PDA

View Full Version : IMPORTANT - Sunscreen/sumblock report

hatlady
07-01-2008, 04:42 AM
http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/special/sunscreens2008/summary.php?nothanks=1

I heard this on CNN Headline news this a.m. - the above link takes you to research findings of over 900 sunscreens and sunblocks. MOST ARE INNEFECTIVE.

Please at least skim the report to find out which ones are safe and effective. I know I'll be at the store later today because my SPF 50 just...isnt. It ranked poorly. So much for trying to be sunsafe!

(At least my HAT is sun-impervious...)

Saysusie
07-01-2008, 12:06 PM
Hatlady;
Thanx for the info. I just finished listening to a report on that subject on MSNBC. I'm glad that you posted the site for us!

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

Pretti in Pink
07-01-2008, 03:37 PM
Thanks Hatlady, maybe that's why I still felt a bit of burn w/ my 45

hatlady
07-05-2008, 12:02 PM
More on sunscreens and sunblocks. I've been trying to find ANY of the ones on the list of the best - so far without luck. This a.m. my SO found an article in the Chicago Tribune that gave additional information that will help in locating SOMETHING that should work....

http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune.com/features_julieshealthclub/2008/07/the-five-best-.html

Quoted from the article:

I hope she's wearing Badger sunscreen.

Four out of five name brand sunscreens offer inadequate protection, according to the Environmental Working Group's second annual sunscreen report, which was launched last year to fill a gap in federal quality and safety standards for sun protection products.

While the SPF rating on a product is helpful, it only refers to the sunscreen's ability to protect against UVB rays. A good sunscreen should have adequate protection against UVA rays--which we now know penetrates the skin more deeply than UVB radiation and can also causes skin cancer and wrinkles--remain stable in the sun and the ingredients shouldn't cause potential health problems.

EWG's scientists looked at nearly 400 peer-reviewed studies of the 17 sunscreen chemicals approved for use in the U.S. They found that "some popular sunscreen chemicals actually break down when exposed to sunlight. Others penetrate the skin and pose health concerns including allergic reaction, hormone disruption and skin damage," according to the report.

The website helps consumers recognize bogus sunscreen claims and provides tips for safety in the sun.

Here are the EWG's five most effective and safest sunscreens (see note below):

1. Keys Soap Solar Rx Therapeutic Sunblock
2. Trukid Sunny Days Facestick Mineral Sunscreen UVA/UVB Broad Spectrum
3. California Baby Sunblock Stick No Fragrance
4. Badger Sunscreen
5. Marie Veronique Skin Therapy Sun Serum

(Note: There are two top 10 lists. The one I listed are the sunscreens that EWG found to be the most effective and safe for your skin. But a number of those are harder to find in many parts of the country. Also, they are probably, on average, more expensive. The other list, which includes Blue Lizard as No. 1, is the top 10 recommendations for sunscreens more or less available everywhere in the country, according to EWG.)

MORE TIPS FROM EWG:

BUY

SPF 30 or higher for best protection. At least 7 percent zinc oxide or titanium dioxide for broad
spectrum protection.

AVOID

Oxybenzone or benzophenone-3: skin absorption, allergies, hormone problems. Spray and powder sunscreens: inhaling sunscreens can pose extra risks. Fragrance: allergies, reproductive problems. Sunscreen with added bug repellent: you can get too much of the pesticide in your body. Coppertone, Neutrogena and Banana Boat: fewer than five percent of their products are recommended as safe and effective.The EWG's Shopper's Guide to Safer Sunscreens.

Saysusie
07-06-2008, 09:44 AM
O My Gosh!!!

Thanx again Hatlady....

Saysusie