PDA

View Full Version : Pericarditis?

ColleenT
06-19-2008, 07:09 AM
Has anyone has this? How does it feel?

I've been having chest pains and I keep on taking a deep breath to make it clear. (Doesn't clear though) Its not off the wall painful just continously THERE and I get these palpitations. I'm not really stressed about anything so I don't think its anxiety. Any input from those who've had it would be great please.

Colleen

KathyW1958
06-19-2008, 07:23 AM
Hi Colleen,

Sorry to hear that you are having this problem. I had the heart palpations and it turned out to be a heart arythmia due to inflamation of the heart muscle. This is a dangerous condition. It could also be Pleuresy. You need to get a hold of your doctor immediately and get seen for it. I have had both conditions. I hope that you seek help immediately.

Kathy

Goldee
06-19-2008, 08:31 AM
I get the same thing. I have no idea of what it is. Sometimes I feel like I can't catch my breath or that I'm shallow breathing. I have asthma and don't know if that is the cause.

My heartbeat seems irregular too --- I especially notice it when I am laying down, totally at peace. My heart will race and then seems to skip a beat. I only notice it when I am calm. A cardiologist tried to convince me it was stress but that really doesn't make sense since it happens when I'm relaxed.

I was supposed to go for a stress test but haven't followed up on that. I did have a sonogram of my heart and was told that I have Mitral Valve Prolapse with regurgitation. They said that wouldn't cause my symptoms tho.

Probably would be a good idea to see a cardiologist and explain your symptoms. Hope you feel better soon!

Saysusie
06-19-2008, 08:52 AM
ColleenT;
Have you contacted your doctor about the pains. As Goldee and Kathy suggested, it is important that you notify your doctor about these pains. Please let us know how you are and what your doctor said.

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

DebbieE
06-19-2008, 12:24 PM
I have this as well, but my blood work says it's not the heart muscle it's self so it's probably the sac surrounding it. I was told that the reason you notice it most when you lay down is because it's just so quiet. It's probably happening all along, you're just too busy moving around to notice. My blood pressure would shoot up too. Highest has been 164/115 with heart rate at 113. Doc put me on Atenolol. It's a beta blocker. Controls my blood pressure, helps control heart rate and also helps with chest pain. I still have chest pain and the occassional rapid heartbeat though, but at least now it's not constant like it was.

My mother sees her cardio next week and I think I'm going to ask him about it. I don't have my first appointment with the Rhuemy until late next month and my doc doesn't want me upping my dose of Atenolol anymore than the 50mg a day.

laurid8967
06-19-2008, 02:48 PM
Hey all -
Gosh, I feel like everytime someone writes, "Do any of you have this symptom?" , Im like "Uhhh, Yes." I hope I dont sound like one of those people who are constantly saying "Yup, I know, I have that - I have this, mine is bad too, Yup I have tHAT!!" You know the type?? I ahve a lovely friend of mine who, no matter what I say, she has it, has had it, etc."
Sooo, anyway, yes, I have this alot - and sometimes really bad on the shortness of breath lately. I was actully surprised because I thought the steroids might diminish it if it was some inflammation in my lungs (which I get alot). I am a smoker as well - certainly wont help matters - but its not that type of breathing issue. Its defiantely pain breathing in and the feeling of not getting enough air. It hurts alot when Im laying down - like if Im laying on my right side thats where the pressure/pain is. My doc said it definately sounds like a pleuretic issue and/or fluid. But like I said, shouldnt the steroids help that? Who knows - its not all the time, or I would call the doc right away. Its mostly after I go up my stairs/exert myself too much.
So, hope I dont sound like "one of those", but thought Id chime in!!
Lauri

mnjodette
06-19-2008, 04:24 PM
Hi, all. Yeah, I'm another of those "yup....I have that too" - at least about the chest pain! :roll: The advice to check in with a doctor is SO right, ColleenT. Pericarditis was the condition that finally led to my diagnosis. Scared the crud out of me - thought it was a heart attack. I was in the ER many times that year, with the same thing. Doctor always said "DON'T assume it's pericarditis...you should always have chest pain checked out." One thing: pericarditis nearly always hurts more when you lay down, and the pain is relieved when you sit upright and even lean forward. People with lupus are prone to lots of conditions that include chest pain. It's important that your doctor knows what's happening. Keep us posted!

Jody

ColleenT
06-20-2008, 03:41 AM
Hi Everyone,
Thanks for your replies. I'll most certainly take myself off to the doc on Mon to have it checked out. Unfortunately I have quite a busy day today and tomorrow, doing presentation, and it will simply have to wait this time!

A cencerm I've had though, is that these pains have only surfaced since I started taking Celebrex 2 months ago. Perhaps its merely a coincidence.

I'll let you know the outcome!

All the best
Colleen