View Full Version : I am desparately hoping for help!!

06-25-2008, 03:38 PM
About 16 years ago I had a bad skiing accident and had knee reconstruction. At that time they grafted a tendon and some bone from the same leg that they were operating on to reconstruct the knee.

Well as my luck would have it, I fell down June1 and blew the entire graft. So now I have to have surgery July 30th to reconstruct it again.

I have been offered two options an autograft from my tendon in my good leg to be placed in my bad leg.


Allograft (cadaver) graft. I learned that there is slightly higher risk of infection in a person of good health with this method. I am also concerned that the cadaver graft might make my lupus (which is already giving me severe problems) worse.

Neither my ortho or my rheumy will make the decision for me although the ortho prefers not to disrupt my good leg if the rheumy ok's it--but rheumy wants me to make the final decision.

Does anyone have any information on whether an allograft is a good idea or a bad idea for a lupus patient?????

06-25-2008, 06:49 PM
Hi ItcBitc...

I've only had cadaver bone graft into my cervical spine...no infection. I opted for donor in lieu of two surgical incision sites. I was told the hip chip surgery would take longer to heal than my spine surgery.

I wasn't equipped to deal with two surgery sites...are you? That is something you may want to ask yourself also.

The surgery in itself is what caused me to flair without my Louis Vuitton bag for several months and it was also a very stressful time, other happenings.... during that year for me. Toss those two things into the mix and I was sure to come out with flaming cheeks and crippled up with IT.

It is a big decision, follow your inner voice...let it be your guide.


06-26-2008, 05:11 PM
Glad to hear your graft went okay. I too am worried about two surgical sites. Both legs!!! They say that the extraction of the graft will heal fairly easily. The tough one is going to be going through the rehab for my acl restoration. The first time was horrible. I am still not sure what I am going to do. My preop appointment is the 20th of July so I guess I have to decide by then. Thanks for the input.

06-27-2008, 07:42 AM
You're welcome itcbitc... :D