PDA

View Full Version : Joint Pain Control Meds.

JohnnyBGood
07-02-2008, 05:38 AM
Hi,

I was wondering what over-the-counter meds work best for you guys to control the rheumatoid arthritis pains that goes with Lupus..

For the last week, I have been have extreme knee pains and my calf muscles are hurting too...

I have been taking Advil 2-3 times daily for a while now... but I don't think it's helping these recent pains...

Is Aspirin a good alternative?

Oluwa
07-02-2008, 06:19 AM
Johnny B Good..

I do not have RA...my experience on this is nil..but I do have joint pain and some of the home remedies below have helped...like heat and cold..

NSAIDs. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) can relieve pain and reduce inflammation. Over-the-counter NSAIDs include ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin, others) and naproxen sodium (Aleve).

NSAIDs have risks of side effects that increase when used at high dosages for long-term treatment. Side effects may include ringing in your ears, gastric ulcers, heart problems, stomach bleeding, and liver and kidney damage. Consuming alcohol or taking corticosteroids while using NSAIDs also increases your risk of gastrointestinal bleeding.

Extra info, more than you asked but I thought alternatives, if the OTC don't work...

Heat can help ease your pain and relax tense, painful muscles. One of the easiest and most effective ways to apply heat is to take a hot shower or bath for 15 minutes. Other options include using a hot pack or an electric heat pad set on its lowest setting. If your skin has poor sensation or if you have poor circulation, don't use heat treatments.

Apply cold. Cold may dull the sensation of pain. Cold also has a numbing effect and decreases muscle spasms. Don't use cold treatments if you have poor circulation or numbness. Techniques may include using cold packs, soaking the affected joints in cold water and ice massage.

And...Relax. Find ways to cope with pain by reducing stress in your life. Techniques such as hypnosis, guided imagery, deep breathing and muscle relaxation can all be used to control pain.

Keep well...
Hugs,
Oluwa

JohnnyBGood
07-02-2008, 08:56 AM
Thanks Oluwa for the info.. appreciate it...

I was wondering, of all the over the counter NSAIDS which do people think work best to relieve inflammations in the joints and muscles?

Saysusie
07-02-2008, 09:02 AM
That's a bit difficult to answer because we each react differently to medications. I tolerate Ibuprofen well,but my best friend cannot take Ibuprofen at all, she uses Naproxin. Just as Lupus affects each one of us differently, so is our tolerance for medications just as varied. So, it depends on which one your body responds to the best.

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

KathyW1958
07-02-2008, 09:04 AM
Hi Johnny
I read your post about your knee pain. I take Sulindac twice a day and it does seem to help my joint pain, but at times when the pain is severe in my knee or knees, the Rheumatologist gives me an injection into the joint. He does not use Cortisone anymore. My doctor told me that the medication is a new medication that is the cousin to the Cortisone. It works really well on me. I am sorry that I don't remember the name of the drug, but maybe your doctor may know. I hope that I have helped somehow.

Kathy

Oluwa
07-02-2008, 09:19 AM
You're welcome Johnny Be Good Be well...

My body enjoyed Excedrin PM before I went to prescriptions. My joint pain is worst while I sleep and at waking...

I used to do Aleve too. Now I do prescription narcs..opiates, current Darvocet for the back...or if I can...mind control it. I had much issues with the stomach so I avoid NSAIDS or use less if I can.

FYI...Two Aleve is prescription strength Naproxen.

Keep well,
Oluwa
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/confused010.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

rsmith202
07-02-2008, 05:21 PM
My friend has been using a product called Monavie. Her rash is going away and she is now moving a whole lot easier. She said she never wants to be without Monavie. Maybe you should check it out too!!!

JohnnyBGood
07-03-2008, 04:56 AM
My friend has been using a product called Monavie. Her rash is going away and she is now moving a whole lot easier. She said she never wants to be without Monavie. Maybe you should check it out too!!!

Thank you... i will research that.

Oluwa
07-03-2008, 08:41 AM
A previous post of mine on MonaVie from my research

FYI...

Mona Vie juice is a blend of 19 fruits. The fruits are - Acai, Apricot, Aronia, Acerola, Purple Grape, Passion Fruit, Camu Camu, Banana, Lychee Fruit, Nashi Pear, Kiwi, Pomegranate, Prune, Wolfberry, Pear, Bilberry, Cranberry, Blueberry and White Grape. MonaVie Active contains a liquid form of Glucosamine.

There is no way to tell how much Acai is in a serving of Monavie. The blend of the 19 fruits in the Monavie Juice is a proprietary blend. Simply put, MonaVie does not discuss how much Acai is in each serving of MonaVie.

Monavie juices are sold through a multi level marketing (MLM) system - also known as network marketing. Customers who use Monavie are encouraged to become Independent Distributors of the Monavie products. Distributors try to bring in more distributors and get a percentage of every sale made by distributors in their line (upline). MLM has been around for a long time and products such as Amway and Herbal Life are well known examples of multi-level-marketing plans.

While the specifics of the Monavie Compensation plan get very complicated, the general idea is that if you can bring in a network of people to sell Monavie juices, and they sell to their friends, and their friends sell to their friends (and so on and so on) - you will make money.

If you use the Monavie as recommended, one bottle will last you about 1 week. You will need at least 4 bottles to last you one month. The retail price per bottle is between $40 and $45. This means that a one month supply will cost between $160 and $180 a month.

MonaVie™ Pricing List: Retail Wholesale
MonaVie Active – 1 bottle $45 $37
MonaVie Active – 1 case $159 $130
MonaVie Active – 2 cases $318 $230
MonaVie Original – 1 bottle $39 $32
MonaVie Original – 1 case $149 $120
MonaVie Original – 2 cases $298 $220
MonaVie Gel Packs - 1 Box $90 $70
MonaVie Gel Packs - 2 Boxes $150 $130
Wholesale Distributor Kit $39
Note: 1 case = 4 bottles
Note: 1 bottle is 25.5 ounces
Note: Shipping charges apply to all orders
Note: We have excellent pricing on orders of 3 cases or more

I would rather enjoy a handful of cherries, a peeled banana and the bursting juices from citrus fruits and chase it with glucosamine supplement.

Personally, I like to eat.
Oluwa

JohnnyBGood
07-03-2008, 10:58 AM
Thanks Oluwa,

I checked it out too and saw that this stuff is not cheap.

Maybe I'll enjoy the cherries too :) for now.

sits_inthe_corner
07-05-2008, 01:39 AM
Hi Johnny

I dont have RA, I do have arthritis in my joints. A friend of mine has RA and one of the drugs he is taking is the same as the one I'm on. Which is arthrotec75.

This has cut my pain by 50%. Which is GREAT. It means I can walk and fairly smoothly. I still have bad days, but there are more good days then bad. For me I do get swelling of the lower legs from the arthrotec. Not every one does.

I also take Omega fish oil twice a day and glucosamine twice a day and Vitamine D twice a day.

My dog has arthritis as well and I share my glucosamine with him. Wow what a difference it made to him. He's moving much much better and hardly ever yelps in pain any more. Actually he's the reason I started taking as suggested. At first I though "man what a big pill...I dont want to choke that down twice a day." But I made sure my dog did! lol

I went from barely being able to walk with a cane and knee brace to walking on my own and wearing the knee brace when I drive or when I'm doing house work.

I'm not super chick but I'm moving better.

laurid8967
07-05-2008, 07:26 AM
Hey all -
I take nsaids as well, but for an acute flair of pain (I can get some SEVERE pain - like a 10 on a 1-10 - on my hip(s) ) I use those ThermaPatches. There are all different kinds, brands, sizes, etc., but they can really take the edge off. That combined with a fistful of Ibuprofen (just kidding) and SOMETIMES, I'll be able to sleep.
For my hip (which was SOOO BADDD yesterday, as a matter of fact, from doing my flowers) I try to use the LG (like 4x8 inches) which lasts for 12 hours. I wear it to bed, and it works just enough to somewhat numb the pain so I can sleep.
OK - I think I just said the same thing twice...wow..head a little heavy today...rocks behind the eyes, pushing out..uughh...waiting for my morning Excedrin and sudaphed to kick in.
Sorry, this is probably somewhat unreadable!
Love Lauri

rsmith202
07-16-2008, 02:05 PM
I've done my research on Monavie also.

First, my friend who takes it for her lupus told me: "it's also helping maintain her blood sugar levels, lowered her bad cholesterol and raised her good one, lowered her blood pressure, gives her alot more energy, almost completly gotten rid of her pain, she sleeps great and feels better over all."

She buys 3 cases at a time at a cost of $374. She took 4 oz per day for the first 2 weeks and is now down to 2 oz per day, so she gets almost 6 months out of 3 cases, at a cost of about $62.00 per month. (Now, this is not to say that only 2oz would work for everyone, but it does for her.) She also said "as far as she's concerned her health is well worh $62 a month and even if she had to take 4oz a day, it's still worth it." So, how much is your good health worth?

As far as eating fruits, I never said not to. However, I read one study that said you'd have to eat 34 peaches to get the same nutrients that one peach gave back in 1953. So, just how many nutrients do you suppose are still in those fruits at the supermarket? You also have to eat a full variety of fruits including highly pigmented fruits every day.

I like to eat too, but based on the nutritioal value of the fruits available ,it would be almost impossible to eat enough on a daily basis to get all the nutrients needed. Not to mention the 'bathroom' issue all those fruits would cause.

4 oz of Monavie is equal to 13 servings of fruit daily. The fruits in Monavie are grown 'wild' and processed within 24-48 hours to maintain their nutrients. Monavie has the only processing plant actually in the jungle, so the Acai berry is processed (via a special patent pending process) so as to maintain the highest nutrient levels. The fruits in Monavie are blended so as to give a balance of nutrients. They didn't just throw a bunch of fruits into a bottle. They did years of research to come up with this blend. I could go on and on, but, like the old saying goes, sticks and stones are only thrown at fruit bearing trees.

So, get ALL the facts before making any kind of judgement or decision.

laurid8967
07-16-2008, 03:21 PM
OK, Rsmith -
I think you misunderstood what Oluwa was saying...Im not sure there is anyone Ive ever heard of/met that checks out facts more than her...
We dont find it necessary to be nasty around here - its a waste of our precious energy. We are all for ANY info given and, as Im sure you know with this disease, somethings work for others and some dont. We provide each other with info/our experiences, and let people choose for themselves.
There were a few of our members here who gave it a shot, loved it, and then said it did nothing for them. Maybe others are having a more positive experiene, and doing great and - thats great!
But to verbally attack someone for not getting all the "facts" is not only uncalled for and unecessary - its just rude.
Thanks for sharing your friend's experience with Monavie, and we hope you feel better soon!
Lauri

Oluwa
07-16-2008, 07:26 PM
My intent was not to offend you RSmith202. Just my dry humor to JohnnyBeGood about the cherries....

People usually read with what coincides with their beliefs. Me, I try to read anything...education starts by turning a page.

We've already discuss MonaVie here months ago and I posted this letter below or was it the link....Anyway, I did do my research outside the realm of a BLOG..aka Bologna..Baloney!

BTW...3-5 servings a fruit a day is all that is required FDA Food Guidelines.

Lauri...I would suspect by his/her RSmith202 response there is a hidden agenda...Sounds like a sales pitch.

Also you will notice those who have a gimmick, a drink, a pill, a book, they appear out of nowhere and only post a couple of times,. No bites, no buyers nor takers on their tonic then they soon disappear. So will s/he.

Thank you for defending me...

Hugs,
Oluwa

FYI....as per FDA.org website....

This is to advise you that the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has determined that your products “MonaVie Original,” “MonaVie Active,” “MonaVie Combo,” and “MonaVie Gel” are promoted for conditions that cause the products to be drugs under section 201(g)(1) of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (the Act) [21 U.S.C. § 321(g)(1)]. The therapeutic claims on your web site establish that the products are drugs because they are intended for use in the cure, mitigation, treatment, or prevention of disease. The marketing of these products with these claims violates the Act.
Examples of the claims observed on your web site include:
MonaVie Original, Active, Combo and Gel
“Imagine a juice product that combines a variety of the most powerful fruits … with additional compounds that aid in the fight against inflammation, and you’ll find MonaVie ….”
“Acai Berries [an ingredient in the MonaVie products] are high in essential fatty acids and omegas – 60% Oleic omega 9 – a monounsaturated essential fatty acid which helps to lower LDL (harmful cholesterol) while maintaining HDL (beneficial cholesterol). 12% Linoleic (omega 6) – a polyunsaturated essential fatty acid which has also been found to lower LDL while maintaining HDL.”
“Acai also contains many valuable Phytosterols. Sterols are compounds of plant cell membranes providing numerous benefits to the Human body, namely the reduction of blood plasma cholesterol.”
MonaVie Active
“MonaVie Active is MonaVie Original with two additional ingredients meant specifically to help relieve joint/muscle pain and inflammation ….”
Page 2 – Acai-berry.com
Furthermore, your MonaVie products are not generally recognized as safe and effective for the above referenced conditions and therefore, they are also “new drugs” under section 201(p) of the Act [21 U.S.C. § 321(p)]. New drugs may not be legally marketed in the U.S. without prior approval from FDA as described in section 505(a) of the Act [21 U.S.C. § 355(a)]. FDA approves a new drug on the basis of scientific data submitted by a drug sponsor to demonstrate that the drug is safe and effective.
This letter is not intended to be an all-inclusive review of your web site and products your firm markets. It is your responsibility to ensure that all products marketed by your firm comply with the Act and its implementing regulations.
If you need additional information or have questions concerning any products distributed through your web site, please contact FDA. You may respond in writing to Kristen Moe, Compliance Officer, 5100 Paint Branch Parkway, College Park, MD 20740. If you have any questions concerning this letter, please contact Ms. Moe at 301-436-2064.
Sincerely,
/s/
Jennifer A. Thomas
Acting Director
Division of Enforcement
Center for Food Safety
And Applied Nutrition
cc:
Monavie Corporation Headquarters
10757 South Riverfront Parkway
Suite 110
Salt Lake City, UT 84095

laurid8967
07-17-2008, 06:13 AM
Yeah.....Couldnt help it...Felt like someone was attacking one of my sisters....
Oluwa - I got the same feeling about the sales pitch idea...too much defensiveness to claim he was being objective...lolol
Thank you for the FDA information. Sheeez....Wouldnt we ALL want to have a cup of juice and beat lupus? Not so simple Im afraid...
Hope youre having a nice day, Oluwa...hows the ITCH???
Love, Lauri

Saysusie
07-17-2008, 10:54 AM
Hi Ladies;
Would you like me to delete Rsmith202's post? I do not tolerate such behavior and you two handled it well, so I stayed out of it. I will delete it if you want.

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

Oluwa
07-17-2008, 01:46 PM
Hi Saysusie...

I think we should leave it...for future searches on the topic, reference material on the Kool-aid...

Thank you for asking...

Hugs,
Oluwa

Saysusie
07-19-2008, 05:37 PM
okeedokee