PDA

View Full Version : Sun reactions???

cheryl_v
05-09-2008, 08:21 AM
I was wondering how long it takes to show a reaction of any kind from being in sun for several hours? I wore sun block 30/Sports. I know everyone's different and it can be skin and/or internal. Just trying to get an average rate it happens to see if its something I need to write in my journal or the way I feel has no relation to being in the sun. I don't know if its something that happens instantly, next day or a few days later. Thanks in advance :D .

mnjodette
05-09-2008, 08:31 AM
Cheryl, I'm not as sun sensitive as some out there. I have friends with lupus who react almost immediately - you can see them get red in the face (not sunburn) and they just seem to wilt. I don't react that immediately, but if I get too much sun, I can get tired, weak and my joints will hurt. It just makes my other symptoms flare. Doesn't always happen, but often.

"True" photosensitivity is a skin thing, and there's no missing that - sores, rashes, redness. That's the 'real-deal' and I think it happens pretty quickly when people who have that are exposed to sun.

rob
05-09-2008, 09:19 AM
Hi Cheryl,

I was extremely sun sensitive before I was diagnosed with SLE. Now I'm sensitive to the extreme. I have fair skin and blue eyes but my hair is black. I've read and heard that people with that combination are all very sun sensitive. If I get sun exposure at lunch time, I'll have a reaction by the time dinner comes. Usually about 2-3 hours. It's miserable. I keep SPF Bazillion with me always. And a boonie hat with a wide brim. I get nausea, and feel like my skin is on fire. I get a fever as well, usually 100. Feels like the worst flu I've ever had, plus the burning sensation. Not fun.

Oluwa
05-09-2008, 09:25 AM
Me? I wilt just like Jody wrote....My cheeks, not the hinder...the red brightens immediately, then I get scales spots. Much longer, I get nausea...

Even my PC, which is HD makes me red. Activates my Sjogren's eyes too...

Hugs...
OLuwa

Oluwa
05-09-2008, 09:26 AM
Me? I wilt just like Jody wrote....My cheeks, not the hinder...the red brightens immediately, then I get scales spots. Much longer, I get nausea...

Even my PC, which is HD makes me red. Activates my Sjogren's eyes too...

Hugs...
Oluwa

I see you Rob....I'll find you on another thread..

Razzleberry
05-09-2008, 10:52 AM
Interesting that you should mention the computer causing the redness. I've also noticed that after a short time on my computer I have the butterfly rash flaming across my face. I wonder if there is a shield of some sort to protect from that?

cheryl_v
05-09-2008, 10:52 AM
Thanks for the replys. I don't know if lupus is my culprit, just told that I have FMS. Never seem to really be bothered after a day in the sun.
Well, here goes: went to the beach on saturday from 10am-4pm. I wore the sunblock and reapplied a few times. Well I've never sun burned in my life before. At 34, I got my first sun burn. Only in a few spots on back though. It hurted a little and itched some. There was a few small white spots in the red area, don't know if that's normal. In all I felt fine,until I woke up tuesday morning. I was so exhausted, sore and stiff. My feet hurt so much and had couple light bruises that I had no idea how (2 on one arm and 1 on lower tummy). I'm still so fatigue, bad feet, sore neck and itchy skin all over. Face was a little reddend, not much. Wanted to know if possible sun, or did something else and need to find the real culprit. Possibly going again tomorrow to the beach, checking things out first.

Oluwa
05-09-2008, 11:19 AM
Cheryl...Medicines making you more sun sensitive, bruising...perhaps? I really don't know much about FMS..very minimal...

MrsMurdena...I wear sunscreen on my face neck and arms and wear my new prescription sunglasses when on the PC. I take breaks inbetween post, especially today...seeing, meeting with everyone again...

I also get joint pain, finger, wrist, not elbows,....shoulder, hips, ankles and feet from being at the PC...but not when I sit on the couch or chair, so I figure it must be the screen.

The back gets awful but that is a whole different thing. DDD. Degenerative Disk Disease...

L.'
Oluwa

SwirlyGirly
05-09-2008, 01:54 PM
Interesting... for me it isn't a constant. Last year I was not all that sun sensitive. I always wore my gazillion SPF sunblock whenever I went outdoors and wore a long sleeve white shirt over my clothes whenever in the car. I would only get my lupus spots if I was in the sun for more than an hour. This year I'm super sensitive. Yesterday I was sitting on my couch and reading. I didn't even notice that the sunlight had moved and was over my leg. Within 20 minutes I had a 102 fever, was all achy, and had a huge welt where the sunlight hit.

cheryl_v
05-09-2008, 01:57 PM
I don't take anything but bp meds now. FMS doesn't have sun sensitivity, so was wondering if it was a new symptom or if done something I need to be more aware of.

MrsMurdena, I was told there was a screen cover for comp. that was to help the eyes, maybe it'll help the skin too? Just a thought. :D

sits_inthe_corner
05-09-2008, 03:44 PM
I've always been sensative to sunlight. I learn along time ago that I would just never have a sun tan. It's physically impossible for me to tan.

Being covered in sun blisters isn't really a good look for me so I'll stick with pale N pastey hahahaha.

I usually break out in blisters on my face with in 15 minutes of direct sunlight.

Avoiding being in the sun has become second nature to me. I also become extreamly tired and sick to my stomach, only thing I can compair it to is a concusion with blisters.

I've also had a rash that comes up in the shape of a man's beard. HA now there's a look for ya. Hot and very very very very itchy.

cheryl_v
05-10-2008, 08:32 PM
Thanks everyone. I'll just have to keep a better eye out. Not sure what caused the sudden down fall.

This may sound silly, but here goes. Never having a sun burn before, I don't know what happens when the red burn goes away. I have dark brown patches with pale peach spots where the spots I burned are. Is that normal?

sits_inthe_corner
05-11-2008, 01:37 AM
Hey cheryl_v,

Doesn't sound terrible normal. Is the burn still fading? Is it smooth or bumby?

Give it a day or two, if it doesn't start to come around show it to your doctor. Do you have a camera? Take a picture of it in case you need to show your doctor a different stage.

I dont mean to alarm you. Truly it could be nothing. But we get so many rashes, better safe that sorry, if it looks like it's getting worse not better then get in to see you doctor asap.

cheryl_v
05-11-2008, 07:20 PM
Thanks SITC, thats a good idea. It'll also help to tell if it is fading, I can compare the photo to the patch. All have faded but the large one. I'm not sure if it has, that should help. It doesn't itch and stopped stinging many days ago. Its smooth, no raise. Hubby says (thinks I'm overreacting) that its just dead skin that should have pealed but probably didn't because I lotion daily. He's sure it'll fade away. Says the pale patches are probably where the skin blistered. It wasn't raised and stung no more than the red areas. I supposed he could be right, I just feel silly not personally knowing info on this. I will keep an eye on it though. One of my sisters had skin cancer a few years ago, removal went well. So just checking to see if this was normal.

Joint and muscle pain almost more than I can bare, so off to bed. Still not sure what I did, just a fms flare I suppose. Happy Mothers Day all, you're all great!!

cheryl_v
05-14-2008, 09:02 AM
The last dark patch is finally starting to fade. I was a little worried since it took around 10 days to. Going to the beach again saturday, will keep a close eye on the skin and plenty of sun block.

By the way, any way to relieve a painful neck cramp. Been a few days with no relief. Tried anti-flamitories and heat compress, nothing.

GBabyMomma
05-14-2008, 09:31 AM
Best way to relieve neck cramps for me is to see the chiropractor. I have a very dear friend who is a chiro in a nearby town and she will make housecalls when things are very bad.

If you can't do that, try to convince a loved one to apply minimal pressure. I know that pain from being massaged but someone who finds the correct amount of pressure can be a lifesaver!

Hope that helps!?

NoodleMom
05-14-2008, 09:35 AM
It seems for me as this is my first warm season since being diagnosed that with direct exposure I get and itchy rash that is scaly and itches to the point I will bleed and have red bumps that bleed. Indirect, I sat on my porch in the shade for 10 minutes and got what looked like sunburn on my face arms and chest. I was wearing a tank top.

I am having a bit of brain fog so my wording is a bit discombobulated.

K

GBabyMomma
05-14-2008, 09:45 AM
NoodleMom,

Did you not have troubles with sun sensitivity before you were diagnosed? I have just been diagnosed and with three (+ one on the way) little ones, I don't think that it will be easy to stay out of the sun.

I am having trouble getting all this figured out...

I completely understand the fog...I recently told my two-year old to go get a diaper, though she has been potty trained for several months!

Hang in there!

Faith
05-14-2008, 08:41 PM
Hi GBabyMomma,

Totally understand about the Lupus/Fibro fog. I actally put the jelly in the cabinet and the peanut butter in the fridge during an "episode." I was upset later; though now I can laugh about it. I think we all have those moments.

Take it easy,

Faith 8)