PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Me

Tohaveornot
06-30-2008, 09:03 AM
I am a 16 year old female with a family history of lupus. My mom was diagnosed when I was in kindergarten and is now in remission. I have grown up around books about lupus and autoimmune but I am still conflicted.
I have hypothyroidism that is hormone linked, I have ovarian cysts and orthostatic proteinura. I also have rheynoids phenomena and a positive ANA. I get sick very often and i have had mysterious red rashes on my arms sporadically. Yesterday I developed white splotches across my very tan face (specifically across my nose, my forehead and chin). Could this be the sun exposure reaction (I just got back from mexico) In addition I am usually tired, and achy and I get dizzy at odd moments.

In you guys' opinion do you think I have lupus?

KathyW1958
06-30-2008, 09:13 AM
Hi
Welcome to the site. Has your mother had you tested for Lupus? I am wondering with your symptoms. I don't know about the whites patches on your face, but the joint pain and all could be Lupus related. There will be others that post in here with a lot of information that may help you.

Kathy

swearimavirgin
06-30-2008, 10:32 AM
Hi:
Like in the other post...I'm not sure what the white splotches could be. Before I found I had Lupus, I was in the sun a lot. On my lower abdomen, when I would tan, I would have white splotches. I learned that these were just tiny areas where I had no skin pigment and they were no big deal...just odd looking. You said your mom does have Lupus? Do you know the specific type she has? Your fatigue and achy joints sound an awful lot like the symptoms that mostly Lupus patients encounter. Also, the red splotches on your arms...have they ever appeared before? Definitely if you were out in the sun a lot they could be 'active' lesions...if it is Lupus. Could you describe more in detail what they look like? Do they itch, burn? But Lupus lesions are like no other thing, so if you're out in the sun a lot, they would be like nothing you have ever seen or felt before.
I know you're young and with your family history, this seems very scary to you but don't freak out just yet sweetheart! I was diagnosed with Lupus at the age of 19 and through all of my online research this site has the most informative people I have ever met!
Jessica

Saysusie
07-01-2008, 02:20 AM
Tohaveornot;
Lupus can cause collagen vascular disorders which would cause white splotches on the skin. There is also a skin condition called Livido Reticularis in which there is pattern of white and red areas. This condition can also be seen in Lupus.
As other members have mentioned, your other listed symptoms could also be due to Lupus. Have you been diagnosed with Lupus?

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

Oluwa
07-01-2008, 06:25 AM
Have or Not,

Haole Rot...maybe? Not to steer you away from an IT, Lupus diagnose...

While I lived in Hawaii some white people would get white spots on their skin. Locals, and well us whites too called it Haole Rot. Haole meaning white person. But anyone, of any color can get it...

You can get it in any country..it is called tinea versicolor..follow the link...
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/tinea-versicolor/DS00635/DSECTION=symptoms

FYI, Haole maybe consider to a racial derogatory term I read.... but while I was there it wasn't...

Check it out, maybe a little cream will do ya just right...

Keep well.
Hugs,
Oluwa

Tohaveornot
07-01-2008, 08:24 AM
Wow, thank you guys so much. The response is really encouraging.

My mother does have lupus nepheritus (spelling is off, sorry) and hypothyroidism.

I forgot to mention heart palpitations. Sometimes my heart feels...coldish and tingly. Also when i breathe really deeply it hurts.

I feel like a hypochondriac.

I have not yet been to a rheumo, but she has been promising me for a while.
So, I should soon.

The red spots are pretty darn random when they do come and they itch like no other.
they are tiny, slightly raised and can look a little like acne at the beginning.

I really just feel bad for my mom because she gets really emotional whenever anyone brings it up or I get sick.
She worries more than I do...
haha.

Anyway, thank you guys so much and I will keep you posted.

KathyW1958
07-01-2008, 08:39 AM
Hi
Please do not ever think that you are a Hypochondriac, because you are not. I seriously think that your mother should take you to see a Rheumatologist. I believe that Lupus can be inherited. I have it as does a younger sister of mine. I hope that you can get some help soon.

Hugs,
Kathy

laurid8967
07-01-2008, 08:49 AM
I agree with Kathy....How can you "fake" a rash?? Plus a positive ANA...you really need to be seen sooner than later. I am Mom, and I know that if the day comes where my 17 year old shows the first sign of this disease, I am on my way to the docs with her!!! Im sure your Mom hates to even THINK of the idea of her baby being sick, thats the way Moms are.
Im sure she will get you there soon and you can start treatment if it is lupus or any other CTD/AD
Love Lauri

swearimavirgin
07-05-2008, 02:20 PM
tohaveorhavenot:
Going to a rheumatologist is definitely a good idea. However, let me stress the importance of also going to a dermatologist. I went to several family docs and a rheumatologist without them giving me a diagnosis. They all said it must be just a 'bug' because of all of the joint aches and nausea that I was having until I finally linked my skin issue. That's when I went to a dermatologist (actually 2) and the second one took one look at me and said, "You have Lupus." Mine was one small lesion on my face that looked completely like a zit that just wouldn't go away. I know you mentioned a zit-looking thing in a previous post.
I hope you're feeling better today and if you ever want to talk...we're all here! Take care! Jessica

sits_inthe_corner
07-05-2008, 06:04 PM
Welcome Tohaveornot

I don't have much to add to what the others have already said, except to say Please take care in the sun. Are you on any medications for your other conditions. If you are you need to check as see if they make you sensative to the sun.

Aside from medications...if you do indeed have lupus the sun will affect you. You must cover up and were a good UV protectant.

Try not to worry yourself too much. Even when you do go to see a rhuematologist, they may want to watch you for a while and run tests before they even think of a diagnoses or treatment. It's a long slow ride. Best thing you can do for yourself at this point is take very very good care of yourself.

Eat healthy, get proper amounts of sleep, excersize (no I don't mean knocking yourself out with arobics) I mean be active. Move your body. Take time to relax and destress. If you don't know how to destress then do some research. It's very important to manage our stress levels.

Wow guess I had more to add then I thought :lol: shutten up now!