PDA

View Full Version : What happens if I relapse?

racinie
05-12-2008, 03:45 PM
I had my first bad flare since childhood last summer, and it was pretty extensive. I had nephritis, among other things. I was put on a 2g cellcept, 5mg prednisone, plaquinil, lisinopril regimen. Now I'm a little worried my lupus embers may be smoldering...
I was 100% lupus symptom free for 9 months, but now a few joints are aching, and it's eerily reminicent of the beginnings of when I first became ill.
I saw the rheumatologist, he did some labs, which were not indicative of active lupus. SOOOO that's good, but I'm still concerned something no good might be happening....
So, I was wondering if someone more experienced with the way this disease works could help me out and describe what happened to them during relapse.
Increase prednisone, additional therepies?
Was it worse the second time around? i certainly hope not!!!

sits_inthe_corner
05-12-2008, 06:22 PM
racinie

I'm fairly new to dealing with all of this. I'm not full diagnosed. I've had one possitive ANA test one boarderline ANA and two negative ANA.

My sister is full diagnosed, but she has been in remission for many years now, but it appears she may be starting up again. She's waiting on her results.

I'm sure someone will be along who has more experiance with this sort of thing. My uderstanding is that if you go back into a bad flare the doctor will adjust your meds perhaps even switch them.

I'm not sure what the next step is for me. The plaquenil isn't working, but my rhuemy doesn't believe in Lupus :roll:

I'm putting most of my faith in my family doctor at this point.

Have you made your doctor aware that you are showing symptoms again?

Hope you feel better soon. In the mean time be kind to yourself, get lots of rest and eat properly. The better you take care of your self the easier recoup you'll have.

Saysusie
05-13-2008, 10:01 AM
Unfortunately, relapse in Lupus is just as unpredictable as the disease itself. How and why we relapse is completely individual. Some of us may relapse due to sun exposure, some of us may relapse due to stress, some of us may relapse due to a viral infection, some of us may relapse due to medication, some of us relapse due to over exertion, some of us even relapse due to something that we've eaten.....I could go on, but you get my meaning.

How badly the relapse is also depends on a large number of variables. Our relapse may require the we up the dosage of one medication and/or decrease the dosage of another. Our relapse last year may not, in any way shape or form, resemble our relapse today. It is virtually impossible for us to give you any indication of what you can expect in your relapse because the cause is an unknown variable. That is why we are advised to avoid those things that could cause a relapse (like sun exposure, stressful situations, over exertion, staying away from sick people, etc.).

It is important that you do everything that you can to avoid a relapse/flare-up. Take note of what you've done, eaten, what environment you were in, what medications your were taken (and their dosage), etc. so that you can make an educated guess as to what may have brought on your flare-up.

I know this is a bit scary, but there is no clear cut delineation of this disease. It is, by its nature, unpredictable and it is a different venue in each one of us.

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie