PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Sclerosis/ Lupoid Sclerosis

mumma7
05-21-2008, 03:44 AM
Hi guys,

Haven't posted in a while as my life has been hectic! Been moving house, working, etc, etc, etc

Just wanted to ask a little question as I only got diagnosed end of last year and don't really know much yet.

Wondering if anyone here has lupus and ms as I am apparently still "possible ms." I have, however heard of a thing called lupoid sclerosis, has anyone here heard of/been diagnosed with this?? :?

Would love to hear from anyone who may know anything at all about this. I still have pathologically brisk reflexes on one side which is one indication that something else is going on. Help!! Anyone??

cheryl_v
05-21-2008, 06:34 AM
Lupoid Sclerosis is an old term meaning a patient with an overlapping condition of MS and lupus. Some people on this board do have MS and lupus. I'm sure they'll come along and be able to answer things for you. Hope your feeling good today :D .

Saysusie
05-21-2008, 10:37 AM
Hi Mumma7; It's been a while, I'm glad that you are doing ok and I'm glad to see you back. Cheryl_v has answered your question for you, and, as she said, there are several members here who do have MS and Lupus. Hopefully they will be along soon. In the meantime, you can click on "search" above and put "MS Lupus" in the search bar. That will bring up all of the posts that have those words in them. You can read about our members who suffer from both, read their advice, symptoms etc.
Hope it helps! If not, come back here and ask any question. We will do all that we can to provide answers for you.

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

rob
05-21-2008, 01:04 PM
Hello Mumma,

I was diagnosed with SLE in 2004, and then with MS a month and a half ago. My neurologist mentioned the term lupoid sclerosis, but the term I hear the most is overlapping illness. Cheryl is correct, it's just a different name that doesn't get used much anymore. Anyway, I couldn't believe it when I finally found out about the MS. How many incurable chronic diseases can a person have after all. It's still sinking in, but I guess I'm getting to it where I can accept it, and do what I need to do to stay as well as I can. I had an IV Methylprednisone treatment with oral pred to taper off, but it did nothing. Looks like the heavy dose long term pred is what I will have to do, and with that, comes the wonderful side effects.I have been having constant lupus flares for 4 years now, but I started to feel some really strange things going on. I have terrible pain behind my right eye, the eye is very pressure sensitive, and vision is dull. It's called optic neuritis. I also have burning/tingling and sharp pain like an electric shock in my right arm/hand, and my right leg. My foot on the right started to drag, and I started dropping things when using my right hand. I'll be holding my coffee cup, and it's like my hand forgot to keep a grip on it. It will just fall out without me noticing until it smashes on the floor. I have to consciously think about holding an item, but sometimes that doesn't work either. It was these central nervous system symptoms that led my regualr Dr to send me to a neurologist. I had an MRI, and there are lesions in the brain consistent with MS. I also had definite cns involvment consistent with MS for a very long period of time. This led to a rather quick diagnosis, after my Dr and I put the pieces of the puzzle together. I was lucky also in that when I was diagnosed with Lupus, my symptoms were very obvious, and the ANA and other various tests were very conclusive. I feel for many of my friends here. People who obviously have symptoms of some form of Lupus, but who cannot get a diagnosis. Stuck in limbo. The way I try to think about my situation, is the fact that I already had the shock of my life with the lupus diagnosis. I've already had to deal with a chronic illness. I've already experienced loss, fear, hurt. So adding another disease is not going to really change things for me. Of course, I have good days, and I have really bad days. I hope you can find some answers about you problems. If you ever want to talk, I'd be happy to listen. Hang in there.

sits_inthe_corner
05-21-2008, 02:49 PM
Welcome mumma7

Glad you found your way here :)

laurid8967
06-07-2008, 04:16 PM
Hello and welcome -
I am also new to the site and find it very comforting and supportive here. I have been sick for several years (long pretty interesting story), and I had docs going back and forth between MS and lupus for a long time. My last MRI was in 2005 and had several subcortical whitematter lesions in left and right frontal lobes. My neuro at the time said that these were not MS lesions, and that my symptoms were more of lupus/RA. He attributed the lack of sun sensitivity to not having MS as well. I think alot of people with autoimmune have alot of overlapping symptoms. Thats how it apperars at least. At this point, I am no longer on a mission to determine what each and every test means. I did thast for a LONG time, and all I did was drive myself crazy. But, regardless, I give you alot of credit Rob, for dealing with two of these diseases, I mean, one is QUITE enough. It sounds like you have a good attitude, though, and that is so inspiring to read. Well, just wanted to put my 2 cents in - Im feeling pretty good, so I feel like talking!! lol
Take care to all
Lauri