PDA

View Full Version : No dazzle in my razzle

Razzleberry
06-17-2008, 11:31 AM
Hi everybody,

I'm back in the land of cyberspace but I'm in a hole and feel like cr*p. We've been traveling ...to the land of high altitudes ...and my ole body is protesting something awful. Between the lack of oxygen, the long hours of airplane travel, the extensive late night entertaining involved and worry over a sick family member it hasn't been good.

I'm battling a raging ...and I do mean raging! ...UTI ...the kind that frequently lands me in the hospital ...and since I'm at my cottage there are, of course, no doctors etc nearby. Today I got up with not only the UTI but one of those "sick" headaches that accompanies widespread infection. Did I mention that I feel like cr*p?

Rob, I remember your describing an electric shock sensation that flashes through your chest. I am experiencing that off and on as well this time ...something new and interesting I guess. Could you tell me what you know about that?

I will try to be more of a participant again but please bear with me and my old dial up connection here. I might be slow or not as involved as at home but I will try to come by as often as I can.

Anyone with any ideas on UTIs beyond the old cranberry and antibiotics routine? I told you I feel like cr*p, didn't I? :-)

I hope everyone is OK ...haven't read any posts yet but will try to get caught up over the next few days.

Saysusie
06-17-2008, 11:55 AM
Razzleberry;
I am soooo sorry to hear that you feel like Cr#p! You can say it as many times as you want, we understand.
With reference to home cures for UTI, If you donít like the taste of cranberry juice, you can try some alternate methods too. One of the often used alternative contains sodium bicarbonate (often called baking soda) and water.
First drink a pint of water consisting of sodium bicarbonate mixed thoroughly. Then start drinking a large glass full of water once in every 20 minutes for a couple of hours. This would give a good relief from UTI.

Another one of the UTI home cures is to avoid spicy food and citrus fruits. Reducing the intake of sugar and chocolate etc. also helps. Certain vegetables like onion and beans also can cause UTI, so avoiding them might also prove helpful.

The best remedy suggested is to drink lots of water and other fluids. The reason suggested is that the extra water while coming out through the kidneys will flush the bacteria from the bladder.

Though as per science, once the bacteria enters the urinary tract it gets stuck to the walls of the bladder and cannot be flushed out, this is wonderful home remedy to prevent urinary tract infection as the extra water will get eliminated and will not allow the bacteria to remain in the tract.

Also, Take 2 capsules of Oregon grape root or goldenseal to help cure UTI infection. And, Increase your intake of vitamin C as it creates an acidic environment in the urinary tract thus preventing bacterial growth.

Hopefully, Rob will be along to answer you other questions. I do hope that you start feeling better very soon. I know you must be miserable having to deal with all of this as well as you symptoms of Lupus. Don't worry about posting often, we want you to get better and that is the priority right now.

Get Better Soon
Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

Oluwa
06-17-2008, 01:53 PM
Not the dreaded UTI, Razzleberry...I had two in the 12 months...my only two. I never even had a symptom. Just did a UA and was diagnosed with one.....

I've heard they are painful....if you wait too long will it travel to your kidneys. From my books regarding homeopathic regime it..as I know little...it reads

Food therapy:
Avoid... acid and sediment forming foods...i.e, caffeine, black tea, tomatoes, cooked spinach...
Avoid carbonated drinks, concentrated starches, fried, fatty, sugar food and past your eyes dairy.
Avoid pickled herring, citrus fruits and juices, kraut and red wine...
Yeast free diet is best.
Add celery, watermelon, green teas....

You can follow one or do them all of the following..the bold one is recommended as the choice.

1. During acute stage...2 TBLS cider vinegar and honey in H20 each AM, cottage at noon and white wine at night.

2. Drink a minimum of 10 glasses of distilled water an/or alkalizing juices daily to keep acid wastes flushed. Acidify the urine with cranberry juices - 2 glasses daily.

3. During acute period...4 to 10 glasses of cranberry juice daily and carrot/beet/cucumber juice every other day to neutralize and cleanse infection...

Bodywork...

Apply wet heat compresses across lower back and kidneys to relieve pain and ease urination.

Take hot bath and cold rinse to release fluids and flush out acids. Usually it is a hot 20 -30 minute soak, with a wet cool cloth on you head then rinse with cool water. I would just shower in warmest water I can toerate then a quick rinse in cool. I always do that...a Finnish thing to do..sauna, cold snow..

And use plain white toilet paper..remember when they use to make designer toilet paper..egads

Crap, crap, crap..I think you can say that here...

Hugs,
Oluwa

rob
06-17-2008, 02:20 PM
Welcome back Razzleberry,

I hope you had a good vacation, even if you weren't feeling well. Welcome back.

Rob

Razzleberry
06-20-2008, 07:11 AM
Thanks guys for the tips and the info. I'm feeling a lot better ..still on antibiotics but the peeing has slowed and the electric shocks are gone and bonus ...this didn't trigger a flare! I will survive to fight another day.

It's been a terrible week tho. My daughter-in-law has lost one of the twins she was carrying and it's been very hard on all of us. So far the remaining baby and mom are ok. This pregnancy started out as triplets so it's been especially hard on everyone to lose one and now another.

Anyway, I hope everyone is doing OK and beating up their version of this darn disease :-)

sits_inthe_corner
06-20-2008, 01:27 PM
Hugssssss Razzleberry

Sorry you've had such a rough go of it. Here's to better times. :)

mnjodette
06-22-2008, 12:09 PM
Razzleberry, I was so sorry to hear you were feeling...hmmm...what was it again? Oh yeah....like CRAP! :shock: I'm glad you're doing better, and that it didn't generate a dreaded flare....good for you!

My condolences on your family's loss...how is your daughter-in-law taking it? You son? That's very hard. I pray the remainder of her pregnancy is uneventful and the baby arrives healthy and strong.

Jody

Razzleberry
06-22-2008, 01:35 PM
Thanks for eveyone's kind resposes ...daughter-in-law is a wreak, son is coping. We are all very sad. Soon I hope they will be happy for the one left and concentrate on that.

On the bright side tho ...grandma is feeling better :-) Down time at the cottage has helped a lot and I no longer feel like ....ah you know .....cr*p!
I hope all of you guys are keeping your version of Lupus locked in a cage and under control.

I'm off to read some posts. Toodle loo.

Pretti in Pink
06-23-2008, 02:27 PM
Razzleberry,

Glad to have you back. Sorry to hear about your loss, I will keep your family in my prayers.

Razzleberry
06-24-2008, 03:58 PM
Finally some good news for my kids ...surviving baby is ok and all should be well from now on. My son sounds SO much better and daughter-in-law is doing better.

I'm on a "get back into some semblance of shape" regimine here at the cottage. My old, old dog and I are walking daily ...we think we go far ...hubby just laughs and wonders who is pulling who. 20 minutes is the limit right now but maybe by summer's end here we'll be a bit farther. At any rate it's a start.

Just thought I'd share our good baby news.

sits_inthe_corner
06-24-2008, 04:48 PM
Hugsss Razzleberry

Glad to hear you and your bud are getting out for walks. I have a 12 yr old dog myself. He putts around in the back yard with me. If he's feeling perky we'll go for a walk. Neith one of us tugs on the other. lol

We're both respectful of each other's pain.

mnjodette
06-26-2008, 01:05 PM
Razzleberry, that's good news! So happy for your family!

It's so good that you're walking....and taking a pal with you! We take care of our younger son's dog - a 3 year old English Setter. She's a pistol. I try to walk her, but it's like a carnival ride....wild! She's a well-trained hunting dog, but leash-trained she ain't!! :lol: I wish I had an old, mild mannered dog to take with me on walks. Maybe I'll put a leash on my kitties and take them out with me! (Yeah, I'm sure THAT would be better! :roll: )

Jody

rob
06-27-2008, 07:13 AM
It's good to hear the survivng baby is doing well, and that everyone is coping and beginning to feel better. The whole situation has to be just heartbreaking. I'm happy to hear the good news.

Saysusie
06-27-2008, 09:14 AM
Razzleberry;
How are you? Your Daughter and her family? Losing a child, born or unborn, is devastating; and to have lost two must be heart wrenching.
I am so happy to hear that the surviving child is doing well as that mom is also ok. You and your family are in my prayers.

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

Razzleberry
06-27-2008, 01:28 PM
Hey guys thanks for your kind words. It means a lot.

I will be out of touch probably for the next week or so. Almost all my kids are coming here to our cottage for our annual July 4th weekend party ...even my son and pregnant daughter-in-law. The doctor said she could travel and she loves it here so it will be restorative for her I hope.

We'll be missing my daughter and son-in-law and beautiful granddaughter but the rest of the fam-damn-ily will be here. My elderly mom and dad and my sister and all neices and nephews. It's always fun but sometimes flare inducing. I promised my hubby to behave this year and let others do the work :-)

We will boat (me suitably covered from head to toe) and BBQ and we always have a clever patriotic t-shirt contest each year ...winner gets their name on our trophy and some tacky prize. It's always a blast.

Anyway ...I'll have a cottage full and no time to get away and get online so I wanted to let you guys know.

Thank you again for your sympathy regarding the baby. I do appreciate the thoughts!

laurid8967
06-27-2008, 01:45 PM
Hey Razz -
So sorry for your loss, but grateful there is much hope for the remainder of the pregnancy... God Bless You all....
Have a wonderful holiday!! I love 4th of July parties and we actually celebrate the 3rd of July down here, where streets on the beach (mine) are blocked off and theres bonfires and fireworks, etc.
Try to be good to yourself - let others help (My gosh, it is SO HARD for me to do that!!) and enjoy your family.
I hope you have a wonderful time!!! Best wishes and warm thoughts coming to you and yours...
Lauri

Oluwa
09-30-2008, 09:26 PM
Hi you, RazzleBerry....

Wondering how you are..how was the summer vacation in Canada? Your family? Internet connection yet, now that your back in the States?

Thinking of you..miss you...miss your emails....

Love,
Oluwa

DrinkofWtr
10-01-2008, 07:02 AM
Sorry to hear of your loss. My sympathy is with you and your family.

Razzleberry
10-01-2008, 05:50 PM
Hi Oluwa and all,

Thanks for checking on me. I've been home for about a month now but I've had no time to be online. My daughter-in-law gave birth to her remaining baby 9 weeks early and we have been spending much of our time at the NICU. Our little girl is 3 lbs and just too small but is feisty the nurses say so hopefully she'll be ok.

I had a rough summer with all our baby worry and then our beloved dog had to be put down. I flared and got better and flared and got better over and over again. Hard to eliminate stress when heart wrenching things happen.

I'm doing well now tho and look forward to reading what you've all been up to. I am planning on participating again on a more consistant basis.

Warm regards!

mnjodette
10-01-2008, 06:11 PM
Hi, Razzleberry....so good to hear from you and to hear that you're doing well now. Sending prayers that this new little life will thrive and soon be home keeping mom and dad up at night with healthy cries! (Sorry about your pooch....we DO love them, don't we?)

Jody

Oluwa
10-02-2008, 09:19 AM
There you are....RazzleBerry.

It has been a heart wrenching summer for you, your family...hugs. Old lives gone, new ones beginning.

Many prayers for your granddaughter...a rough start on life, with modern medicines and our prayers I have faith all will be well...

Be well, wellness for all of you I ask.
Hugs.
Love,
Oluwa

hatlady
10-02-2008, 09:25 AM
Oh Razzleberry, my heart, thoughts and prayers go out to you and your whole family.....

Many hugs, dear -

Razzleberry
10-02-2008, 04:59 PM
Thanks guys for your good wishes for our itty bitty baby. She continues to improve daily and grandma even got to hold her for the first time! Sweet.

Question ...well two. Anyone know anything about prevacid? Prednisone and NSAIDS have done a real number on my poor old tummy and doc prescribed prevacid. Took the first one this AM so wonder if I'll sleep tonight or be up all night with a fire burning in there.

#2 Lyrica ....he also wants me to take lyrica for my ever increasingly numb extremities. After reading the side effects I'm scared to take it ....plus I sure don't need another something that causes weight gain! Yee gods ...it's hard enough to keep it off while on prednicone!

Thanks a bunch!

mnjodette
10-03-2008, 03:52 PM
Razzleberry, I hear you! Doctor is talking about Lyrica for me, too. Both for fibro and a neuropathy (not to mention helping me sleep.) But I just can't bear the thought of something else making me gain weight! I finally took off nearly 30 pounds from my heftiest prednisone weight and it's like having a new wardrobe without spending any money!! Vanity, vanity, I know. Still, Razzleberry, if Lyrica will make a real difference for you, maybe it must be considered. Let me know what YOU decide to do!

Jody

Razzleberry
10-03-2008, 05:44 PM
Hey Jody,

I have pretty much decided not to take the Lyrica. The side effects scare me, the weight gain I can do without and the doc couldn't say that it would improve my numbness anyway. So why put yet another poison in this old body?? I have no pain with my neuropathy just numbness so until that's a safety problem I think I'll do without any drug aimed at that particular issue.

Just FYI I take Lunesta for sleep when I'm desperate and it works beautifully. If Ambian doesn't do it for you maybe give Lunesta a try.

Let me kow what you decide about the Lyrica ok?

Oh by the way the prevacid was amazing!! For the first night in forever I had no burning or regurgitaion and I slept comfortably ..hooray for me!!

Oluwa
10-03-2008, 05:47 PM
Hey Razzle...

Prevacid is an acid reducer in the stomach. I take an inhibitor, stops the pumps from pumping...Protonix twice a day. AM and bedtime. Mine helps tremendously with the pain, chest tightness and neck pain...the referred pain from it.

Try not to go to sleep with a full stomach. I sleep at a slight incline because I have Gerdie and she had found her way up my esophagus pre-medicine. As of late I feel my food tube is shrinking again, tight, food sticking and I just had it dilated at the end of April...g-r-r-r-r.

If, it burns at night ask your doctor about an evening dosing before your dinner meal...

Friday night, enjoy your weekend with your family...

Prayers for your granddaughter and you..
Hugs,
Oluwa

Razzleberry
10-07-2008, 09:55 AM
So my most amazing Prevacid is causing (I think) the most amazing diahrrea! Has anyone had this kind of response from it? It's my 5th day taking it and up til now there was no side effect to speak of (and complete relief from my heartburn etc) ....til 5 AM today ...been running ever since! I think it would be a good time to go for a colonoscopy now ...today ...cuz I'm sure cleaned out :-)

sits_inthe_corner
10-07-2008, 10:03 AM
Awwwww Razzleberry

Sorry to hear you having the runns-arounds.

Is there a better way to take the drug? i.e. just before bed with some yogart. Ask your doctor about this.

I take my plaquenil pills together at bed time with some yogart and sleep through the worst of it.

I'm not sure about the medication you are taking, but it never hurts to ask.

Hope you are feeling better soon.

Oluwa
10-07-2008, 01:46 PM
Hey Razzle....

With Protonix I don't get the loosies...I have the other issue. Dry and dusty. Are you dosing with capsules or tablets? Maybe ask to half the dose...maybe a different brand...maybe a milder acid reducer.

But it sounds like your food may not be digesting without the acid, Razzle....

Thank goodness for Mr. Wipple and Ultra Soft Charmin..don't squeeze the Charmin..

Hoping you have relief soon, if not, do see your doctor...

Hugs.
Love,
Oluwa

mnjodette
10-07-2008, 04:51 PM
Ooo, Razzle, that doesn't sound good! I take Priolosec OTC everyday, and it makes a world of difference for my heartburn; the reflux; the pressure. I'd give your doc a call and let him know what Prevacid is doing to you...there's got to be a better way!

Jody