PDA

View Full Version : I hurt, big time

rob
07-01-2008, 04:05 AM
Hi guys,

I'm really having some bad days (and nights) these past few days. I spent most of my day yesterday wandering around the house in a futile attempt to figure out, well, I don't know what I was trying to figure out. My fog has turned into something like a broken record that skips. I get a thought process started, and it suddenly stops and gets kicked back to the beginning. Over, and over again. My TMJ problems have returned with the jaw pain causing a terrible ear ache on the right side. The costochondritis is the worst I've ever had. Crushing pain in my chest. Been taking naproxen for the inflammation, but it's tearing my stomach up. And the burning tingling itch and fire underneath my skin is keeping me from sleeping. I have company from AZ coming in tomorrow, and plans for the 4th. I was hoping yesterday I could still do the things I planned for the 4th, but now I'll just be happy to have my symptoms let up on me so I can sleep, and try to eat something. I'm not too worried about my company, as it's my best friend from AZ, and he knows what's going on with me. I'm just tired, and frustrated. The ear ache is like a ice pick through my eardrum. and the ringing. Somebody tell IT to leave me alone for a couple of days. I just need to try sleeping today, and maybe all this will subside. Thanks for letting my unload a bit. Trying to keep a sense of humor (thank you Oluwa).

KathyW1958
07-01-2008, 06:22 AM
Hi Rob,
I am sorry that you are having such a terrible time right now. I am wondering if you have called the doctor about the problems with the Naproxin causing you stomach problems. The doctor may need to change that medication. I know when I had the Costalchondritis, I was also on Naproxin and the doctor switched it to Indomethacin. He also put me on low dose Prednisone. I am wondering if you are taking Plaquenil. I hope that you can get to feeling better. God Bless.

Kathy

Oluwa
07-01-2008, 06:46 AM
Take that...http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/fighting/fighting0056.gif (http://www.mysmiley.net/free-adult-smileys.php)
And that IT, and that...

Rob, can you get into the doctors before he arrives? I stopped the Naproxen and now dose a bit with Darvocet.

Rob, maybe you need treatment for Fibro? I really only know actually, I don't know anything about MS. Skin burning, jaw and ear pain, sounds like Fibro...

The fog is probably getting thick from the lack of sleep...or a side effect from any of your pills? Nap often. I have e thick pea soup head today , insomnia all night...a nap at about 5AM this morning. I feel nauseated. An Enquirer reading material kind of day...all I can handle. Maybe dig a ffew dirt holes for my plants...Maybe we can toss our sibling IT's in..

Gosh, I wish I could make IT and IT's cronies go away for you...I have a prayer...

I can give you home remedies. ideas...Ice packs on the jaw? Clove oil to numb it up inside?

Head hugs, head massage...

Maybe a bit of tiger balm or eucalyptus menthol cream along the jaw and around the base of the ear at the skull...and the back or your neck...?

Hope you are symptom free by night fall..
Love,
Oluwa

laurid8967
07-01-2008, 08:28 AM
Hey Rob -
I am so sorry to hear your feeling like "junk". I do not have MS as well as lupus, but suffer from alot of neuro symptoms and they really really stink. I feel really bad you have to battle both diseases at once - the burning sharp pain of MS and the throbbing swelling of lupus....Special prayers for you today...
Its too bad I didnt know in time - Im in Boston, I could have done the 3 hour drive to Maine to give you one of Oluwa's head hugs..lol.
I am a faithful fan of Exedrin...it helps with my neuro symptoms the best (besides any narcotics) - plus it has the caffiene in it to help with fatigue.
But, as Im sure you know, the only real help for the neuro pain is narcotics. Maybe you can take them after a good boost of espresso so you dont get so tired from them....I wish I had more to offer...
I hope your company isnt too demanding on you...that would double stink...Take care of yourself, Rob, and keep us posted...
Lauri

hatlady
07-01-2008, 11:36 AM
Oh Rob, I'm so sorry to hear things are mserable for you right now!

My SO has MS, so we're a real pair.... through her I understand some of the issues you're having right now. The pins and needles, the HEAT - I'll come home to find her with an icepack on her head, or draped around her neck. She tells me that you can buy ice-VESTS that many MS patients wear on warmer days.

For the earache, have you tried gentle warmth? It may relax the TMJ muscle spasm and give you some relief. Another thing that helps when mine flares is swabbing my ear (GENTLY!) with a q-tip that has been dipped in Tea Tree oil. The menthol aspect seems to ease the ache.

Do you wear a bite guard at night? I've used one for at least 20 years now, have chewed through several. THank heaven the acrylic/plastic/whatever it is they're using now is stronger, this one has lasted about 5 years. Used to be 1 a year.... That made a juge difference with my TMJ.

Gentle gentle hugs, friend. May the symptoms ease before your friend arrives!

Saysusie
07-01-2008, 11:55 AM
Rob;
I am so very sorry to hear that you are not doing well. I, too, suffer with TMJ :cry: The advice that I was going to give you about the TMJ has already been given (Tea Tree Oil). In fact, I warm the tea tree oil before I swab it in my ear. I soothes the pain somewhat. Also, I wear a bite guard at night (in fact, I think that you made that suggestion to me) and it has really been helpful. On days when I am staying at home, I wear the bite guard all day long.
I agree with Oluwa about the brain fog and your inability to sleep. Rob, I do hope that you are able to get some rest, get some relief from pain, and be able to enjoy your visit with your best friend.

:snipersmile: DOWN WITH IT!!!!

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

Pretti in Pink
07-01-2008, 02:00 PM
Rob,

Count me in on the fight against IT as well. We are here with you to make sure IT doesn't win. Hang in there buddy!

rob
07-01-2008, 07:10 PM
Hi everyone,

Well, I got ahold of my regular MD Dr. today, and got to go see him on very short notice. Why did I go to the Dr? I went because I stubbed my toe walking in the kitchen, fell, and hit my head on the counter on the way down. My toe looks like, well, I don't know. It looks bad, all purple, swollen. Had an X-ray, it's not broken. I've broken that same toe twice before, so I'm happy its only sprained/bruised. My noggin took half a dozen stiches I think, I haven't attempted to change the dressing or look at it yet. NO concussion, or anything else, so that was a relief. What a day. I'm just sitting here laughing about it now. He gave me darvocet and refill of the diazepam to sleep. I'm going to re-read the comments and tips you guys have given tomorrow, right now everything is kinda floaty fuzzy feeling. Took the darvocet with food, and it's putting me into LA-LA Land. I'll be on in the AM to see what's going on with you guys. Goodnight all.

Rob

laurid8967
07-01-2008, 09:01 PM
Oh Rob All thats going through my mind is "when it rains it pours..." You poor SOB!! Is there someone there that can help you with things tomorrow?
You are on the top of my prayer list tonight...Hope when you read this, you will have had a nice nights sleep...
Lauri

KathyW1958
07-02-2008, 02:11 AM
Hi Rob
Oh boy I feel bad for you. I am glad that you did not break your toe and that there is no concusssion. It seems like yesterday was a totally bad day for you and I hope that today goes a lot better for you. I hope that you feel better today.

Kathy

Saysusie
07-02-2008, 08:29 AM
He Rob;
Still floating in that LA-LA :lol: I was glad to hear that you were laughing at the event because (I'm sorry to admit this), I kinda chuckled when I read it 8) It read like a scene from a comedy movie. We can only laugh at it because you were not seriously hurt (Thank Goodness For That!).
So, purple toes and banged up head.....all in one fell swoop. Poor 'Ting...here's me kissing da boo boos! Please get better and please take care of yourself.

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

Oluwa
07-02-2008, 10:02 AM
Ouchie...Oh heavens, Rob...lumps, bumps, needles and thread...trying to fight with IT or what...Oliver and Stan...which one is IT? I can imagine the domino play out...

Well, if that didn't put your TMJ on the back burner, fuggetin' about it...how are you feeling otherwise...

I've mentioned how a stubbed toe can turn our world upside down..I do hope you are right side up..hugs...

Chuckle...love,
Oluwa

rob
07-02-2008, 01:32 PM
Hi everyone,

Well, what can I say, yesterday was just one of those days I guess. Still feeling a little scatter brained today. Toe looks like a purple tootsie roll. They did indeed put 6 stitches in the cut on my forehead. After I had my failed attempt at kitchen acrobatics, the pain in my ear/ribs/skin all got bumped way down the list, and my head took the pole position with Mr. Toe in a very close second place. I'd say I feel like I've been run over by a truck, but I've actually been run over by a truck, and it didn't hurt as much! Anyway, my dad is helping me for the next few days. He's picking up my buddy at the airport this afternoon. Ok, so, some of your questipons. I do have a mouthpiece I have been wearing at night. It helps, but the tjmj pops out while I'm eating, and then it can't get it to go back where it was. Can't chew food when that happens. It's a heck of a way to lose a few pounds, maybe I should patent it, Hmmmm. Where do I find the Tea Tree Oil? I'm not sure where to get oil of cloves either. I know the cloves are really effective when used on sensitive teeth. The dentist put a little thing in one of my molars once and put a temp filling over it, and that tooth felt great almost immediately. Magic stuff. The drugs I'm on for lupus are just naproxen for inflammation, and Plaquenil 200mg one in the morning, one at night. Right now, pain isn't an issue as the darvocet seem to dull everything down to a tolerable level. Don't like the spaced out feeling, but thats minor. I didn't get a chance to thank all of you for your prayers, words of encouragment, and helping to keep my spirits up. Thank you all. I had something happen today that kinda made me get a lump in my throat. Myself, my parents, and sisters families were all going out on our boat so see the fireworks over the marina on the 4th. Well, my mother an oldest sis called me today and asked if I wanted to have everyone come to my house on the 4th instead. That way if I'm not feeling well I can just go lay down for a bit, instead of being on the boat. So, I said yes, and all I have to do is get out a few extra chairs. they are bringing a grill, burgers beer, everything. I think they are understanding that I sometimes have limitations, and they didn't want me to be left out in case I wasn't up for the boat. We'll still see fireworks, just from a distance in my back yard. I hope I can find the words to tell them how much their gesture means to me. It's really something for them to understand. Anyway, gotta go lay down and put the cold pack on my noggin. I hope all is well with you guys. I'll talk to you later.

Rob
PS- My Dad laughed his butt off after I told him what happened yesterday!

Oluwa
07-02-2008, 02:02 PM
Rob,

I got all choked, tight throat, tight skin and misty eyed too...I am so glad you family is there for you..so glad...

A tight hug will say it all for you...the love will flow between you two like electricity...

Head hug..oops, waist hug...
Love,
Oluwa

Pretti in Pink
07-02-2008, 03:40 PM
See Rob a little sunshine does come after the rain, and when it rains in your area it pours (that was some type of fall, glad you are able to laugh about it and you weren't hurt too bad). Then comes the sunshine, a loving and understanding family, that put a lump in my throat as well. Sounds like your holiday is already off to a good start. Enjoy and be safe.

laurid8967
07-02-2008, 03:44 PM
What a great feeling, Rob, to have your family show that kind of compassion - I am happy for you. My Mom has done it once in a while and I almost cry everytime she does.
Its probably a good thing you dont like that "out of it" feeling....I loved it and it got me into some real trouble for a while! lol...
Again, Im glad youre a bit better, and hope you have a wonderful 4th!!
Lauri

Saysusie
07-02-2008, 08:31 PM
Rob;
You are a much loved person...what a blessing. I am sure that your family knows how much you love and appreciate them, especially after this gracious gesture. But, it is always good to hear that you are loved and appreciated...so just tell them!!
The tea tree oil and oil of cloves can be purchased at your local health food store.
I wish I had more suggestions about you TMJ..but I have the same issues myself and have not found a really good solution (other than drinking a lot of jamba juices!)
I hope your toe and your noggin heal quickly! Take care, my friend, and have a wonderful 4th with your loving family!

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

mnjodette
07-02-2008, 08:49 PM
Ah, Rob....just caught this thread. You have been so beaten up lately....that truly stinks. I'm so sorry it's been rough. This is NOT the plan you had in mind for Independence Day, huh? How's the head and toe now? Any better? You, my friend, deserve a break.

I just got a warm and fuzzy feeling reading about your family and how they just circle 'round you when you need them. That's just outstanding. You are a loved guy, Rob...no doubt about it!

Hope the 4th of July gives you a little "Independence" from all the pain.

Jody

NoodleMom
07-03-2008, 03:55 PM
Aww Rob,
What a tough time of it you have had lately. I am glad that you were not hurt seriously and that you can see some humor in it. I will admit also that I did chuckle a bit at the picture that would be.
Your family is just one in a million. :smilecolros:

Take care rob and get better.

Kasey

hatlady
07-04-2008, 07:46 AM
Rob, what an arobatic turn you took! So glad you're ok and that your family rallies around....

You can get Tea Tree oil at most healthfood stores, at Trader Joes, probalby at a good pharmacy in the "natural healing" section.

More gentle hugs - and a suggestion for steel toed shoes....

sits_inthe_corner
07-04-2008, 05:36 PM
:shock:

Rob! YIKES! I'm so sorry I was missing in action and did not know you were that misserable.

Hugs! I'm so glad things have settled down. Wow what a great family you have. I hope you're have a great time this evening.

I used to take naproxen but we didn't get along. I found I adjusted to it after a few days, but it really didn't do what it was supposed to do. That's for the swelling right?

Hope you're having a great visit with your friend :)

rob
07-04-2008, 10:39 PM
Hi everyone,

It's the middle of the night, and finally the get-together at my house is over. I couldn't believe everyone came over so I could be close to my home, and the safety/comfort zone I've found here. We had grilled burgers, and lamb, boy it was good. Wade from AZ is in shock I think. It was 117 degrees in Phoenix when he left the other day, and it was 75 and beautiful here today. My nephew who is in training at Ft. Bragg NC is on leave and is here, a really great surprise as he's in the middle of a training cycle, and didn't think he could use any leave. My noggin and toe are not that big a deal now. My nephew and his buddies had a bivouac in the middle of the biggest patch of poison oak in NC, and he's in rough shape. But, he's also 20 years old, and still bulletproof, so he'll live. It's so good to have company for the first time. Lauri, I know what you are talking about when you say that you liked the "out of it feeling" too much. I did too a few years back, and it almost got the best of me. I did not want to take this stuff no matter how much it hurt and how much sleep I lost. But, my Dr. knows of my previous problems, and is very strict as far as prescriptions go, especially for drugs with the potential for addiction. They have really helped, and despite my fear of taking them, they have allowed me to be comfortable enough to sleep, and dulled my purple toe so it's tolerable. I'm still cautious though. I don't blame you for being cautious too, the stuff can sneak up and bite you. I have a family history that does not help either. Anyway, I understand where you are coming from. Thanks everyone, for all your words of encouragment. I hope have an enjoyable Sunday. Goodnight all.

Rob

Saysusie
07-06-2008, 09:28 AM
Rob;
I had said, in a PM, that I hoped your weekend with your family was wonderful. And, so it was and that makes me happy. Having an understanding and loving family can make such a big difference.
Glad to hear the above and below issues are better :lol: Now, just make sure that everything in between does not take a tumble! Take care and continue being HAPPY!!!!

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie