PDA

View Full Version : I'm not meaning to seem rude

Numpty
05-22-2008, 01:51 PM
Hi Guys

Just thought I should post a note to say that I'm sorry I haven't been around much lately. I do check in but my life is a bit hectic at the moment with medication problems, work and my boyfriend due to visit from the USA next week :D

As a short update, the Plaquenil (sp?) seems to be working wonders for me, I haven't had to use my walking stick for a few weeks now.
Have been changed from Amytriptiline to Atenalol for a month to see if it sorts out my headaches without the other problems the Amytrip was causing so fingers crossed there.

I also spent Tuesday night in the hospital being fitted with my CPAP machine for my sleep apnoea.. not exactly the most comfortable experiance now but I'm sticking with it. Have the most horrible pressure sore on the bridge of my nose though after only two nights wearing the mask. Am going to try putting a bandaid on my nose tonight before putting the mask on and see if it helps!

So, once my boyfriend heads home and my vacation is over, and once I've had my annual appraisal at work I will be back in here in full swing. I do check in to see how every one is doing and reply randomly as I have time. I miss you all and think about you all daily! :)

Happy days and health to you all over the next two weeks while I'm missing.

Love
Claire
x

Pretti in Pink
05-22-2008, 01:55 PM
Glad to hear you're doing well and the plaquenil is working for you. Don't over do it, just enough to get that stellar appraisal.

sits_inthe_corner
05-22-2008, 02:48 PM
:B-fly: Hugssss Numpty

I'm so happy the plaquenil is working for you....hope you taking good care of youself. "Hectic" is not a good friend to us...so don't burn yourself out.

rob
05-22-2008, 07:52 PM
So good to hear from you Numpty! How's everything with you? Technical problems had the site down for a bit, so don't worry about thinking yourself as rude. It's good to have everything up and running, and it's good to see some familiar people finding their way back here. Hope all is well with you. We're thawing out here in Maine. Dipped my toe into the Penobscot River today, and it was only mildly bone chilling. About 50 degrees. A sure sign spring is here. How's the weather on your side of the pond?

Oluwa
05-23-2008, 05:29 AM
Hey Claire

Rude? We would never think that...if you are gone for over week we put an APB out on you....

Ouch, that must hurt...Did the band-aid work? I am so glad you finally got your mask

Maybe cut up one of those shoe inserts with the sticky side to fit the arch in the mask. Put the stick on mask side. That might work...and help with the wetness that might have come from a band-aid.

Or call the office where you received it from and ask if they have a remedy..

Head strap too tight?

Have you notice in those two days, feeling rested with the equipment or is the bridge pain keeping you up...?

I do hope you can find a day or two to relax and enjoy your vacation or you will need a vacation from the vacation.....

Celebration on losing the stick...that is absolutely great.

Enjoy your vacation, and remember relax...

Hugs,
Oluwa

cheryl_v
05-23-2008, 05:38 AM
So glad you haven't needed your cane, hope it stays that way for you. I hope your getting rest, and the mask quit giving you problems. Have a relaxing vacation.

karengervais
05-23-2008, 08:41 AM
Hi Claire,

I am very new to this board and read your post and I thought I would post a reply.
I had sleep apnea for 4 years, I just recently got retested after losing weight and my cpap machine is no more. However; I can tell you that over the 4 years I never had any problems with my mask as you are describing. I am positive that you have your straps pulled way to tight, try tightening up the ones on your forehead and loosening the ones around your nose. You may get up with lines on your face from the mask seal but should never have sore spots. As well they have alot of new masks on the market now and my last one was one that went in my nose. It worked very well, not near the amount of headgear as the other ones. If you can't get it adjusted so that it is comfortable, I would take the mask to where you purchased it and get their help with the straps.
Good luck, once you get everything working well, I am sure you will wake up feeling more refreshed.

Take care,
Karen

mnjodette
05-23-2008, 11:10 AM
Congratulations on losing the walking stick, Claire! So glad the plaquenil is working for you. Enjoy the visit with your boyfriend - I imagine you've been looking forward to that....but don't overdo...so easy when you want to make a visit memorable!

Jody

Suzique
05-23-2008, 05:20 PM
Claire, Gosh, I hope being away for a little while when you have other things going on is not rude - otherwise, a bunch of us would be rude!hahaha
You are great, and I love your stories - worth waiting for!
So glad Karen had some ideas for you about your mask. I hate to hear of someone getting a sore from their equipment. Hope you are able to resolve that.
Big congratulations on getting rid of the stick! I am still ever hopeful for myself - hearing of your victory and others is encouraging!
Take care of yourself, and we will look forward to hearing from you when you can get here.

Susan

Saysusie
05-23-2008, 06:59 PM
Hi Claire!
So good to hear from you! Being absent is no where near being rude! No worries there!
I am so happy to hear that you no longer need your cane and that the Plaquenil is working for you. I hope that you also find success with the Atenalol - I'm a bit confused however. I thought that Amitriptyline was an anti-depressant also used for pain and that Atenalol was a cardioselective drug used in the treatment of hypertension and chronic angina. I don't quite understand how the two overlap? Could you explain it to me, if you don't mind? I'm always wanting to learn about treatments and how they are used.
Whatever the case, I am hoping that it works for you and gives you relief from your headaches. I hope to see you around often, in the meantime, know that we are always here and that you are always welcome and never, ever rude!

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

mnjodette
05-23-2008, 08:58 PM
Saysusie, I've been on Atenolol for migraines for many years. It's a beta blocker, and used primarily for hypertension. My GP prescribed it for my migraines years ago, when nothing seemed to be working. I was really looking for a preventative - not a treatment. It worked! (I don't know exactly how it works to prevent them.)

A couple of years ago I quit taking it (no migraines for a long time); then started again about 6 or 8 months ago when they started up again. Now, my rheumy suggested I try to wean myself off because she's afraid it's contributing to my fatigue. She thinks my headaches are probably lupus related and not migraines (sure hurt, though!)

Jody

Saysusie
05-24-2008, 07:40 AM
Mnjodette;
That is very interesting. I knew that Beta Blockers were often helpful for migraines, I did not know that Atenalol was a beta blocker. Learn something every day. I use Maxalt for my severe migraines. Maxalt (Rizatriptan) is used for treatment of acute migraine headache with or without aura (flashing lights, wavy lines, dark spots) and is only for adults. Maxalt is a selective agonist of the serotonin receptor. It works by narrowing dilated blood vessels in the brain, relieving migraine headaches. Rizatriptan is in a class of medications called selective serotonin receptor agonists. Perhaps you can ask your doctor about these classes of medications if the Beta Blockers are no longer working for you.
It is unfortunate that Lupus headaches do not, normally, respond to treatments for non-Lupus headaches. While they feel like migraines, they do not respond to migraine treatment. If yours is a Lupus headache/migraine, the treatment is to treat the underlying condition (the Lupus) and this usually provides relief for the Lupus headache. You mentioned that the Beta Blocker worked for your headaches previously. Was this prior to your diagnosis of Lupus?
I hope that you find some relief for your headaches. I suffer from headaches often and my doctors thought that they were due to my Lupus. Now, they are saying that they are due to my Fibromyalgia or a combination of both :cry: At any rate, I know what you mean by the fact that, whatever they are, they are quite painful!

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie