PDA

View Full Version : Oluwa's Visit

Pretti in Pink
05-09-2008, 05:34 PM
Oluwa,

How was your brother's visit? I know you have some funny stories to tell. Oh yeah, what is a spice cake?

Oluwa
05-09-2008, 05:48 PM
Oh yes...the 50 pound cake, flour botch job. Dry like a week old cake, nothing that a bowl and a splash of milk couldn't moisten up..but wonderful flavor. I would make it (right) again. The flavor was a hit...

And how are you PIP?...

I said it was a Spice Cake but it was a Molasses Cake..and you asked for the recipe, eh? My father love this A&P Cake and I guess this is the recipe. I used cake rounds and made it into a regular layered birthday cake. Took about 30 minutes cook time..

I just used a Buttercream Recipe ..I found on the net. Not Cream Cheese the lady stressed who send this recipe..

I will write more later, about my visit. My favorite show is about to start in 10 minutes. Escape to Chimp Eden...on Animal Planet. I love Cozi...he is a split personality like how IT makes us....check it out. Taos and Zack. I smile all night when I watch that show...tata.

Love,
Oluwa

Molasses Cake

1 cup butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
3 eggs
1 cup molasses
1 cup raisins
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup water
2 teaspoons baking soda

In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar, beating with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add molasses and blend well.

Combine flour, allspice, ginger, cinnamon and and salt in a second bowl. Slowly add flour and spice mixture to butter and egg mixture, beating at low speed. Dissolve the baking soda in the water and add to batter while beating at low. Stir in the raisins.

Pour batter in to 2 greased and floured loaf pans. Bake at 350 for 35 to 45 minutes, or until a wooden pick or cake tester inserted in center comes out clean.

Once it's completely cooled, slice it in half horizontally (that would be parallel to the counter), then frost it with butter cream frosting.

Pretti in Pink
05-09-2008, 05:53 PM
Sounds good, I think I'll try it. Chat with you later.

mnjodette
05-09-2008, 06:30 PM
Oh, yummmmm. I just love spice cake (or molasses cake)...this looks like a great recipe. Thanks for sharing! I'll bake it and save you all a piece. :lol:

Jody

Oluwa
05-09-2008, 08:00 PM
Jaos and Cozi my favorite chimp..this was the season finale. I hope they do a repeat of the season....

The cake turned dry Jody because I added an extra cup of flour. I had a brain fart. Enjoy, it was nice...

L.,
Oluwa

Oluwa
05-09-2008, 08:03 PM
This was the frosting recipe I used...

Quick Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
Recipe courtesy Gale Gand which is not me...

3 cups confectioners' sugar
1 cup butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 to 2 tablespoons whipping cream

In a standing mixer fitted with a whisk, mix together sugar and butter. Mix on low speed until well blended and then increase speed to medium and beat for another 3 minutes.

Add vanilla and cream and continue to beat on medium speed for 1 minute more, adding more cream if needed for spreading consistency

mnjodette
05-10-2008, 02:40 PM
Oluwa, I remember making a layer cake that just didn't rise properly - I used an stale cupcake to hold up the top layer, frosted it, and when I cut it I cut slices off the edges and didn't cut into the center! No body knew - and it tasted good! :o

My granddaughter LOVES Escape to Chimp Eden!

Jody