PDA

View Full Version : Do I have Fibromy.?

kimb
06-24-2008, 12:50 PM
What do you think?
Every night I take a 1/2 ambien to get to sleep/stay asleep.(partly due to overactive mind, not sleepy and pain) Every morning, sometimes hours before waking, my upper body feels like I have been raking boulders all night while carrying a 50lb backpack on my back! After I wake and eat, take my meds, then I take 3 advil. I try not to take them all day but end up taking them again in the late afternoon and then before bed. The acheness returns in the evening. Advil does relieve it. the pain,
upper body, chest, sturnum, ribs, upper back between shoulder blades and neck.
Does this sound like Fibromyalgia? I do get very sore if I scratch my skin or someone pokes me, sometimes for minutes afterwards.
Are antidepressants the main treatment for Fibro? And is it true prednisone does not help wtih fibro symptoms?
I would like to take yoga, it sounds like it would be soothing and relaxing.
I dont believe my stomach is causing this, I do take protonix daily, pred. 4mg, methotrexate and colchicine. I really dont want to add more meds to my list....

thank you for your imput!
feeling crunched, Kim :?

laurid8967
06-24-2008, 06:38 PM
Hi Kim,
I was Dx with fibro over 5 years ago, by many different docs. But I also had "something else" going on - which turns out to be poss. lupus/CTD. Anyway, I have always been treated for fibro with antidepressant. First it was with Elavil (tricyclic antidepressant), which worked OK. Then I was given Celexa, and I have been on that since (6 years or so?) It does help somewhat with the pain, but , subsequenlty, I needed it for depression too, as I was downright depressed from being ill all the time. It does - in no way - help with all the pain. However, its hard to tell sometims if the pain is FMS or lupus related. Steriods are an antiinflammatory and, techincally, FMS causes no inflammation. FMS has a specific criteria using tender points (I think 18?) and also the fatigie, malaise, brain fog, lack of concentration, etc. So, though steroids do work on these issues with lupus, they apparently dont with FMS. I know, I know...its all very strange...My fight against FMS for years has been ibuprofen in the AM , in the afternoon and definately, before bed. Thats the best i can do as I cant take any narcotics. They aslo use anti-seizure (anti-convulsants) to combat FMS, like neurontin. Your rheumie for your lupus should be able to do the tender point test to see if you also have FMS. It is very common to have both.
Good luck
Laurid
PS - Yoga and /or gentle stretching is one of the best things u can do for FMS. Just be gentle and listen to your body - dont push too much.

Saysusie
06-25-2008, 09:35 AM
Antidepressant medications can also help relieve symptoms of fibromyalgia. Antidepressants tend to boost levels of the chemical neurotransmitter Serotonin. Antidepressant medication is typically used to help relieve symptoms of depression. They work on different parts of the brain that control emotion, and help to change brain function so that people feel less depressed.
There are three main classes of antidepressants: tricyclics (TCAs), selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), and serotonin norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs). Each class of antidepressant pills works on different areas in the brain in order to improve mood.
When people with fibromyalgia receive antidepressant prescriptions, it is typically in order to interrupt pain cycles and restore restful sleep. Antidepressants are prescribed in lower-than-usual doses in order to treat these symptoms.

Tricyclic Antidepressants(TCAs)
Tricyclic antidepressants are among the oldest antidepressants on the market. They work by acting on serotonin and norepinephrine, which are chemicals in the brain that help to transmit messages about pain and emotion. Low levels of these chemicals are associated with depression, fatigue and pain. TCAs work by slowing the breakdown of these chemicals. In low doses, tricyclics are also effective at reducing pain and facilitating restful sleep, both of which are helpful to fibromyalgia patients.
Studies show that TCAs are the best antidepressant drugs for people with fibromyalgia. About 32% of fibromyalgia sufferers experience relief with tricyclics. The most commonly prescribed TCA is amitriptyline; other tricyclics include doxepin, nortriptyline, and cyclobenzaprine. Though TCAs are highly effective, they are also associated with more severe side effects than other, new antidepressant medications. These side effects include: dry mouth, constipation, blurred vision, fatigue, and low blood pressure. People with glaucoma, heart conditions, or seizure disorders should not take TCAs.

Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (SSRIs)
SSRIs are one of the newer classes of antidepressants. They are widely prescribed for depression as well as a variety of other ailments. SSRIs work by stopping the breakdown of serotonin in the brain. Serotonin is a neurotransmitter, which helps our brain to communicate pain signals and emotions. SSRIs are highly effective at reducing feelings of depression and anxiety.
SSRIs are used in fibromyalgia in order to improve sleep patterns. People with fibromyalgia often have disturbed sleep, which contributes to fatigue and persistent pain. SSRIs also help to bolster mood in fibromyalgia patients. Commonly prescribed SSRIs include: fluoxetine, paroxetine, and citalopram. SSRIs are not effective for pain relief and therefore are not used as often as TCAs. Recent studies show that SSRIs are most effective when used in combination with a TCA (for instance, fluoxetine and amitriptyline). Side effects of SSRIs are mild. This antidepressantís drug side effects include nausea, weight gain, anxiety, loss of sex drive, and headaches.

Serotonin Norepinephrine Reuptake Inhibitiors (SNRIs):
SNRIs are very similar to TCAs, as they work on both serotonin and norepinephrine in the brain. However, SNRIs are better able to balance levels of both of these neurotransmitters, leading to fewer side effects. SNRIs are commonly prescribed to alleviate depression and boost energy.
SNRIs are used in fibromyalgia to relieve pain and disability. They are also beneficial for treating symptoms of depression. The most commonly prescribed SNRIs are duloxetine and venlafaxine. SNRIs are sometimes prescribed instead of TCAs because they tend to work faster and cause fewer side effects. Effects of this antidepressant medication include: indigestion, nausea, sexual dysfunction, and loss of balance. SNRIs are not recommended for people with heart conditions.

I hope that this information has been helpful to you.
Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

mnjodette
06-28-2008, 05:11 AM
Hey, Kim...how are you doing today? Still raking boulders at night? Hope you're feeling a bit better about things. That kind of pain is so unnerving. My doc is pretty sure I have Fibro, too, but wasn't terribly aggressive in treating it. Maybe that will be the silver-lining in having to get a new doc - maybe she'll have a better attitude about that. Thinking about you....how's the smoke out there?

Jody

kimb
06-28-2008, 08:36 PM
Thanks Jody,
I am feeling better today. I am not as sore, I think I got all my boulders raked the other night. What is weird....I feel like its almost consistant with my time of the month...? I will keep a good track on these symptoms, see if I find a pattern.
I really dont want to add any more meds right now. I will try to ride it out for as long as I can. Advil does seem to help.
As for the smoke....Much better today. The local pools have been closed until further notice and our swim team has canceled their swim meets until further notice. I have had a scratchy throat, probably from the smoke.
Thanks for all the support Jody.
Everybody else, thanks for all the info.
Kim in Smokey California! 8)