PDA

View Full Version : Awaiting Diagnosis

Girl in the 'Burgh
06-20-2008, 05:56 AM
For some time I have been suspicious that I might have Lupus. Recently, I realized that my city had a wonderful Lupus Center and that I had a friend who worked there. Upon asking the friend about the center, she encouraged me to make an appointment.

Finally, I had a doctor look at the whole picture of what was going on with me and not just what ailed me for the day. The doctor spent about an hour and half with me asking me questions, reviewing my medical history and family history and above all listening to me.

She ordered around 20 tests and panels for me. I have had the tests and am awaiting the results. The only results in so far were the ESR - which was elevated. My grandmother has Lupus (she is now 89!) and the doctor was suspicious that I might have it, too.

I have joint pain, I get the red face, mouth ulcers, extreme fatigue, have had a history of bronchitis and other frequent respiratory infections, costochondritis, cellulitis, and very dry skin and dry eyes.

Since my grandmother is now 89 and has lived with the disease for decades, I have a relatively rosey outlook towards the disease, if I in fact turn out to have Lupus.

KathyW1958
06-20-2008, 06:54 AM
Hi

Welcome to the forum. There are several people that come in here that are waiting to see if they have Lupus. I have had Lupus for many years, before I finally got diagnosed and treated for it. I hope that they can figure out what is happening with you. I am glad that you found a doctor that took the time to listen to you. Keep everyone posted as to what is happening ok.

Kathy

Batch007
06-20-2008, 08:43 AM
Welcome,

I like you have a rosey outlook on Lupus - and I think that is a good place to be. Lots of information on this site and lots of support. You are lucky to have a good place for care and a good friend you understands. Let us know how you fair.

Cheers,
Batch007

Oluwa
07-01-2008, 12:55 AM
Hey Girl in the Burgh..

Welcoming you with a warm hug...

Did you test results come back?
Are they treating your symptoms?
Feeling better?

I am happy you found a doctor who gave you a hour and half..that is a rare find for many of us. That is great to be is such good care...

Let us know..

Keep looking for your wellness..enjoy this day.
Hugs,
Oluwa

Saysusie
07-01-2008, 01:49 AM
Hi Girl in the Burgh :lol:
Welcome to our family. You are very lucky to have found a doctor who listened to you and who was willing to run all tests for Lupus. As a result, if you do have Lupus, you will be able to start treatment and, hopefully, stave off any debilitating flare-ups. Like your grandmother, you might be able to live many, many, many years with Lupus and maintain a relatively normal lifestyle.
Being positive is a big help :lol: Again, welcome and we are glad that you are here.

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

rob
07-01-2008, 03:40 AM
Hello Girl in the 'Burgh,

First of all, welcome. Wow, to have an actual Lupus Center, and have a Dr. actually spend the time and listen, you are very lucky. My mother has SLE, and is 72 years old. She was diagnosed about 10 years ago. She has had her ups, and downs, but overall has managed quite well with a couple of year long symptom free periods in those ten years. So there is good reason to have hope of a long and productive life with Lupus. I certainly hope that you don't have Lupus, but if you do, you might as well get a diagnosis and start managing your disease. There is a great group of people on this site. I'm glad you found us. Welcome.

Rob