PDA

View Full Version : Chicken Pox?

SwirlyGirly
06-15-2008, 11:00 AM
Hello all,

I'm curious how many people have had bad reactions to chicken pox in their lives? I first got chicken pox when I was 2. My mom says it was rather mild. I got it again when I was 10. That time was much worse. I got it again when I was 16, after having lupus. Had to be hospitalized, had 105 fevers and had the spots everywhere, even on my eye lids. The next time I was 22, and I had to be hospitalized because I had it internally (had problems with my lungs and had the lesions all in my mouth and throat. I was intubated for 4 days). At that time my doctors told me I had zero immunity to chicken pox and would continue to get it over and over again. Then when I was 25 I got shingles for the first time. WAY worse than chicken pox. I've had that 3 times now. The last time they put me in an induced coma because it also triggered a flare that set off my heart and lung problems.

I'm just curious if others have had issues with chicken pox and lupus. My doctor said he wasn't aware of a correlation.

luvpinkpeeps
06-15-2008, 04:55 PM
I didn't get it until age 29!

It was scary to have it at that age.

laurid8967
06-15-2008, 05:15 PM
Hi Swirly -
I have also had bad bouts of both chicken pox and shingles. I had chicken pox twice as a child, the second time really really bad (in all openings and orfices in my little body! ears, nose mouth - and more :oops: ) I was dxd with shingles more than three times, however, I think that some of those Dx were just assumed by my neuro at the time. It was very painful for sure, and lasted a long time. My doctor tld me I was susceptible as well, as there was varicella virus found in my spinal fluid, thus, I had like a chronic viral infection of the CNS. I have not, however, had a problem in a couple of years - thank you GOD. Shingles are NOT pleasant. Hope you dont continue to get them!
Lauri

KathyW1958
06-16-2008, 03:51 AM
I got a good case of the Chickenpox at the age of 35. I believe that that is what caused the Lupus to really show it's head big time. I had the Shingles about 4 years ago and that sucked big time. I have never heard of people getting the Chickenpox repeatedly or more then two times. I have heard of people getting the shingles, but not repeated bouts of full blown Chickenpox. I know that I would sure not want to experience the Chickenpox again, ever.

Kathy

Jennyfoo
06-16-2008, 03:03 PM
There was an extremely bad case of chickenpox going around when I lived in UT at age 20 and newlywed- both college students. The kids next door got it- one of them had it before. Then Hubby and I got it. We'd both had it as kids- full-blown cases too. It was awful! Sick, sick, itchy, covered in calamine, ick! We couldn't work for 2 weeks so had no rent $ and ended up moving back to CA and in with his folks- AUGH!

sits_inthe_corner
06-16-2008, 04:33 PM
ChickenPox yah ... no big deal for me...usually childhood thing.

:shock: shingles sucks...I really dont recommend it. I was in my late 20's when I got it...spent a week nakked in my apartment because it hurt too much to wear clothes.

I had some paint, so out of shear boardom, I painted my appartment....nakked.

Enjoy the visual hahahahahaha.

SwirlyGirly
06-16-2008, 05:25 PM
I remember that feeling! Shingles are not fun! I had a roommate, so it really cut into my nakid time. LOL I just remember it hurt to sit or lay or anything. I recall actually falling asleep on the toilet because I had a comfortable spot and nothing hurt there at that moment.

mnjodette
06-17-2008, 04:20 PM
I had a mild case of chickenpox as a kid - I feel so badly for all of you who've had it so severely (and multiple times!!!) :cry:

I had shingles about 18 months ago as a side effect of Imuran. My rheumy warned me it was a possibility, and I don't think I had been on Imuran more than a month when I woke up one morning and knew right away what it was. I had it on my chest, shoulder and neck (kind of an unusual area, I guess.) I still have scars from it. I called my doc and got on meds right away - just a matter of a few hours later - and it really helped to shorten the life of the nasty stuff.

Jody