PDA

View Full Version : Common cold gone bad?

kimb
06-30-2008, 09:25 AM
Hello everyone....
I am lucky enough to get a head cold of some sorts. In my case, when I do, it starts on one side of my head, then goes to the other side. Itchy sore glands to start, then scratchy throat, hard sneezes, and now a froggy voice and cough. All the usual.
What I am wondering is.....besides fever, what do I look for to know my cold has progressed? How long do I try to take care of myself?
Problem is, we are coming up on a holiday and we plan to go camping, then return only to pack up a leave again a few days later.
Should I try to see my GP this week? WOuld antibiotics in hand be good to have in case?
wondering what.....
Kim

sits_inthe_corner
06-30-2008, 10:03 AM
Kath,

I take Cold FX. It's the only thing I'm allowed to take because of the medications I'm on. I HIGHLY recommened it. They sell it in the states and in Canada.

You start by taking 3 pills 3 times the first day, 2 pills 3 times the second day and 1 pill 3 times a day the third day. I swear by the end of the first day I'm starting to feel much better and by the end of the 3 days I'm Okey dokey!

Yes it's safe for people with lupus and should not react with your medications. If you have any concerns ask your pharmasist. I LOVE this stuff. It got me through the winter months with no missed time from work because of a cold.

Hope this helps. :)

cheryl_v
06-30-2008, 08:18 PM
This may sound silly, but works for me and family. Take honey, 1tsp 3x a day. It has natural enzymes that fight off infections. Good for sore thoats and cough too. Helps us get over our colds really quick. If you don't like it strait, put in hot tea and drink within 5 minutes. Feel better soon :D.

Saysusie
07-01-2008, 02:32 AM
Antibiotics will do nothing for a cold. However, I ALWAYS keep antibiotics with me when I travel. We are already immune-compromised and I seem to develop sinus infections as easily as others breathe :?
It is not a bad idea to keep some handy, but do not use them when they are not needed.

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

luvwine2007
07-09-2008, 03:47 PM
I just got a cold too. At least I think it is a cold. It started over a week ago. Sinus pressure for day, sore throat and swollen glands. But the kicker is this cough I have. Just a dry, awful cough. I haven't slept in a week because I'm coughing all night long!! I was coughing so hard in a restaurant that someone asked me if I was choking...how embarrassing! I tried some over the counter stuff (but not Cold FX...will remember that for next time) and honey and vicks vapor rub. Nothing was working. I went to the dr finally yesterday just because I am so exhausted. He said my lungs sound fine, had no idea what it was. Gave me a steroid inhaler and codeine to help me sleep. I slept slightly more last night...hoping for more sleep tonight....

So are all these colds lupus related? This is at least my third cold in six months and I never used to get colds (and I used to live in ND...land of the colds!!). It's so frustrating!! I'm fondly remembering the days of a good immune system.... <sigh>

laurid8967
07-09-2008, 03:59 PM
Hi all -
im not sure about where all of you live, but I can tell you that here, in Boston Ma, the allergies are HORRENDOUS! All those symptoms are the same as allergies...ithy throat, constant cough, stuffy head, sinus pressure, etc. I have terrible year-round allergies, and I am on Allegra D (presciption) daily. It works WONDERS...Of course, you all may have colds, but just and FYI - it is allergy season. Chronic allergies can cause alot of problems you wouldnt even think of.
You could try some Claritin D, or one of the others to see if it works. Also, a Benadryl before bed always helps me as well. Partcularly with the air conditionrer on all night.
Good luck!!
Lauri
PS - Be careful that if you are taking stuff for a cold, that you dont use immune-boosters, etc like they sell for cold and flu season. These are not good for people with autoimmune disorders...

luvwine2007
07-10-2008, 01:53 PM
I thought it was allergies at first too, but I've never had a cough like this with allergies. My cough is worse today. I'm so exhausted since I was up half the night coughing again, and now my chest muscles are hurting from coughing. I'm at a loss....... I just want to sleep!! :(

mnjodette
07-10-2008, 05:45 PM
Hey, Kimb, how are you? I'll bet you're on the second rough of your trips, huh? I hope you got over your cold. You've also had all of the smoke to deal with out there. I wonder if that's got anything to do with your problems? Even if you didn't have allergies before, you CAN develop them if exposed to something repeatedly (like smoke!) Let us know how you're doing when you get back home.

Jody