PDA

View Full Version : HELP-Bruises all over the place!

Pretti in Pink
05-27-2008, 04:50 PM
Hello Family,

I wore a skirt today and noticed a had a HUGE bruise on the back of my leg. I don't remember hitting anything or vice versa, and this has been happening alot lately. I used to have really pretty legs now they look like I've been beat with a bat. Some of the smaller bruises I have had for awhile, like months but they don't hurt at all.

Has anyone experienced this? I was wondering if it was probably from the prednisone? Any ideas on what I can do?

I don't mean to sound vein but it's the summer and I would like to be able to keep some type of femininity without looking like leopard.

sits_inthe_corner
05-27-2008, 05:44 PM
Hey Pretti in Pink

It's worth worrying about. I suggest you take a pic of your legs and get in to see your doctor. Let them know that you are bruising that easily.

I remember my mother doing that. You could touch her gentley and she'd come up in a bruise. She also burn easily, she was filling the sink up to do the dishes and a drop of hot water hit her finger and she came up in a blister right infront of my eyes.

Let your doctor know. :)

mnjodette
05-27-2008, 05:47 PM
Oh, PiP, I'm sorry you've got the battered leg look going on! Me too...and battered everything else, too. Yeah, I think it's the prednisone. I've always got bruises, and sometimes they just appear - even on the backs of my hands. I don't bump them....they just appear. And when I do bump something, the bruise looks awful. Just like you describe - like I've been hit with a bat! I suppose there are other reasons this can happen, but my doc did tell me that I'd bruise easily on prednisone. I don't know if there's anything we can do to prevent them. My legs aren't what they used to be, so capris are about as leg-revealing as it gets for me! :wink:

sits_inthe_corner
05-27-2008, 05:51 PM
:( Jody...that worries me,

Have you let your doctor know who easily you are bruising? I'm a worry wart about bruising.

mnjodette
05-27-2008, 06:11 PM
I have, but she hasn't said much about it. Just that prednisone causes increased bruising. I'll mention it again, though...you're sweet to be a 'worry wart', SITC.

Jody

Pretti in Pink
05-27-2008, 06:32 PM
Jody-I'm glad someone can relate, it's not pretty. I am going to bring it up to my doctor but afraid I will probably get the same response as you because I have another friend that's on prednisone and the same happens to him but he is not as fair skin as I so it's not as noticeable.

I asked my husband why he tell me about the "big" bruise on my leg and he said you always get those little spots so I did pay attention. That didn't make me feel any better, but he came back and tried to clean it up after he realized how it came out. But you know now I'll be self conscious, back to the pants.

SITC- don't worry we'll check in w/ the docs and be okay. You're a sweetie.

Rastagirl
05-27-2008, 08:48 PM
Hi Pretti in Pink.........

I've been on Prednisone for 26 years now, and, yes, it definitely causes bruising very easily. I always have small bruises, mostly on my legs, that are not related to any bumping or accident. They don't hurt at all, just look terrible. I'm also very fair skinned and it drives me crazy to have legs that look like someone beats me.

The Prednisone causes the walls of your capilliaries to be weakened and they 'burst' easy. It doesn't necessarily have to be from bumping something or injuring yourself, they can just do it on their own. Usually, if they burst, it just bleeds a little and causes a small bruise.

And when you do actually bump or hit a body part really hard, and they burst, that's even uglier. It will go from a regular bruise, to seeping blood through your tissues right under the surface of the skin and can spread out into a huge bruise. It can also cause a very painful, stinging feeling while it's seeping. I hate that part.

My Doc told me long ago not to worry about it. That it looks worse than it is. I even had it happen in one of my eyes once. I woke up one morning and the entire white of my eye was blood red. It was scary. I called my Lupus Doc and he got me in right away. He said it was most likely from the Prednisone, but had me see an Opthamologist that day. The eye Doc confirmed that my eyes were fine, it was the Prednisone. It took about a week to completely go away.

Because of this, I've learned over the years, that whenever I have my blood drawn, if the person doing it jiggles the needle in my vein too much, it starts the seeping blood and I end up with a gigantic bruise down my arm. Now, anytime I get my blood drawn, I make sure to tell the person before they start that I've been on long-term Prednisone and I bruise very easily. They seem to know exactly what that means and they're more gentle. (At least most of them)

I know there are a few other conditions that can cause bruising on your extremities that can be pretty serious, so it's always a good thing to tell/show your own Doctor.

I hope this is helpful. :)

We sound a little alike.....fair skinned (I call it extremely white), bruised legs, sportin' our capris, missin' our shorts. :lol:

Take care,

Lori

Pretti in Pink
05-28-2008, 01:16 PM
Thanks Lori for the explanation, you hit the nail on the head and explained exactly what I am experiencing. It's weird that the primary location is on the legs- weird. Well, at least I'm not alone in this.

Rastagirl
05-28-2008, 02:49 PM
Your Welcome Pretti....

I did discover something that works pretty well to 'camoflauge' the more noticeable bruises. About a year ago, I decided to start wearing a little makeup again, since I was feeling better. I saw the infomercials on TV for the Bare Minerals makeup that's so popular right now. I really didn't like the liquid foundation makeup cuz it's so fake looking if you don't get it just right and it's smeary and messy to deal with. I spent plenty of time with that in my teenage years.

I finally decided to try the Bare Minerals and I absolutely LOVE IT!! It's amazing stuff. I never feel like I have makeup on and it gives great coverage. It's like airbrushing. Covers all my flaws....freckles, pimples, little red rashes that pop up on your face, and my small circular scars from Lupus lesions I've had in the past.

One day, I decided to try it on a small bruise I had on the back of my leg. I used just a little bit, didn't try to completely cover it, I just wanted to lessen the purplish colors. And it worked really well.

I did feel funny putting makeup on my legs. Not something I thought I'd ever be doing. :lol: But it's been a nice option when those annoying bruises appear, and I want to wear a skirt or dress. It makes me feel just a little less self conscious.

Just thought I'd share what's worked for me.

Hope today is a good one for you........... :D

Lori

Pretti in Pink
05-28-2008, 03:58 PM
Thanks, that is a good idea. Who would know it was make-up, it's all about making you feel better and now me too because I am going to try some. You know all ladies want to put on their pretty little dresses :wink:

sits_inthe_corner
05-28-2008, 04:04 PM
Well...here's to little dresses, bare legs, and um no rain :lol:

Pretti in Pink
05-28-2008, 04:12 PM
Good point, is it waterproof? Now, that would be a site.

Rastagirl
05-28-2008, 05:38 PM
Well, no. It's not waterproof, but the Bare Minerals does have sunscreen in it.

So, we'll save those pretty little dresses for the sunny days. Which means I get to wear mine about 3 times a year in Oregon. 8)

Big sigh.......as I look out my window and watch it drizzle and drizzle. Just doesn't know when to stop here.

:lol: Lori

Pretti in Pink
05-28-2008, 06:26 PM
thanks, will do. I guess that's why they are called sundresses.

hatlady
05-29-2008, 05:33 AM
I've wondered about Bare Minerals - glad to hear it has some sunscreen and really works!

Another cover that might work - and may be waterproof is a makeup called (I think) Dermakote - it is practically prescription strength. Was made to help women cover birthmarks - the "wine stain" kind - and has been around a long time.

Yes, I come up with bruises too... but if I DO hit my hand or leg on something and know when I do it, I try to get ice on it for about 20 minutes - that will reduce the bruise as well. It is those "how the heck did I do that" bruises that really get you, though.

Razzleberry
05-29-2008, 07:01 AM
I've been out of touch at my cottage but just wanted to add that I too bruise easliy all the time now ...it's the prednisone my rheumy says. I get them on my legs of course and all the time they show up on my arms where I would never have bumped them. They just appear and they last a long, long time before finally fading ...although a few seem to now be permanent ...one from an IV almost 2 years ago is still visible. Strange.

Pretti in Pink
05-29-2008, 03:30 PM
I have one on my arm from my last IV treatment which was a year ago, I agree this is some weird stuff.

AnnMarie
05-30-2008, 06:07 AM
Hmmmm,
This is interesting. I thought that I was just a Brute. This explains those horrid colored bruises that show up everywhere. I just thought I was hitting body parts and not remembering. I mean I get huge bruises in weird places. My butt is not that big, but based on the bruises I get you would think it did not fit where ever I walked or sat.

I want to share a "find" w/those folks who want to get a tan but obviously can not. My skin is milk bottle white and I want to look a bit tanned because I live near the ocean and everyone has a tan. Yeah, I know,"peer pressure". I tried all kinds of self tanning products which were moderate to very expensive. I looked orange and blotchy. I was ready to give up when a hairdresser told me about, "Sun Source" by Aveda. It works and my bruises do not show up as much.Although, I do not use it on my rump for I do not show that to the outside world. I gave up mooning people in my early youth. I only tried this product because she said if I did not like it she would take it back even if I had used some of it. This is what she told me to do. Put it all over my body in small areas at a time to get it even and then put your body lotion over it. My problem now, I really do not look like a person who is afflicted by any health problems. You might even get someone who will say, "I thought you could not get a tan". Also, I have sensitive skin and this did not bother me at all. I did start with a patch test in front of my ear. I now, even use it on my face.

Remember though, it has NO sunscreen in it.

So, you have to find a hair salon that carries it and is willing to take it back if you are not happy. Also, read the ingredients on the back, it is a natural based product which can be good or bad, for it has almond oil in it. If you have nut allergies, this could be catastrophic.

I hope it works for those who want a tan but do not blame me if you feel like cr#p and look great!

Best wishes for all of you,
Ann

Oluwa
05-30-2008, 02:34 PM
Hey Pretti in Pink...

How are the bruised apples...though I am not on steroids, I bruise easily. They hurt like a cut when touched and take about two weeks to heal over...

I call my small spots finger bruises...

Love,
Oluwa

Pretti in Pink
05-31-2008, 08:13 AM
Hi Oluwa,

I still have the finger bruises although they look more like knuckle bruises. After you said your burn like a cut when touched I rubbed the "newest" ones on the back of my legs and they do hurt like a burn. Wow- wonder what's up with that?

Oluwa
05-31-2008, 08:41 AM
Pretti in Pink...

I dunno. I was thinking maybe our sensory nerves are off? Usually bruises feel sore inside, eh? Maybe our wires are short circuiting.

Enjoying your Saturday I hope. I have a skip in my step today, I found it yesterday dusty in the corner of my mind. I think it is the CoQ10. Something is giving me a rush in the morning or is it the Reglan or Lyrica...

Either or I am enjoying it...even with the back pain..

Happy Saturday...
Love,
Oluwa

Pretti in Pink
05-31-2008, 10:28 AM
Happy Saturday to you too- get in all you can while you can, but not too much.

mnjodette
05-31-2008, 12:53 PM
These bruises DO hurt like a cut sometimes....funny, I hadn't thought about that. Also, when my hands hurt - fingers mostly - they get black and blue in spots. The worse they hurt, the more 'bruised' they look. This 'bruising' goes away when the pain goes away. Weirder and weirder....

Oluwa, so happy to hear you have a little 'spring' in your step today! Isn't that nice? Small miracles....must appreciate every one of them, huh?

I'm sitting on my deck, watching three bird feeders (just feet away) with goldfinches, red finches, rose breasted grossbeaks, chickadees, nuthatches, and hummingbirds. Umbrella is up, hat is on, light long sleeves. It's a beautiful green world, after such a long, hard winter and a very cold early spring. Tomorrow may be very different, but I'll take today while I've got it!

Jody

Pretti in Pink
05-31-2008, 03:11 PM
My fingertips sometimes burn but they haven't ever bruised.

Wow, Jody your scenery sounds like a commercial. I hope you all that beautiful mother earth had to offer you today.

mnjodette
05-31-2008, 03:31 PM
PIP, I feel blessed by this home....we live on 10 acres in a very rural area. We have neighbors, but everyone has a minimum of 10 acres; some have as much as 80 acres. Our trees are wonderful - big maples, a huge stand of 200 year old cedar, white pines so big it takes 3 people to put their arms around them, spruce, birch....just wonderful. So, that's why we have a lot of birds. They like the cover of the trees and feel safe here. BUT...with gas at $4 a gallon, the drive is getting just a wee bit pricey! Yikes! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Jody

racinie
06-01-2008, 12:35 PM
I have the same problem. I get bruises all the time, mostly on my legs, and i'm pretty fair skinned.
Indiana in July is like 90 degrees, so I wear the shorts anyway.
I was thinking about trying mystic tan. (It's a UV-free spray you get in a salon.) Have any of you done something like that? I was thinking it might help cover my bruises a little as well as give me a nice tan for a few weeks.
It's a little expensive; What do you guys think?

sits_inthe_corner
06-01-2008, 02:36 PM
I dont bother with a tan, I've taken to wearing long flowing airy skirts. I dont mind flashing a bit of leg :D

But I dont bother trying to fight the paler pale look.

I'm aiming for alabaster :Dglow int the dark.

DrinkofWtr
06-02-2008, 07:01 AM
Dear Pretty in Pink:

I get bruises all the time and they take forever to go away. I have just chalked it up to the fact that I have Lupus. If anyone out there doesn't think it's from the Lupus, please input. I really don't know why Lupus
seems to be so bruise prone!

Pretti in Pink
06-03-2008, 04:02 AM
I never intentionally tan, but when I don't wear sunscreen I involuntarily tan :oops: But, I think for special occassions, I will try the bare minerals other than that I'm not going to worry about. I too am just going to chalk it up to just another adjustment that has to be made due to lupus and thank GOD it's nothing worse.

My bruises are still on my legs and I wore my dress yesterday. One of my co-workers was getting on me for something I said to her and she said she was going to draw on me with her blue pen and I said go ahead I already have these purple and blue bruises on my legs and she said well turn your leg over and let me add some more. I said okay, she drew a small blue line next to the bruise, we laughed and I went on about my day.

mnjodette
06-03-2008, 04:10 PM
Good for you PIP! Just go ahead and wear whatever you feel like....who cares if your legs are 'colorful', right? Glad you and your co-worker could have a laugh about it!

Jody

Razzleberry
06-03-2008, 05:49 PM
I had a pedicure today and the girl was commenting on my huge bruises ...she was solicitous tho ...toned down her massaging of the calves to a light touch so as not to hurt me. Very considerate I thought.

I'm not trying to hide them anymore ...too time consuming and a new ones appear with regularity anyway. It'd be hard to keep up.

I think it's more prednisone than the lupus per say ...but who knows for sure.

Pretti in Pink
06-04-2008, 04:17 PM
Yeah I agree, I believe it's better to be able to laugh at yourself before others laugh at you. There seems to be nothing I can do about it so I will have fun with it some kind of way.

Oluwa
06-05-2008, 08:44 AM
Ann Marie..

Thank you. After I read you post about Aveda Sun Source..I ordered it. Thank you for mentioning it...

I exfoliated with Neutrogena's Sensitive face scrub first...and for the ankles and feet I mixed the product with a bit of lotion so it wouldn't streak..in case. Looking like capri pants time. I have olive skin, but for some reason my calves turned milky chicken white. Cluck...

Other products I have gotten allergic reaction..one time I had a gazillion spots, tiny bumps..literally covering every pore. Itched...Maddening. Rinsed for a couple of days with my home remedy oatmeal wash...viola. Gone and so was the sunless tan, in the garbage.

Aveda.com has free shipping on $25.00 or more. I am an Internet shopper.

It was $16.50 so I tossed in some Shampoo and conditioner. The conditioner has dimethicone in it..ugh. I'll give it a lather and see if my scalp get irritated...

If not, they will take it back, shipping on them to return....

No itching here, thus far..thanks for the great find.

Keep well,
Oluwa