PDA

View Full Version : Road trip

sits_inthe_corner
05-23-2008, 04:43 AM
Just a quick note...I'm going on a road trip down to the south shore. Probably wont be back till sometime sunday. Have a good weekend all and stay safe.

Hugssss :multi:

Oluwa
05-23-2008, 05:17 AM
Enjoy yourself....be safe.

HUgs,
Oluwa

rob
05-23-2008, 05:40 AM
Have fun Susan. On Sunday I'll be out sailing near Bar Harbor and Egg Rock Lighthouse. It's only about 100 miles from Bar Harbor Maine to Yarmouth Nova Scotia. I'll look east, stand up really tall, and wave to you! If you squint really hard, you might see me. Have a good time, and enjoy yourself. You deserve it.

sits_inthe_corner
05-23-2008, 09:53 AM
I'll wear my bright red sunglasses :D and they are reflective so I'll send ya a coded message, hmmm supposed to be rainy and icky all weekend...

mnjodette
05-23-2008, 11:21 AM
Have a blast, SITC - ignore the rain and just relax anyway! (Sunny here - but cold! The Big Lake does it every time....

Rob, Bar Harbor....Egg Rock Lighthouse? Sounds just fantastic! I've never sailed. There are sailboat races every Wednesday evening in the harbor and my hubby and I love to go down to the shore (of Lake Superior) to watch. Hubby would love to learn to sail - maybe sailing lessons would be a good father's day gift, huh? Enjoy your day, Rob.

Jody

rob
05-23-2008, 02:05 PM
Hi Jody,

I had always wanted to learn about sailing, and ocean going boats in general. Turns out my father has always been interested in it too. After I moved back to Maine, that was all the reason we needed to get a boat, and take some courses that the Coast Guard gives for free. This will be our third year sailing, and our first year actually heading out into the open ocean. Our boat has a 30 foot hull, and diesel engine, so you can still get home if there's no favorable wind! The first time you shut down the engine, and hoist up th mainsail, it's really something. You are going really fast, yet it's so quiet. If you do a google search for Bar Harbor, you'll find some really good pics of the area. Bar Harbor is on Mount Desert Island, and it's also next Acadia National Park. There is a fellow I know that owns a schooner called the Margaret Todd, which is docked at Bar Harbor. It's a big one. 151 feet long, and 4 masts. They give 3 hour cruises on her, and you can help the crew put up the sails if you want. Certain times of year you can see blue whales only about 10 miles offshore. Take your hubby on a day trip sailing, you'll both enjoy it. And lessons, yeah, that's an awesome gift idea.

Rastagirl
05-23-2008, 02:41 PM
Hi All,

I've been out of touch for a bit....taking care of my Grandmother while my parents went on a fishing trip.

I just played catch up on all the posts to see how you all are doing.

SITC....I hope your weekend trip is very fun and relaxing. I'll pray for plenty of energy and good health. :D

Rob.....I'm sooooo envious! A sailboat of your own. What's her name? My husband and I used to sail a lot on the Columbia River when we were in our 20's. I miss it very much. We've talked about taking a vacation and renting a sailboat to sail the San Juans sometime. When I read your post, I can truly "hear" the passion for boats and sailing in your words. I know you've been having a rough time of it lately, so I hope you have an incredible day on Sunday. It's great you and your Dad can share your passion together. Here's to strong winds in your sails. :P

Best wishes to everyone for a enjoyable, long Memorial Day weekend!! :lol:

Fondly,

Lori

Pretti in Pink
05-23-2008, 05:00 PM
Man you guys sound like you are going to have a great weekend- I hope it is safe and fun filled. GOD know you guys deserve it, especially you Rob.

SITC, you know you will be missed but for a good reason, I hope you get some much deserved R and R too.

Saysusie
05-23-2008, 07:05 PM
SITC..have a wonderful trip and we'll leave the porch light on for you :lol:

Rob;
My husband and I have often talked about owning a sailboat. Alas, it never came to fruition and now, with my illness and his age (he is quite older than me), it doesn't look like it will ever happen. So, you must tell us about all of your trips on your sailboat; I want to live it vicariously through you :lol:
The sound of the wind, the smell of the ocean, the calming glide across the water. Anything that has anything to do with water will always entertain me!
I am so happy to hear that this is another venture that you and your father enjoy together :lol: Looking forward to your stories!

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

rob
05-24-2008, 05:15 AM
We all deserve some quality R&R, I hope we can all find some peace and relaxation this weekend. Lori, oddly enough, we decided to name the boat "Against the Wind". I got the idea from one of my favorite songs by Bob Seger. We got the boat used, and it's bad luck to go out in an un-named vessel, or even worse, one that you now own but haven't re-named. It was a fixer upper, and Dad and I had a blast with it even before we put it in the water. He's got some amazing mechnical abilities, and I'm handy with a paint gun, so we made a project out of it. Saysusie, my Dad and I are a rickety pair to say the least. He's 72 and just had knee surgery. If we get out on the water and I'm feeling bad, I go below and rest. If we're both hurting, the sail comes down, and the engine takes over. Maybe if you and your husband could take some lessons, or rent a boat from time to time. Lessons are an easy way to get the sailing experience without the hassle of your own boat. Anyway, everyone have a safe and fun weekend. We've all earned it.

Rastagirl
05-24-2008, 04:47 PM
Rob.....

"Against the Wind".........

I like it. Most appropriate for a sailing vessel. :)

Lori

Saysusie
05-24-2008, 09:04 PM
Rob;
I spoke to my Hubby about it tonight and he replied with a promising, "Hmmm...sailing lessons?? Hmmmmm" That usually means that he is going to give it some thought :lol:
I'm am so excited at just the thought of taking lessons. We have a Condo in San Diego, so I am going to google some places down there where we might be able to take lessons when we visit our Condo in July! I am sooo jazzed!
Rob, thank you so much for the suggestion. If we cannot own a sailboat, we still can, at least, get out on a sailboat!

Have a wonderful trip with your Dad! You deserve it!

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

NoodleMom
05-25-2008, 10:49 AM
Have FUN :BIG:

sits_inthe_corner
05-25-2008, 12:08 PM
Back...safe and sound.

It was over cast but mild which ment I wasn't getting cooked in the sun woohoo.

The place I stayed at had bunny rabbits running around all over the place and you could feed them. It was right down on the ocean front. Lots of rocks and waves. (and yes you got it...beach bunnies :lol:) but they weren't in bathing suites.

As much as I enjoyed the fresh are and the farmers markes and the antique stores it will be nice to sleep in my own bed tonight.

You know how I'm always going on about memory foam mattress....well I'm right...you all NEED to get one.

One night on a regular mattress and my back and knees are screeming at me.

Rob there was a special on tv today about MS sunshine and vietamin D. You already know to stay out of the sun, but are you taking Vietamin D? If not...do so nag nag nag nag hahahahaha nag.

Good to be back .... missed ya all.

Rasta how's your Grammy?

Missy
05-25-2008, 01:03 PM
Saysusie - I gave my husband sailing lessons for his 30th birthdya and he had the best time. He managed to take all the courses and now has his license to charter. He would highly recommend doing it! We bought a little used day-sailor "The Buttercup" which we just sold, as we moved away from our house on the lake and are looking at moving again this summer. We are in liquidation mode! Anyhow, who knows what our next sailing adventure will be? I hope you decide to do it!

SITC - good idea on the vitamin D, but I would add one thing. It's really important to get your Vit D levels tested before starting to take supplements. Vit D is a fat soluble vitamin (one of the few) and so can build up in your system and cause problems if you have too much. I just got tested because I live in the Pacific Northwest and most people up here are deficient, at least part of the year. Anyhow, I was low, and now am taking supplements. I'll have to get re-tested here shortly to see how it's working.

Missy
05-25-2008, 01:05 PM
P.S. Glad you had a nice time with the "beach bunnies", SITC! :lol:

sits_inthe_corner
05-25-2008, 02:19 PM
Good solid advice there Missy

Rob get your vitamin D levels checked and nag nag nag heehee.

mnjodette
05-25-2008, 04:21 PM
SITC, sounds like a nice holiday! Love the 'beach bunnies!' http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Animals/animals-30.gif

Thanks for the reminder about Vit D (and to you, too, Missy about getting tested.) I have meant to ask my doctor about that several times and keep forgetting. I see my primary doc in a couple of weeks - I'm making myself a note to ask. We don't get a lot of sun up in Northern Minnesota and what sun we do get, 'course, I don't sit in long enough to soak up the Vit D.

We had a visit from my husband's nephew (he lived with us for quite a while.) He was diagnosed with schizophrenia a long while back (manifested when he was living with us - a scary time.) He's now doing so well- has a very nice significant other; stays on his meds; is in school (perpetually a student, but he keeps plugging away.) He's on disability, but hopes to be able to support himself eventually. What a terrible road he had to travel to get to where he is, but it was sooo good to see him looking healthy, talking and laughing, and caring about other people. Made me thankful for our own kids, and our health (even mine!) So, that was a nice holiday weekend pick-me-up! Just had to share....

Jody

sits_inthe_corner
05-25-2008, 04:43 PM
Jody ...

That's great that your nephew got sorted out. Sounds like there is a lot of possitive things going on in his life. :)

rob
05-26-2008, 10:02 AM
Sounds like eveyone had a good weekend. Yes Susan, I take my vitamin D. We had the same weather you had, nasty on Saturday, nice on Sunday. I sent you a PM. For everyone else, my father, brother in law, and I had a great time sailing. Went about 1/3rd of the way to Nova Scotia. Saw some porpoises, and the usual harbor seals. The porpoises were swimming along side us, it was really cool to watch. This is the first time we've gone far enough out to where you can't see land anymore. That's a weird feeling at first. I was glad I took a refresher course on GPS navigation over the winter. Anyway, we didn't sink, get lost, or fall overboard, so it was a successful trip! I've got some pics I'll put up after I get them back from developing. I'm glad you got to relax Susan, you deserve it.

sits_inthe_corner
05-26-2008, 01:53 PM
Rob sounds like a wonderful trip...I'm very envious about the porpoises.

Looking forward to seeing your pics. :)

mnjodette
05-26-2008, 02:11 PM
Rob, I asked about your trip on another thread - sounds wonderful! Glad you had a good time, and made it back to port safely.

Jody

rob
05-26-2008, 06:50 PM
Thanks Jody!

It was a real confidence booster for me. We almost looked like we knew what we were doing! And the work Dad and I did on our "fixer upper" boat held up as well.

mnjodette
05-27-2008, 04:18 PM
Rob, with all of the adjustments you've had to make in your life recently, achieving your goal with Against the Wind is really pretty exciting...you should be very proud! (I also think it's very, very cool that you did all this with your Dad!)

Jody