sure either. Wrote it in journal for new rhuemy I see monday.

Quick question: did the muscle in your back under the bumps feel swollen and little firm? I know you said yours was higher. I was leaning back in tub and could feel the lower right muscle slightly out more than the left. Just wondering if shingles can make the muscle swell. Thanks again for answering, I know everyone's busy. Thought I got lost and forgotten :lol: .

Pretti in Pink
07-10-2008, 07:29 PM
Cheryl,

I'm sorry you are experiencing such agony, I've never had them but it sounds like the pits, glad you went int to the doctor and maybe able to head off some of the worsening pain. Hang in there and wishing you well.

cheryl_v
07-10-2008, 08:40 PM
Thank You Pretty in Pink :D , you guys are so sweet :wink: .

laurid8967
07-11-2008, 10:03 AM
Cheryl,
Like I said in another post, I dont know how I missed this post! So, it was shingles after all...I think my initial info said anti-virals dont work after a certain amount of time, and Jody said they did. She's probably right, that is just what I was told by my neuro. I actually was on Valtrex for a couple of YEARS, due to chronic viral encephalitis. Thats what I was Dxd with at the time, and now we know its probably due to the lupus. Anyways...Im glad you didnt wait to see a doctor. Shingles is often seen in people with compromised immune systems like the elderly, and those under a lot of stress (stress decreases the immune system). When I got them, they were floored because I was in my 30's, they thought I was too young. But essentially, the virus that put me in respitory failure (the beginning of this WHOLE mess) really messed up my immune system, and I was really susceptible to infections. So, you could have gotten it from being sick recently, or someting else that weakens your immune system. My Jack was little when I had them (Ive had them a couple of times, but that is not common), and he did NOT get chicken pox as a result.
Hope you are feeling better soon!!
Love Lauri

cheryl_v
07-11-2008, 10:18 AM
Hi Lauri, thanks. NP and nurses thought I was a bit young for it too (I'm 34). Doing better, valtrex has toned it down to itch and sting only. The pains not bad during the day, does flare at night and early morning. Thanks for the info, it helped me keep an eye on the skin or else I may not have paid much attention. Your a good and helpful friend :D .

cheryl_v
07-11-2008, 04:58 PM
You know what? Realized the 2 fingers causing the hand to shake (what started this post), cleared up. Haven't had a problem with them in a few days. Hope it stays that way :D .

Have a Great Weekend everyone!!