PDA

View Full Version : my dr. appt.

busymom3
06-23-2008, 04:19 PM
Hi all.

Well, the appointment that I have been waiting 6 weeks for was today. I guess it is my turn to complain about the dr. I don't want to be sick and I will be A-OK if everything is fine, but to be blown off today like I was just makes me want to cry. This appointment wasn't even my idea! My PCM ran an ANA because she was noticing stuff in my record. He said, "So, you are here because you had a positive blood test?" What do you say to that? I said yes. I didn't know what else to say. The dr. spent 15 minutes with me. I took in all my X-rays as they asked and he didn't even look at them. He asked me questions that he already had the answer to because he was looking at them on my registration forms. We didn't talk family history, we didn't talk about much of anything. He felt my joints. Told me that I had a heart murmur (Whatever) and flat feet. The flat feet are what is causing my leg pain. Yeah, right. I told him that was one that I haven't heard before. :lol: I don't have flat feet. I have been to 2 different podiatrists. No one has ever mentioned flat feet. Actually, one of them told me that I have a nice arch. Oh, and my husband has nearly flat feet. They almost didn't let him in the Navy. I know what flat feet look like and it isn't mine.

He took 6 vials of blood and told me to come back in a month. He wasn't rude or anything. He was friendly, but he was apathetic. My primary care doctor spends more time with me. Oh, and the weird thing is that when I was telling him how my hands hurt and they swell and get very red he told me he isn't sure why that would happen? I am sorry. Aren't you a rhuemie? Seriously. Oh, and he said nothing about my face. I went in sans make-up because that is what they asked. It would have been nice if he would have just said that my rash is rosacea. But to say nothing?

So, there is my venting. You know. If nothing is wrong with me, fine. That is fine. I have been living with my leg pain since I was a kid. I will deal with it. But, he prescribed me a medication for them that if he would have read the 6 pages of paperwork that they made me fill out, he would have known that I have already tried that one and it doesn't work. Oh, well. Moving on...

Thanks for listening.

mnjodette
06-23-2008, 07:23 PM
Busymom3, that's got to be so frustrating. But, it's a familiar refrain. You'll read a lot of similar posts here - many doctors just don't have a real understanding of autoimmune diseases. Don't know what to look for; don't recognize symptoms when they see them; or they don't want to take the time to do the hard work of diagnosis. I'm sorry you're hitting that 'wall'. Don't give up....keep looking for a doctor that's going to pay attention. They ARE out there. In the meantime, vent all you want. That's what we're here for, right?!

Jody

KathyW1958
06-24-2008, 02:43 AM
Hi Busymom
I am sorry to hear about what happened to you at your doctors appointment. Unfortunately, this happens a lot and it is sad. I know first hand how you feel. I got treated like that for years, before I was finally diagnosed with Lupus back in 1996. You need to find a doctor that will listen to you. I know I use to get very PO'd when the doctors would not listen to me and would just blow me off. I guess you need to get nasty like I did and remind them that you are paying for their services and that you deserve the right to be listened to. I know in my case, I nearly died before I got the courage up to tell the doctors right out that there was indeed something very very wrong with me and that if they did not test me with every test they know about for Lupus that they would not get paid for their services. I hope that you find another doctor that will listen to you.

Kathy

Jennyfoo
06-24-2008, 04:19 AM
I"m sorry you got the brush-off too. It seems much too common.

I got it from my rheumy a few weeks ago. Next visit I go in armed with X-rays that clearly show I have Rheumatoid Arthritis. She didn't bother to look at my rashes either which I thought was weird. I can't even go out in the sun for 5 minutes without my rashes flaring up beet-red.

Hopefully next time will go better. Or look for another Rheumy. I'vegot very few option with my insurance, but I've got an appt. set up for September(his first available) with a different rheumy. I'll stick with the one I've got now for Dx and to begin treatment, then I'm outta there.

Good luck to ya!

Saysusie
06-24-2008, 07:22 AM
Hi Busymom3;
You have another appointment with this doctor. I would start that appointment by letting him know that you felt as if he was brushing you off at the first appointment, that you felt as if he could care less about your issues, and that this IS NOT the relationship that you want with a doctor who is supposed to be caring for your health. Then ask him, if this is going to be the way that he deals with your health, then it might be best for you to seek another doctor who cares what happens to you.
Remind him that he ordered a medication that you had already taken and if he had taken the time to read your information, he would have known that. Remind him that you know what flat feet look like and no podiatrist ever told you that you had flat feet, therefore, you feel that this diagnosis was another way for him to brush you and your issues off. Remind him that you were told to bring your X-Rays and that he didn't even have the courtesy to look at them. If he does not want to treat you and respect you, to let you know so that you can find a doctor who does.
Do not be afraid to stand up to him, to demand that he respect you as a patient and that he take you seriously. Also, don't be afraid to demand another rheumatologist if he cannot do what he took a Hippocratic oath to do. Further, when you demand another rheumatologist, insist that they give you an appointment ASAP as you REFUSE to wait another long length of time, especially given the fact that the request is being made due to the fact that this doctor does not care about you and you refuse to deal with a doctor who doesn't care.
Please let us know how it goes, and remember, we are always here for you.

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

laurid8967
06-24-2008, 07:45 AM
Oh BusyMom -
Im SOOO Sorry you had to experience that. It is so upsetting - I know, like many others, first hand. Please don't give up. I did for a while, and only set myself back. I did finally find a doc (PCP) who acknowledged that these symptoms are NOT NORMAL! She subsequently semi-Dx'd me but, more importantly, she started to TREAT me. I have been better since.
Hang in there - maybe call your PCP back and tell them what happened. Good luck and keep posting....we understand
Love Lauri

busymom3
06-24-2008, 08:28 AM
Thanks, guys. I feel better this morning. I was pretty emotional yesterday. :oops: Sorry about that.

I do have a call into my PCM. She is very nice and I would like to tell her how it went. Especially since she was the one that was so set on me going. I am so bummed that she is due to transfer next month. Why is it you find a good doctor and then you move or they move? Oh, yeah. I am military that is what happens. :lol:

I am going to give the apathetic doctor one more try. I am all about second chances. I am going to see what comes up in my blood work. He is running my ANA again. Although, I am not really sure why. I asked him if my other one wasn't good enough and he said, "Oh, it was positive, but it is just where we always start." OK. That is fine. Maybe I am just one of those people that has a high ANA (well, I don't know how high mine really was. Is 1:640 considered high?) and is fine. I could be one of those people and that would be great. I do think, though, that he was just looking at my current symptoms instead of my medical history. After reading about many of you all's doctor experiences, I think that this doctor may be a "let's look at the blood work and go backwards" kind of doctor. I still think the flat feet thing is hilarious. I told my husband and he was shocked that he even said that.

Saysusie, what you said is very good. I have got to learn to stand up for myself. I have never been very good at that when it comes to my health. For my kids I am better. I guess it is the mama bear coming out.

Thanks again. I am glad that I could come here and vent especially since you all know what I am talking about.