PDA

View Full Version : More things diagnosed...TMI....questions...venty

NoodleMom
04-13-2008, 12:51 AM
I have been having issues with my stomach and my bowels for quite sometime. I am nauseous most of the time. I have either constipation or diarrhea never a normal stool. They ultrasounded my gall baldder they did a hydascan...both normal. On friday I had a double scope. I have irritation in my esophagus and stomach.He stretched out the lower part of my esophagus. Intestine were clear well except for hemorrhoids. He said I have esophagealitis, gastritis, IBS and GERD The causes and or things that exacerbates are the 800mg 2X a day for anti-inflamatory pain, stress and smoking.

I will be starting a med for IBS(i think) and he is going to talk to my reg doc about something else for pain. I have to add more fiber to my diet to help my bowels work correctly. He put me on Zantec a week ago.

I have such a hard time eating. Most of the time I get nauseous immediately after eating and trying to poo is like pushing jello thru a very small hole (Way TMI Im sorry)

Stress....what is my life all about? My family. I cant work anymore. I had to quit my job. So now all that I have in my life is my family. Yes we have stress. Lots of issues. How am I supposed to reduce that stress. I dont see it lessoning any at all. In fact it is going to get worse due toi issues some my children have. We are moving soon. Oh yea I forgot to update on my HubbyMans job. He got a new job teaching in INdiana. So my family life causes stress, stress has caused my illnesses. I dont see a way to lesson the stress. I thought that I was handling it. Coping. But if I keep getting new things healthwise to deal with.....I just dont know. I dont see a way to get out from under this. I am scared. I feel screwed. What is next if I cant lesson the stress....death?

Kasey

sits_inthe_corner
04-13-2008, 01:15 AM
Hi ya Kasey

Today...right now ... you can go down to the pharmacy and buy a pack of Immodium.

You do not need a perscription for it. It's sold over the counter.

I was diagnosed with IBS in my early 30's. I was not given any medication. I was told to change my diet. (my doctor at the time was an idiot I now have a new doctor)

I was like you ... desperate for some help. One day I saw a commercial for Immodium and I thought what the heck I'll try it. :) It worked.

Yes you have to change your diet, more grains, more beans, more fibre. Less fat and grease. Get lean meats and low fat everything. Plus your heart will thank you too.

Yes you have to deal better with the stress in your life. Do some reading on stress management.

When I was really bad with the diahrea and stomack cramps and exhaustion I would take just one of those pills in the morning when I got up. I was such a mess that everday was a nightmare. As I started feeling more in control I would only take it if I ate and my stomack started to react badly...you know that oh oh this is not going to end well where's the bathroom feeling.

Even after that feeling started, taking a pill could head it off. I'm never with out those pills. I have a sheet of them in my purse, another sheet in my car and another in my desk at work and of course home here in the cabinet.

And the funny part. Now that I've changed my diet...I hardly ever have to take them. Plus I handle my stress better. That's not to say I dont get stressed out...I do ... just not as much :) or as often.

You can get controll of this...you are NOT going to suffer with this forever. There is help. This will NOT control you life.

mnjodette
04-13-2008, 10:09 AM
Hi, Kasey. I think you've gotten some good advice from SITC. I don't have IBS, but I have a dear friend who does, and she handles it very much like SITC advised, and she gets along pretty well most of the time. I hope this approach works for you.

Life is handing you a lot of stress right now....too much. Anything you can do to reduce that is so important. Take one small step each day - pick one thing you can work on; one thing you can control or make better. Even something small. A little victory or success will go a long way to helping you feel a bit better. Try to stay in the 'now' and not let yourself spend too much time in the 'what-if.' That can be crazy-making for you. (Easier said than done...I know. :roll: )

Hope you find some peace, Kasey. We're here for you when you need a place to vent!

Jody

Saysusie
04-13-2008, 10:42 AM
Hi Kasey;
I, like you, have IBS - My IBS is a symptoms of my Fibromyagia. The symptoms of IBS include nausea, constipation, diarrhea, acid reflux (GERD) and others. With IBS, it is imperative that you add fiber to your diet ( found mainly in fruits, vegetables, whole grains and legumes). I use "Benefiber" in my morning tea and cereal for my soluble fiber. I also take "Fibercon" tablets every evening and I drink water...ALL OF THE TIME!!
I eat lots of apples, nuts and fresh vegetables (mostly dark green vegetables) for my insoluble fiber.
One other important thing to do to help your IBS is to exercise regularly. Now, the thing about exercise is that it also helps to relieve stress and to lower your blood pressure. So, I say to you..please, please try to find an exercise program that you can do on a regular basis.
Now, back to the IBS..as Sits-in-the-Corner pointed out, it is also very important that you change your diet. One of the things that IBS does is to slow down your digestive system (hence, the constipation) so that you are unable to process easily digestive foods as well as you once were (like foods high in fat, proteins or carbohydrates). So, now you have to think about eating foods that are not processed by your body and that pass, unchanged, through your digestive system. That means, adding more fruits and fresh vegetables. Reducing your intake of red meats (try eliminating them entirely - if you can); eating whole grains and nuts.
When we talk about fiber, we have to remember that there are two types of fiber: soluble and insoluble.

Soluble Fiber: This type of fiber dissolves in water to form a gel-like material. It can help lower blood cholesterol and glucose levels. You can find generous quantities of soluble fiber in oats, peas, beans, apples, citrus fruits, carrots, barley and psyllium. There are products (like Benefiber) that dissolve easily and have no taste, that you can add to almost any food or drink.

Insoluble Fiber: This type of fiber promotes the movement of material through your digestive system and increases stool bulk, so it can be of benefit to those who struggle with constipation or irregular stools. Whole-wheat flour, wheat bran, nuts and many vegetables are good sources of insoluble fiber.

Now, there are times when we just have to take some form of laxative. Do it if you need, just try not to get dependent upon them. For those of us who suffer with IBS, that is often much easier said than done.
For diarrhea with IBS, it is suggested that we eat a healthy diet and try to avoid foods that can trigger diarrhea. These foods can be different for each person and they include:
Alcohol.
Artificial sweeteners.
Artificial fat (Olestra).
Carbonated beverages.
Coconut milk.
Coffee (even decaffeinated).
Dairy.
Egg yolks.
Fried Foods.
Oils.
Poultry skin and dark meat.
Red meat.
Shortening.
Solid Chocolate.

Remember, some of your medications can cause diarrhea, such as antibiotics, blood pressure medications, and antacids containing magnesium.
IBS is no fun and we have to be conscious of it every day, all day. Sometimes, going out to dinner can be a nightmare! But, like everything else, it can be managed. It is just that we have to manage it every day--rain or shine--in order to get some normalcy! I hope that you are able to do so.

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

hatlady
04-13-2008, 12:29 PM
Hugs dear -

Such good info above on the IBS.... the high fiber / lower fat diet is good for ALL of us.

The stress is hard - especially now that you'll be moving, all that goes with it. Do what you can to carve out 10 to 30 minutes EVERY day that is strictly YOUR time. Read a book. Sit in the corner and stare at the wall. Take a long hot bath (well, that's a good hour!) Sit in the garden and see how much it grows during that time. But a little time just to focus on breathing - deeply and calmly - and relax. It can recharge your whole day. It isn't being selfish, it is being healthy.

sits_inthe_corner
04-13-2008, 04:27 PM
Hugsss hatlady

How are you doing, I haven't seen ya post in a while...hope you're feeling good :)

sick n tired
04-13-2008, 04:52 PM
Hi Kasey,

I was wondering where you were. I am sorry to hear of all your troubles. I also have been having issues with my whole alimentary tract.

I hate to eat, also because of the nausia, vomiting and lower down issues. I wish that I could help you with that. As far as the stress....
One thing that I suggest is to take some time out that is Kasey's time. I have been trying to do that even if it is when the kids are in bed. A warm bubble bath with some soothing music is nice and relaxing.

I was glad to read saysusies suggestions for IBs...I need to add fiber, also.

I hope and pray that things ease up soon,

Karen

NoodleMom
04-13-2008, 07:34 PM
Thanks you guys. I didnt realize that I had been gone so long with out checking in. Sorry.
I didnt know all that about soluble and insoluble fiber. My HubbyMan had gotten me Fiber Choice which is a soluble fiber. He is going to get me something like that BeneFiber for the insoluble fiber, like Saysusie had suggested.

I did okay today until this evening I had some sherbet, Made me really nauseas. Hasnt done that before. So I dont know why. So anyway I then ate some Raisin Bran Crunch. My stomach is still nauseas. My nausea med is waiting for doctor approval. No more refills yk. I seem to blow thru that med so fast. I ate lots of raw carrots at dinner. Is a high fiber diet like a raw food diet? Seems so. We are going to by a whole grain bread for me. I used to make my own wheat bread. Cant manage that now. Maybe soon.

As far as the stress goes. I am definately going to have to carve out some part of the day for just me. I have a high needs mentally ill dd who is at home with me. Caring for her takes away a lot from me.

I think I will have to implement a quiet time.

Again thanks...will be back with my progress and more questions.

Kasey

sick n tired
04-13-2008, 08:04 PM
Kasey,

Is there anyway that you could get someone in during the day to help you? Maybe possibly just a few hours and only a few days...it could be a friend, perhaps.

That would help you have a little time...althought we love them children can be stressful, handfulls at times but a disabled one that adds to it exponentally...

Oh and yes Carrotts are fiber...I would have had nausia from the sherbert but that is because I would start with GERD and the burning.

Blessings,

Karen

dede96
04-13-2008, 08:23 PM
Kasey, Sorry to hear about your IBS problems. Being a sufferer of crohn's along with lupus I understand your agony. Hopefully the meds they put you on help, but unfortunately when you're flaring there is no quick fix no matter how hard you try. I find that when my bowels are going crazy, only a few bites at a time are best for me. It also helps to be on an anti nausea med (zofran) before you eat anything. It's very hard to recommend any food in particular. As for the stress, you are really having to handle so much. I know you feel that you have to handle it all, but you really need to take care of yourself too. Just always remember if you don't take care of yourself, you will be too sick to do anything for anybody. Good luck and take care. Dede

NoodleMom
04-13-2008, 10:09 PM
sick n tired,
thats what happened only backwards. Nauseas and then the acid burning in my throat, I think it was the first time I actually was able to see a direct effect and know what it was. Not that I want that to happen but at least now I know at sherbet is out.

HubbyMan comes home and spends late morning and into lunch with us. He is a big help. Then we have quiet time I cannot fall asleep unless she does but the again she could wake up and I wouldnt know and then she would be unsupervised.

Anyone know...Is a high fiber diet similar to a raw food diet?

sick n tired
04-13-2008, 10:31 PM
I know what you are saying, raw food...
salad items, veggies and fruit....but I think things like grains are high in fiber, also. Oatmeal, wheat,..

I think that the raw things will be a great start... :)

Karen

sits_inthe_corner
04-14-2008, 04:34 AM
NoodleMom

Right now your system is a mess. So it's hard to tell what's actually pushing you over the edge, food wise. So don't think you have to give up everything that taistes good :lol:

Get your self under control. Once your system has settled (and it will settle, you are not going to suffer with this day in and day out for every...you will always have IBS but it's very managable) you can then try reintroducing foods and figure out which ones you cant have at all, which ones you can have from time to time and which ones are perfectly fine.

When I first started with IBS I was so afraid to put anything in my mouth. I had days when even a drink of water would set me off.

Did you pick up some immodium?

Oluwa
04-14-2008, 07:05 AM
Kasey, hey!

Bingo, on the anti-inflammatory, smoking. I have GERD.

I have been going on and off Protonix for the last 2 1/2 months to see if I still have stomach pain and burning...I do..depends on the type of food. And my food still gets stuck.

I've been on Protonix for 18 months. I questioned my PP why it has been so long to heal, as it should take 6 weeks, and if not by then another 6 week treatment of Protonix. That is when I was tested through a blood sample and tested positive for H. Pylori.

Removing the H. Pylori from my stomach, I do not have the nausea, the belly bloated after consuming only a handful of food or eat a full dinner and still be hungry anymore. Also I do not have the diarrhea anymore.

My diarrhea, nausea and vomiting was so bad, I went to the ER. But was diagnose with something called food dumping. Lost 20 lbs plus. Wasn't that at all...the H.Pylori was the culprit.

Are you on any acid pump inhibitor? This shuts the acid valves in your stomach. I use Protonix. Whilst doing a double scope did he check to see if you have H. Pylori? It can cause Peptic Ulcers.

The 17th I have an appointment with a Gastro. Since resolving the H. Pylori, most of my system from GERD has taken a back seat.

My GERD caused my food to get stuck, so I have to chew and chew certain foods, chicken breasts...When I don't take Protonix, my esophagus burns and I have pain in my stomach when I eat certain things. Protonix is an excellent pump inhibitor I have food. As soon as I pop on in the morning..not a burn all day from anything....I rather not be on it, so I watch everything I eat except I indulge in a Hersheys Chocolate, plain...chocolate is a stomach burner... I suspect I have an ulcer. Will find out soon.

For me, pain pills causes constipation. If I hadn't use the bathroom for 5 days I seek help. I use Ex-Lax maximum strength. I want it done and over with. Since you mention pushing through a small opening...are the stools pencil thick? If so, the blockage could be in your rectum. Or was it just a feeling you were describing?

Raisin Crunch, sounds like a sugar sweetened cereal, is it? Anything with tose as an ending is sugar. Fructose causes diarrhea.

Having GERD and constipation presents a problem...because raw foods is very hard on the stomach, even bananas. For vegetable, roughage I would steam them lightly or cook. I prefer a slight firmness not a crunch, i.e, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower...Sometimes too much fiber cause diarrhea or a certain food as I mentioned above. Dairy is a biggie.

What I was told, certain foods that cause diarrhea can trickle through you bowels, pass all other digested foods and causes the fast need to use the bathroom.

Some people have fast digestive system, eat and go, eat and go like clock work. Same time each morning, they sit...Me, I am a slow mover...eat today sit in 3 days. My norm the doctor says. 72 hours should be the max for a meal to pass through...

Stress, moving, Are you hiring a moving company? If not, delegate your authority with your move. Are your children able to assist? Give them a box, write their name and contents and let them pack according to label. Moving is never easy...I know I did it many time, since being married, from selling our house, moving into townhomes...moving to two different states, and buying a house. I know what you are feeling. Even with movers I tried to control the move...eyes wide open, gasping. So I packed myself a couple of times..crazy too...

From my experience, no move will go smoothly, no matter how you try to control the packing, the watching...things will get damaged, things will get lost, nothing is on time...we just can't control it all. Just get good insurance on the goods if hiring a mover.

Just breathe and say it is only a move. We can't put so much emotion into material things. Invest in your health and do not stress. As they say crapolla happens..and it does. You have to find different ways to cope with situations that come up...be it as small as whats for dinner to moving. Anything can cause stress. Just how we view it.

Try a breathing exercise..inhale deeply through your nose and let out slowly through your nose and say I can do this or it will alright..anything or just humm out loud. Do that 10 times...and make sure you stretch every morning and before going to bed...I do a Buddhism's chant, mantra...and close my eyes, while I chant and breathe..

I would also suggest during this move to cut down on smoking, not quit until after you get settle into your new place. I use to smoke for eons. It has been almost 6 years since I had a cloud of smoke following me around..I know the stress of quitting can cause.

You can cope, you can decrease the stress by changing your outlook about it, your approach. Ask yourself is this worthy to be stressed about. Your answer will probably be no.

Find an outlet to decompress...a short walk, a long shower. I am just throwing ideas out there because I don't know how old your children are, who is moving you....

But sometimes we need me time...to take a break from family. Maybe you need to just do something for yourself, by yourself... massage...anything. Seems to me like you are forgetting about you...Hugs...it will get better when you find different coping skills....

To find the tools to cope, let us know how things are in the home and we can suggest ideas, or seek out a professional or purchase a book...

Life is too short to stress over #$@!it.

Head hugs..breathe Kasey...
Oluwa

luvwine2007
06-10-2008, 05:27 PM
I hope everyone's 'bowels' are doing better.....and Kacey, I hope you've found ways to relax. Moving stinks, I know!

I haven't checked this board in a while and once again I realize I am not alone in my symtoms. I was just diagnosed with IBS too. I think I've had it for a while, but it just recently got so bad I went to the dr for it. I woud cramp HORRIBLY after eating....and blow up like a balloon. I had diarrhea off and on then the stomach flu (I thought I was dying!) which I don't know if it was related or not....regardless, my digestive system was a mess. The dr gave me dicyclomine, which I could only take at night because it made me loopy and sleepy. But it helped. I already had aciphex for GERD, which also made me realize this problem was different from GERD since the pain was different.

And I truly believe the main cause was stress. I HATED my job. Then I was laid off due to cutbacks....and I feel MUCH better!! I'm sure not many folks feel better after a layoff, but since the job was causing me so much stress, I realize it just wasn't worth it!

Thanks for all the pointers here...I've been trying to add more fiber to my diet, but I just can't cut back on the chocolate, even though it gives me heartburn! I love it too much! And girls need chocolate....it relieves stress :) :)

Hope everyone is having a good day!

laurid8967
06-10-2008, 06:57 PM
Oh my gosh, Kasey -
So sorry to hear of your situation. It appears you have gotten some expert advice here - some would pay alot of money for those suggestions. I was a social worker, Kasey, and I worked with families of children with special needs. Also, I am the only one of my friends that doesnt have a child with special needs. I dont know where you live, but, maybe you could look into some respite for your daughter? It is paid for by the state (I live in Mass., and even WE have money put aside for it), and its really a matter of knowing where to look. Here in Mass it is the DMR (Dept Mental Retardation) or DMH (Department Mental Health). Im not sure which disability your daughter suffers from, but there are many resources out there for parents like you, who are trying to make it - but just simply are overwhelmed. There are no rule books out there for us parents, but certainly NOT for parents of special needs children. If you want to PM me, I can maybe tell you some sources of resources where you are located. As a matter of fact, my dearest friend Joan has a son with autism. He has been doing really well so far, but has come up on puberty and is really regressing (self-injurious behaviour,etc). Currently, docs are at a loss, becasue it is most likely a symptom of puberty mainfested differently in an autistic brain. In any case, her life has been utter hell for the past few months. Trips back an forth to the ER, inablility to send him to school, etcl and she also has 2 daughters and her elderly Mom lives with her. Well, she needed help - called the DMR (who in the past had given her $200 year for respite care). Well, they are looking into a grant for $30,000 for her, to help him, the ohter children AND her. I really dont know if this is something youd be interested in, but feel free to contact me here or by PM, and I can look into it for you.
You really are dealing with some major situations, and like the others said - It is imperative that you keep yourself well - both physically and emotionally (tied together!)
I hope you find relief from your stomach problems as well. I never had any trouble like that until I was put on pain meds. I would go days without going to the bathroom - but I didnt care...because I was on pain meds!! lol - I no longer take any narcotic pain medication, its just not for me, but something to think about if you are constipated.
I truly wish you well, and know my prayers are with you and yours tonight.
lauri