PDA

View Full Version : do hot showers/shaving make malar rash flare up?

supertouch
05-22-2008, 05:04 PM
hello. i am a 24-year-old male.

for the last year or so i have noticed my cheeks and bridge of nose become very red after being in the sun for a short time and the same redness occurs after i take a hot shower or shave.

i haven't been diagnosed with lupus as i am weary of seeing doctors after being laughed out of one's office after inquiring about candida.

i also feel bad internally after being in the sun for a few seconds (if that makes sense). i don't know if that has anything do with lupus. also, i've experienced terrible neurapothy at times while trying to sleep.

do increased circulation/heat make the rash more red? when my face isnt inflamed like that it just looks pink. not really noticeable in most lights.

Oluwa
05-22-2008, 05:20 PM
Hey Supertouch...

I am a girl..no beard yet, but I am approaching the age, where you lose the hair you use to shave and begin to shave the hair you never would want...moustache..so they say.

But I do have the malar..I have SLE, SS..

It gets redder while in the sun.
It get redder from fluorescent lights.
It gets blood red while in a flair without pearls.
It gets red from a warmer shower, but fades back to its norm...pink...unless I am in a flair without my fur, than redder than redder.

I get queasy, dizzy, headaches and achy if I am out in the sun way too long, even if I am covered with clothes and sunscreen.

I get queasy, dizzy with headaches from fluorescent lights too.

Neuropathy? Actually no feeling at all or like the blood has been cut off?

Don't go back to the doctor who laughed you out of the room. Shame on him and his fragile ego...ask someone, a friend who can recommend a serious, compassionate one.

Don't wait too long. The sooner you get diagnosed or treated for your symptoms the better...

Keep looking for your wellness..
Oluwa

supertouch
05-22-2008, 05:24 PM
the neuroapthy is just severe tingling like the sensation you get when you're in the car and your foot falls asleep. it's only happened a few times but it keeps me up most of the night when it happens

Oluwa
05-22-2008, 06:20 PM
Hi Supertouch...

Would it be like this...follow the link...

http://www.neuropathy.org/site/PageServer?pagename=About_Symptoms

cheryl_v
05-22-2008, 07:50 PM
Wow, that was scarey. That sounds almost like me :shock: . I have dropped things because I forgot and didn't feel them in my hands. The legs and feet, those are the things I try to explain to doc but can't figure out how to describe. Is that how you feel too supertouch? I also wondered about internal effects from the sun, if their was such a thing.

rob
05-22-2008, 08:35 PM
Hey there Supertouch,

I'm a 40 year old guy. I was diagnosed with SLE in 2004, and with MS only about 6 weeks ago. I have very fair skin, basically white as can be and I have been sun and temperature sensitive all my life. But, I used to be able to take hot showers, and soak in a jacuzzi up until a few years ago. Now, it is literally too painful for water above about 85-90 degrees to touch my skin. I was one who would get a severe sunburn from an hour in the sun. Now, 10 to 15 minutes go by, and it hurts immediately. Shaving became so irritating that I grew a beard just so I didn't have to irritate so much skin by shaving. Even a decent electric Braun made my face raw and burned feeling. As far as neuropathy, I don't know what to tell you. I have had tingling, and sensations of my right foot, and right hand falling asleep, along with odd pain that feels like an electric shock. These symptoms, plus eye problems in the form of optic neuritis, led me to the diagnosis of MS. This does not mean that you have MS. It's obvious from your description of your symptoms, that there is something going on. You know you own body better than anyone, and if you think something is wrong, you should trust your instincts and seek and answer. Any Dr. who would laugh a person out of their office, should not be treating people. There is alot of confusion in the medical community about autoimmune diseases like Lupus. But, the fact that you are here asking questions shows a desire to know what's really happening with your own health, and that's a good thing. You are your own best advocate. If you are unhappy with your Dr/Rheumotologist, then take control, and find a second, or even a third opinion. I've had people in the health care community tell me that Lupus is only a woman's disease. I've had people tell me it's all in my head. Other people's ignorance can be frustrating to the extreme. Learn as much as you can, and take charge of your own health. I'm glad you found this site. I've found nothing but solid information, understanding, and friendship here. I've not seen a question, or comment go unanswered here, ever. Hang in there, and don't be afraid to talk.

Rob

supertouch
05-23-2008, 10:10 AM
the neuropathy i've experienced in the past lasts for a few hours i think, rendering me unable to sleep.

i'm just afraid it will become permanent at one point

Oluwa
05-23-2008, 10:38 AM
Supertouch,

Don't be afraid, find a doctor in your area before that happens.

They can do a EMG. What the procedure is, in brief, follow the link...

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003929.htm

Hugs,
Oluwa

DrinkofWtr
06-02-2008, 06:44 PM
I don't know anything about Malar Rash, but I feel bad that you were laughed out of a Drs. office for inquiring about Candida. I have that and it is a pain. Sometimes the people working in Drs. offices do not have good people skills. Isn't that true of many businesses? It seems like so many Drs. only care about the money! I believe the people who work in Drs. offices, and how they treat the patients, are a reflection of the Dr. himself.

sits_inthe_corner
06-02-2008, 07:02 PM
I'd go back to the same smart *ss that laughed at you and say Okay chuckles...you tell me what the heck is wrong with me and fix IT!

What an idiot....I'm so sorry you had to go through that. Grrrrrr

As Oluwa says, keep after it. Go to another doctor and get the answers you need.

Jennyfoo
06-04-2008, 04:55 PM
No official dx yet, but yes, hot showers make my rash come out. Anything that gets me hot or flushed makes my cheeks and nose very red.