PDA

View Full Version : I Went Grocery Shopping!!!

laurid8967
06-09-2008, 04:14 PM
Hi everyone -
I am so incredibly grateful right now. I just got home from grocery shopping for the first time in...maybe...two months!! NO exaggeration. I am so fortunate to have my Mom and Dad live next to me, my sister and her partner around the corner, and my brother (in-law, really- love him) right up the street. Therefore, I am able to get some help with regards to grocerries and what not. My Dad (the cutest man alive) loves going to the supermarket, so everyday he calls and asks me if I need anything. So.. a little here, a little there...Also, my parents usually have a good dinner each night, so my daughter (17 - uughh!!!) and my son (9 years old) can eat over there if Im not up for making dinner. My husband is great too. I have ALOT to be grateful for, and that is what I try to focus on on a daily basis, you know? Anyway, I know YOU all appreciate how it feels to have gone shopping again (like, wow, Im normal!!), so I thought Id share with my new buds. And, so far so good, so Im going to do something DIFFERENT right now. Im going to call it a day, and relax for the rest of the night. I have a terrible habit of starting to feel good, and then trying to get every single thing done, before I feel lousy again. Im sure you all have done the same. But, I wanted to thank you all, because, Im trying to listen to those of you with experience and advice, and to actually TAKE it seriously. I also bought alot of the foods you suggested for a healthier diet! Not that I eat a lot of junk, but when you dont feel well enough to make something healthy, and you dont want to bother anyone, I will absolutely go for the Kraft Mac & Cheese!! Anyhow, this board is great - Im so happy Im here, and - moreso - that you are all too!!! Be well - Lauri

sits_inthe_corner
06-09-2008, 04:24 PM
Good for you lauri

There are lots of quick and simple meals you can make that are good for you and your family and wont drive you bonkers to make.

And if you get in the habit of have certain things in your cupboard it makes it even easier.

No yolk egg noodles, par boiled wild rice, honey, shelled walnuts are things I wouldn't be caught with out.

But you'll find your own quicky healthy meals.

www.cookinglight.com and www.cooks.com are two of my favorit recipey sights.

You can find simple meals there. That's where I learned what sorts of things I could substitute for the not so healthy meals I was making....and I didn't have to give up flavor. LOL

DrinkofWtr
06-10-2008, 10:46 AM
I am happy for you. It must be nice to have support like that. I have a brother who hates me and my Mom and Dad are too old to help out much, and not in good health themselves. I made a big mistake of not making more friends when I was in better health. I am grateful for the support I receive from this website. I care about all of you!

Pretti in Pink
06-10-2008, 01:36 PM
Lauri,

I can feel the excitement, I am really happy for you. Isn't it strange how we learn to appreciate the smallest things we take for granted. I, too, have a supportive family and it makes a world of difference. I thank GOD every day for each of them and everyone here too because this board is GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Tony the Tiger GREAT)

DrinkofWtr,

I'm glad you found us and we are your cyber family. We maynot be able to go to the store or cook for you but we will certainly all of the cyber support, this includes prayers on my part as well.

SITC,

thanks for the websites, I have jumped out there on the culinary side and I want to keep it healthy. I joked with my husband and told him I sure did pick a fine time to get into cooking, right when groceries seem to be at their all time high.

sits_inthe_corner
06-10-2008, 01:44 PM
And of course the healthier you eat...the more expensive it is :microwave:

luvwine2007
06-10-2008, 05:29 PM
How wonderful to have family close by like that! I think for me my mom might cause me more stress though....LOL.

Yes, isn't it unfortunate that organic and other healthy foods? I keep hoping that the more people that buy healthy, the prices will drop. I can dream, right?

laurid8967
06-10-2008, 06:29 PM
Hi there - thanks for the replies. Yes I am grateful for my family. But - ABOSOLUTELY , luvwine, on Mom driving me crazy! God love her, but - OMG - sometimes its unbearable. She was actually the LAST to come around about my disease. This is one of the reasons I was so desperate before for an official DX! There was a part of her, I know it in my heart, that just didnt believe me. It was really awful to deal with. My worst pet peeve??? Same thing every day: Phone rings - me , hello? Mom: I have been trying to call there for HOURS!! (she lives next door). Me: Im sorry, Mom, Im resting, I really dont feel good today. Mom: Why? What's wrong?? ( UUughhhhh!!! )
I have grown so much, however. I used to reply to "Whats wrong?" with a frstrated, upset barking/screaming-type noise whereby, I would proclaim that "Yes, Mom, Im sick again!" Mom: "Well, how was I supposed to know?" Oh, I dont know, Mom, maybe because Ive been sick pretty much for a few years straight now, I am unable to work, ubale to function, really. But - its OK - I know I should remind you" lolol Today, I have learned how to accept her for how she is...its tough sometimes. But I find when I accept her for how she is, I lower my expecctations of her. When I lower my expectations, I dont get upset and disappointed when she doesnt meet them. Thus, many many less fights, and subsequently, less and less stress over something I have no control over. Its taken a while - lots of practice - but it really does work. I really wanted a Mommy to come over and take care of me, and clean my house, and rub my bum etc, etc. But thats NOT who she is. It doesnt mean she loves me any less, but that she loves me the way SHE can. Sounds so simple, doesnt it? Can you all tell Im a former social worker?? Thats what I have my BS degree in - social work! lol One of my favorite phrases, "Acceptance is the answer to all my problems today"...good stuff. Drkofwater (sp) - im sorry you dont have a stronger support system. Are there any support groups that meet anywhere near you? Maybe that might be an option?? Im glad you found this site, everyone NEEDS support with this disease. I hope you keep sharing, and know that my prayers and thoughts are with you.
OK - not tired - think Ill go read more posts!!! Thank you all!!
Love and friendship -
Lauri

mnjodette
06-10-2008, 06:55 PM
Congrats, Lauri....it DOES feel good to do something 'normal' doesn't it? You're a lucky person to have such a good support system. Makes all the difference. I have a husband who is just a prince....I'm grateful for that every day.

Hope you can continue to do 'normal' without paying a high price for it!

Jody

Oluwa
06-11-2008, 03:08 AM
Lauri...

Grocery shopping in no small feat....woohooo. You are quite right, save that spare change, energy for tomorrow. Don't want to spend it all in one place...

I have many, many times over withdrawn and found myself laid up for days. I finally learned, bank it...savor it...

If you would like, tell me your favorite dishes and I can simplify them and healthy them up...

Instead of reaching for Mac n' Cheese, maybe a bowl of Kashi cereal...or
Whole grain toasted bread w/tuna....or grilled swiss cheese and tuna. All hearty and healthy. Even a heart size serving of oatmeal with berries is great for a quickie and all can be a comfort foods....

Beef and pork are high , you'll find chicken and fish more reasonably priced. With fruits and vegetable eat with the season..and a handful, about 20 nuts goes a long way for the body. Almonds, walnuts....

We are happy you found this place in space too....Saysusie and Conrad made it possible for us to have a place to feel safe, to find comfort. When we share, we all learn...

I am also happy to know you have great support, and next door too. Can't get any better. Keeping looking for your wellness. Always take care of you...

And again..woohooo, yippee...Hugs...

Be well...
Love,
Oluwa