PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question?

cheryl_v
06-21-2008, 05:00 PM
Filing out medical history forms, mom said uncle has "crippling arthritis". Had it since he was 17. Is that "Rheumatoid Arthritis", or something different?

Saysusie
06-22-2008, 08:11 AM
Hi Cheryl_v;
Arthritis ('arth' meaning joint, 'itis' meaning inflammation) isn't just one type or even a few variations on a single theme; it actually consists of more than 100 different conditions. These can be anything from relatively mild forms of tendinitis (as in 'tennis elbow') and bursitis to crippling systemic forms, such as rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis is an inflammation of the joints and the cartilage of the joints; furthermore it is an ongoing, degenerative disease.
There are more than one hundred different types of arthritis. Two of the most common types are osteoarthritis, caused by the wear and tear exerted on the joints through a lifetime and rheumatoid arthritis, caused by an autoimmune response in the body. When people speak of "Crippling" arthritis, 90% of the time, they are referring to Rheumatoid Arthritis. The most visible symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis are swollen joints and crippling stiffness, particularly of the hands and feet. But it can also cause fatigue, fever and loss of appetite, and in some cases it can affect the heart, lungs and membranes that surround these organs. That is why it is referred to as "Crippling" Arthritis.

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

cheryl_v
06-22-2008, 09:35 AM
On the form there's a slot for RA. Should I leave it blank and put Crippling Arthritis in the slot marked "other"? My mom said thats what doc called it 30 years ago. My uncle never really went back, so no follow ups. So was unsure how to fill out. I've filled out forms before, but never one this thurough. I'm sure that's a good sign :D . Thank You Saysusie for your reply. I tried to google and with those 2 words together, wow! Too many results, got overwhelmed and confused :? . Once again, I should of just came here first :) .

Oluwa
06-28-2008, 06:48 AM
I would say RA too...like when they said you got the sugar, it was diabetes...

L.
Oh...

KathyW1958
06-28-2008, 07:10 AM
Hi Cheryl,
I think that I would mark the RA in the RA box also, because usually the older folks called Rheumatoid Arthritis as crippling arthritis. I know that is what my step grandmother called it too and she use to get gold shots for it. Good luck.

Kathy

cheryl_v
06-28-2008, 05:00 PM
Thanks gals, I did. I thought that might have been really what RA was called before it was really known. Unfortunatly father medicl history is blank. Real biological father unknown. It always causes aggrivation with docs, like I can help it :roll: duh.

Thanks again all. Form is done know and put away. I feel ready, never had such a thorough doc before. Like I said before, guess that's a good sign? I hope so.