PDA

View Full Version : Costal Chondritis

KathyW1958
07-02-2008, 02:35 AM
Hi all.
Well this morning I woke up with Costal Chondritis. I have been getting to much sun here lately through no fault of my own. I have my son's Golden Retriever, Sabastian until August as my son has to go to the Republic of Georgia with his Army Reserve Unit until August. I also have his girlfriend's dog Shelby who is a mutt until Saturday. Well as you know the dogs have to go outside several times during the day to go to the bathroom and get exercise. My husband works during the day, so that leaves only me to do this chore. My hands and feet are all broken out again and unfortunately, I woke up this morning with Costal Chondritis in my right rib cage along with swelled up aching hands and fingers. I hate to call the doctor, because I know I will seriously hear about it from him. I am also afraid that he will put me back on Prednisone. My husband is upset about the dog situation and told me that we are not going to watch Shelby ever again. Shelby is not very well leash trained and when he went to take her out, she jerked and got away from him and caused him to fall and hurt his knee. I had to go and get her. It was terrible. She ran all the way to the neighbors house just a barking. Sabastian is very well behaved and he minds. My son has him well trained. The other dog is terrible. She is cute, but does not mind simple commands at all. I am just not feeling well and am frustrated with the dogs. Sorry this is so long.

Kathy

Oluwa
07-02-2008, 05:32 AM
Kathy...ouch. I've had costochrondritis before...painful.

Exercise a bit.... seem contradictory to rest, but gentle exercises, such as walking or swimming, can improve your mood and keep your body healthy. Don't overdo it, and stop if exercise increases your pain.

Or...
Use a heating pad. Apply a heating pad to the painful area several times a day. Keep the heat setting on low.

Try a NSAIDs... ibuprofen, such as Advil, Motrin and naproxen (Aleve)

Muscle relaxants, which can also help ease pain on hand?

Can you tethered the dog out in the yard and have the hook end for her collar latch at the door so you don't even have to go outside. Or just toss the ball in the yard till tired and then walk her...

I think your friend asked a lot by having a dog that isn't leashed trained to sit for.

Technique ...Hold the collar, leash attached just behind here ears to hold the head up high and so as not go to the ground to sniff. Give slight jerk when she seems to give a rough time and stop. Up or too the side, not choke...

Don't have tight around her throat, all this will cause her to do is fight the leash and choke. When I trained my Riley Mildred, as she was a free dog who stayed by me but had to with so many dogs in my neighborhood and no parks...

I walked her with her collar just behind the ears and under the chin..and said Good girl..Pretty and proud, pretty and proud...atta girl Then when I was ready to let her sniff I release my grip on the upward pull at the ears.

Or like Cesar Milan does, same technique but he gives a slight tap on the behind with his foot without the dog knowing where it came from with a shtick noise.

Hope this helps till Saturday..til then take care of you too.

If all fails, have the neighbor boy walk the dog for a buck...

Hugs, feeling for you.
Oluwa

KathyW1958
07-02-2008, 06:24 AM
Hi Oluwa,

I am glad that you posted. I am on NSAID's and am using a heating pad for my ribcage.

The dogs are doing ok with me. For some reason they will not listen to my husband. My husband has no patience with them. I don't have a problem with Shelby on the leash, but he does. At first it was hard, but I am getting her to settle down on the leash. Sabastian is really great. He is like an oversized puppy and he listens very well to me. They both follow me around wherever I go in the house. My husband said, darn why do they follow and listen to you and not me. I guess he just does not have the patience with them.

I will see if he heating pad works for my side. I can't have a neighbor boy walk the dogs, because where I live are all elderly people or folks with toddlers.

Thanks for the tips about the leash.

Hugs,
Kathy