PDA

View Full Version : Hi from (too) sunny California

banderosa
05-30-2008, 12:24 AM
Hi,
I just found this nice forum today. It's pretty useful.
It took the doctors about 5 years since my first symptoms started, to be diagnosed, and 1 year after my really bad flare one year ago. So when I was feeling worst, i was left without a diagnosis and without a treatment. I thought I'm dying. Miraculously, my symptoms started to subside and i went into remission spontaniously without a treatment. I was finally diagnosed during my remission, which unfortunately continued just a few months. Now I have fever again, joint pain, fatigue, sun-sensitivity, tingling, swallen fingers for the last 6 months. I'm taking Plaquenil, but still have the fever. Isn't it supposed to help with that? My doctor doesn't want to prescribe steroids, because he said I have "mild lupus". Doesn't feel mild to me. Can it be mild, if I have fever?
What medication control your fever?
Does going out on the sun make your fever worse?
Thank you

Oluwa
05-30-2008, 07:43 AM
Hi Banderosa...

Welcoming you with open arms...

Plaquenil, I am on a total of 400mg daily...my temperature is low...96 - 97's.

I am not certain, nor from my research Plaquenil is a fever reducer. It is for joint pain and rashes to my understanding.

Fever reducers are asprin, NSAIDs and etc..which can mask a Lupus fever...or an infection...

I found this for your reading...

Fever: About 80% of people with lupus will sometimes have a low-grade fever related to the disease. Over a third of people with lupus report that fever was a first sign of the disease.

Fever during lupus flares is usually low-grade, rarely exceeding 102F. A temperature greater than this should stimulate a search for an infection as the source of the fever. However, any fever in lupus should be considered an infection until proven otherwise.

Hope it helps a bit...

Keep looking for your wellness and again, welcome.
Hugs,
Oluwa

banderosa
05-30-2008, 11:36 PM
Thank you for your reply, Oluwa.
It did clear a little bit the situation with the fever. That's my most bothersome symptom at the moment. I'm just very exhausted because it lasts for many months. I just thought that even though my lupus is active, since I'm taking Plaquenil the fever will go away. I'm wrong, am I?

sits_inthe_corner
05-31-2008, 01:27 AM
Hi banderosa

And welcome :)

It will help with the fever and other symptoms, but it does take a looooong time to build up in your system. How long have you been taking it?

I've been on plaquenil since December and I am just now starting to feel the benifits. I was at the point where I was going to ask the doctor to take me off it, because it wasn't working for me.

Then the other day I was out putting in my garden, humming and having a great time, when I realized this should have been hurting like blazes, but it wasn't.

So I had to hush my mouth :lol: and stay on it.

Oluwa
05-31-2008, 06:27 AM
Banderosa...

Morning to you...

I don't think Plaquenil reduces, rids one of a fever. Are you thinking IT fevers are the same as having a malaria fever? Plaquenil in IT cases doesn't treat fevers the same as the malaria ones from my reads.

Have you seen your doctor for possible infection?

Do you take your temperature 3 times a day and log it in to see the activity of your body temperature to see if your daily routine plays a factor in it. Morning, noon and night time temping?...

Have you tried to take any NSAID's...can you as per your doctor? Aspirin, Naproxen, Advil, Aleve, Tylenol...?

Sometimes IT, in some people cause a few degrees higher temperature because of the inflammation our body is in. Lupus is an an inflammatory disease.

Me, I am low, but I use to get waves of sweats, especially night sweats...now I don't any more. I don't know what changed...

Maybe Saysusie will pop in and have more concise information for you...

Be well.
Hugs,
Oluwa

mnjodette
05-31-2008, 02:31 PM
Hi, Banderosa. Welcome to the forum, and glad you found us. I believe Plaquenil (as others have said) works primarily on joint pain and rashes. I also had fevers too, and initially treated those with NSAIDS. I think the prednisone finally 'licked' them, but that probably would be overkill for someone with mild lupus. You want to avoid steroids if you can - I'm sure your doctor will feel the same way.

Hope you're doing some better today!

Jody

Saysusie
06-02-2008, 09:08 PM
Hello and Welcome Banderosa;
I have to concur with Oluwa and SITC regarding your fever. Plaquenil does not reduce fever in Lupus because there generally is no infection to fight. In malaria, Plaquenil can help to reduce fever due to the infectious nature of malaria.
Lupus fever is a different thing and, as Oluwa pointed out, if the fever is higher than 102, your doctor should be looking for some type of infection. Since our immune systems are compromised, we are prone to infections and, as such, should be treated immediately for possible infections. I would suggest that you talk, seriously, to your doctor about your persistent fever and request that the source be found so that it can be treated. Persistent fever can be serious, with or without Lupus.
Please let us know what you find out, I hope that you are able to get some answers and treatment soon.

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie