PDA

View Full Version : Covering up the Butterfly Rash

JohnnyBGood
06-15-2008, 09:36 AM
Hi,

I am just curious on how other's deal with the butterfly rash... is there a good cream that will reduce/eliminate it? Does anyone use/recommend a cover up makeup?

Saysusie
06-15-2008, 09:42 AM
I haven't found one that does an excellent job. My malar rash left a dark scar over my nose and I have tried several concealers to hide them.....they are just OK. Maybe someone else will have some suggestions for both of us :P

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

Oluwa
06-15-2008, 12:22 PM
JohnyBGood..BWell..

You being a guy, how far do you want to go to look made up...

You know why women wear makeup? We were born without a face...

Okay...well, to be not so obvious, maybe you can go with a finish dusting powder to tone the brightness away. Your wife may have something already or find one similar to you complexion and use a full brush and dust. Dust very lightly with fast sweeping strokes, so as not to see a makeup line...

As for care, use mild soaps. Hey, use your son's baby liquid soap. Anything he uses, will be great to cleanse with...and his lotion too.

Oh, they do have lotion with a touch of tint, complexion tone in it...that may work..check it out...

I mentioned Cetaphil, it comes in a liquid or bar for cleansing. As of late I use Garnier moisture cream. The less junk in it, like apha hydroxy, , the abc of anti wrinkle gunk, stay away from...too harsh. Avoid vaseline..to heavy to absorb...

Splash your after shave on your neck to feel like your morning routine was complete if you use...

Maybe Rob, Morpheus, Teriod will have a regime recommendation...

Saysusie...is your scar darker that your complexion? Do you normally use a foundation? Have you tried to dab a lighter than your skin concealer on the scar, then follow up by dabbing your foundation...and then let your fingers melt it, blend it by dabbing with your ring finger. Sponges don't give it that set finished your your skin look like a finger does..

Just dab with the ring finger...layer it till you see it disappear.

We are usually lighter under the eyes, along the jaw line and middle of forehead. Darker on the nose from forehead to tip and the apples of our cheeks...

Work with two colors of foundation....

Play, paint one night at home and see what you come up with...

A recent good find...I use Maybelline Pure makeup..in a light blue tube. Shine free foundation with H20, oil free. Light in wear..I like it. Being of light complexion, the two colors I use are Ivory 1Light and pure beige 2medium..

Maybe that will be a good product for you too Johnny....it is light enough in texture...looks invisible but it covers..won't look so made-up. Check out you two.

Hugs,
Love,
Oluwa

hatlady
06-15-2008, 04:15 PM
Oluwa, you're an artist! (And yes, we women have to "put on our face" to face the world.... :lol:

I'm a klutz when it comes to blending, etc, but Oluwa's described how to do it beautifully. I"ve also heard of using small sponges (single use only) that are made for putting on makeup. Just practice, and try to use the same type light you'll be seen in most of the day (sunlight, flourescent, incadescent, etc...)

There's a product you can find at places that specialize in makeup called something on the order of "Dermakote" - it is made to cover up blemishes, birthmarks, etc. It is expensive, but I'm told it works wonders.

Amber13
06-15-2008, 10:13 PM
i have found that a green concealer (bear with me) blended just over the darkest area of the malar rash helps even out the tone of the red. eliminating the green is easily done with a liquid foundation. practive makes perfect and if you blend well enough it will look like a regular even skin tone! =D i hope it works for you too!

JohnnyBGood
06-16-2008, 04:32 AM
Hi again.

Thanks very much to all of you for your comments and recommendations.. I will definitely see what can work for me...

...Has anyone tried any hydrocortisone creams? I have and I am not sure.. sometimes it seems to work and other times it seems to bring the rash out more...

Oluwa
06-16-2008, 10:43 AM
Hi JohnnyBGood..BWell...

You're welcome. Trial and error...something will work to lessen the looks...are you wearing your 75SPF...check sunscreen thread for recommendations that Saysusie posted....

Hydrocortisone I don't thing ever gets rid of it...I've never tried it on my whole face. I think I dab it on a spot or two..but I do know steroid cream thins the skin. So use it lightly...

I have a prescription Aristicort...aka Triamcinolon cream. I just use it on my other body parts. I'll ask at my neck RheumBA visit...

Be kind to you skin...pat dry, no harsh stuff..

Be well.
Hugs,
Oluwa

Saysusie
06-16-2008, 03:17 PM
Oluwa;
My scar is much, much darker than my skin. In fact, it is almost black and mixing colors and using lighter concealer has not worked, so far. I did go to a dermatologist who suggested using a purple (yes, purple) concealer and it has done the best so far. I have yellow undertones in my brown skin and I tried a yellow concealer...ugh, that was an ugly sight :P
My butterfly rash was red and raw for years and, when it finally started to heal, most of it left no scar. But, the areas that did scar were/are 6 shades darker than my skin. Add that to my raccoon eyes and, without makeup, I am quite scary looking.
Currently, I am using MAC foundation and I do use two colors and mix them. I have extremely oily skin, so I cannot use liquid foundation (in an hour, it rolls right off my face - lol). I am going to take your advice and play with the two colors and the concealer to see if I can get something that I like and doesn't look like caked on make-up. Thanx for the suggestions :lol:
I'll let you know how it works!

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

Pretti in Pink
06-16-2008, 06:09 PM
Saysusie,

I too use MAC but I never though about mixing the two, I believe they can show you how to though. I also have oily skin. Do you use a different color in the summer?

Does anyone use some type of sunblock underneath their make-up? It seems like the sun is just eating my face alive.

tintin28
06-16-2008, 09:02 PM
Hey JohnnyBGood,.

I also found that steroid creams makes the rash more red the next day. Although I have to say my doc gave me the super-duper steroid cream called Betamethasone and I can only use a tiny tiny dot of it on a rash. (else I will look like my wife slapped me a few times last night--for like a month). I hear hydrocortisone is weaker but I suspect it will do the same thing.

I alternate the use of the steroid cream and it seems to work ok.

Asa bloke it is hard to cover up--especially if your job means you have to meet a lot of people.

I try to stand next to my uglier colleagues most of the time just so I look better.

Saysusie
06-17-2008, 10:56 AM
PIP;
Yes, I do use a different color in the summer. In spite of using sunscreen with a very high SPF, I still tan. So, I have to go with a darker shade in the summer. I use the lighter shade over the purple concealer and use the darker shade on the rest of my face (you are correct, they showed me how to do the mixing and the blending in the store), it works pretty well. The only problem is that, on those areas that I am trying to conceal, it looks a bit cakey to me. So, I am going to try Oluwa's suggestions and see what I can come up with.
Also, I absolutely wear sunscreen under my makeup. I have purchased a rather expensive sunscreen (Neutrogena Active Breathable) that also has moisturizers and no oil base and is lightweight. I use it only on my face so that I can apply makeup over it. For the rest of my body, I use a less expensive sunscreen (Aveena Active SPF 70). There is no part of my body that is not covered in sunscreen and I do this year-round. As I've said before, sunscreen is my body lotion. :lol:

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

laurid8967
06-17-2008, 12:09 PM
For those of you looking to battle the redness, I have tried Clinique Redness Solutions - no go (and pricey). Green concealer works best for redness, and yellow will offset brown/blck/purpley. In addition to red butterfly rash, I am blessed with BAD dark circles under my eyes with puffiness - pretty. My friend gave me her supply of the original mineral make-up off of TV - with Leeza Gibbons, Melisa Gilbert, etc - and what I found was the actual mineral powder was OK, but their concealer was GREAT. It actually did a pretty good job on my redness - and its not for that! I apply that underneath my Clinique foundation, and then I top off with a mineral bronzer. Before the concealer, I wash now ONLY with Oil of Olay Regenerist (gentle but effective), use Olay Wrinkle Reducer, under eye cream, and gentle SPF facial moisturizer....THEN concealer, foundation, mineral bronzing powder! Believe it or not - it looks pretty ntural - I hate cakey look. Howver, sometimes its just a pain in the neck to do all of this! But, I like wearing makeup and getting ready, etc. I think this works pretty good for me, because when people see me for the first time with my make up off they say, "Are you having an allergy attack?" or "Have you been crying?" lol - NO - this is the wonderful world of SLE!!
Lauri

laurid8967
06-17-2008, 12:28 PM
My last post I talked about the stuff from TV. I couldnt remember the name of it (brain fogggggg). But the name is SheerCover. I actually think you can get a free sample to try it out. Their products' coloring ranges from the very pale to very dark, so I think there's somthing for everyone. No harsh chemicals (if any), all natural, and does a pretty good job. The concealer works great.
lauri

Oluwa
06-17-2008, 12:48 PM
Saysusie....

Maybe if you mix purple and a yellow...those make brown.. Start 3:1 brown being the most, too dark try 2:1...the 1:1 ...then 1:2 yellow being the greatest...and so forth till you find a slightly lighter color than the skin that is not scarred.

Think of the six color wheel and the primary and secondary colors...the opposite colors always make a brown...

With yellow undertone in your complexion I would try the purple and yellow ratios since you are trying to lightening your skin tone and not cancel a color out. Like when I try to cancel red out with green...on my skin tone...

Then apply your foundation over it....

Happy face painting...

Hugs,
Oluwa

P.S..I am a sight too...blotchy red, white with dark circles...when did it all change. One day poof. I looked like a Halloween mask..

Oluwa
06-17-2008, 12:56 PM
Hatlady..

And how you fairing these days..

I do love to paint and draw. Did..I miss it..I seem to have lost my creativity and patience. It just doesn't flow...

Hugs,
Oluwa

Pretti in Pink
06-17-2008, 04:06 PM
Saysusie,

Thanks, I am going to try that sunsreen and moisturizer, it just dawned on me this summer that maybe I should be putting it on my face as well, really when I saw my new drivers license picture.

Tintin,

That is too funny, but whatever it takes to get over that moment and pick your self up while doing so.

Oluwa,

You should have some type of radio hotline show or something. I feel we are so priveleged to have someone so knowledgable in so many areas, a true gem. I have to watch it w/ colors too because if I mess up and think I am really doing something, I end up looking like a raccoon (especially when it comes to concealer)

Oluwa
06-17-2008, 05:34 PM
Pretti in Pink..

Oh that is too much of a compliment. I am humbled. I know very little...about a lot of things, but I do appreciate art and the body's health. Having IT has taken my interest of the health of my body to a different level...I read more...

For me, I feel it has been a privilege, a welcome to have met you and everyone here...such special people that I would probably never had the opportunity to meet otherwise if I hadn't had IT. If I hadn't had the feeling of despair...

Where would one find such comfort, such joy, such understanding...not in a coffee house, not in a hospital, not at a support group in person..but here in cyberspace..and how cool is that...24/7 coast to coast, country to country...

To you, to everyone, him, her...them...thank you for being here, being my friend...

And how have you been, it has been a spell since we chatted it up. I think I had a reply for you on I go something like this. Sometimes the threads move so fast, we miss post, then another pages gets filled and another...

Thinking of you...

Hugs..tight ones.
Love,
Oluwa

Pretti in Pink
06-18-2008, 04:31 PM
Oluwa,

I have been doing well, can't complain. This is a great place to hang out in cyberspace with friend. Almost gives you the comfort and feel of a coffee shop, just relaxing and free. I can't thank Saysusie enough for a forum such as this because you're right where would some of our paths have croseed and think of all the understand, love, and FUN we would have missed out on with each other!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oluwa
06-18-2008, 05:02 PM
Me, I would be lost in my pain, in my despair. I was lost when I stumbled in. And I am happy I was welcomed in so warmly.

Reading, typing..it all has this effect to heal....

I am happy to know things are going well, you deserve days like those, many days. Me, I'm doing fine myself...A quantum improvement from the last several months. I am very grateful.

Another great day today, hoping for another tomorrow. I can't wait...

Hugs..enjoy the night, Pretti in Pink.
Oluwa

Pretti in Pink
06-18-2008, 05:52 PM
I am so glad you are doing better as you were having a pretty rough go at it for awhile and we don't like it or IT when you can't come out and play. Stay well

Good night

busymom3
06-18-2008, 06:55 PM
Some of you mentioned dark circles under your eyes. I have terrible dark circles. What do you use to cover them? I haven't found a concealer that doesn't accentuate the bags under my eyes. I never used to be big on make up, but the past few years I have had to even out my skin. I found Bare Minerals to work well, but it doesn't cover the dark circles.

laurid8967
06-18-2008, 06:58 PM
I posted yesterday about Sheer Cover (off TV) very similar to Bare Minerals, but was out firlst. THeir concealer is excellent.
Larui

Saysusie
06-19-2008, 08:30 AM
Oluwa;
Today was my experiment day! What fun that was, my hubby was a bit bewildered 'cuz I kept asking him.."What do you think of this one?". His response (as men do)..."Ugh, what did you do different?" I fired him!
Anyway, the concealer. The combination that worked best on the scar on my nose was 2 yellow to 1 purple. The combo that worked best on the racoon eyes was 1 purple to 1 yellow! Of course, I had to write it down so I'd remember each time I made up. :lol: So, it took much less foundation on those areas to make a nice blend (thank goodness), no cakey look around my eyes.
So, You are a GENIUS! Thank You....Thank You....Thank You!!!!!

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

Oluwa
06-19-2008, 12:44 PM
Saysusie..you're welcome, welcome, welcome.

I didn't think of the color wheel until you mentioned purple...then I thought corrective makeup color scheme..

I am glad you found a combo ratio...

Just use the ring finger around your eyes, it has the least pressure of all fingers...and the warmth of our touch melts, blends the make-up..

Here's to feeling beautiful inside and out....hugs
Oluwa

Saysusie
06-19-2008, 11:47 PM
:lol: :)