PDA

View Full Version : Help, I have Class Three Nephritis!

Redhead
04-11-2008, 02:44 PM
I just got the biopsy results. I see my doctor Monday.

So seriously ...

I have three small children. Should I assume I won't live to see them into adulthood?

How likely is it that I'll need dialysis soon, and how horrible is that?

Is there any real reason to have any hope? At least if I had cancer there would be some existing chance of a cure.

Thanks

Oluwa
04-11-2008, 02:56 PM
Hi Redhead..Hugs...

I don't have any answers for you. I have no kidney involvement. I am assuming each case and each person is different. Worry not about what may come to be, or not...enjoy this weekend as much as you can. Monday will come soon enough..

And yes, you do have hope. You have three small children. That is what you have to hope for...seriously. Let your hope and faith guide you through...

In my prayers you will be,
Oluwa

mnjodette
04-11-2008, 04:26 PM
Others here have more info on lupus nephritis than I do. But I DO know people who have been living with lupus nephritis successfully for years and years. You can do an internet search on lupus nephritis and check out some reliable websites like the Mayo Clinic or Lupus Foundation of America. They have good info on the disease, diagnosis, symptoms, treatment, that sort of thing. I'm glad you found us. I know someone will pop on here soon who can share more with you. Hug your kids and take hope!

Jody

sits_inthe_corner
04-11-2008, 04:38 PM
Welcome Redhead

There's always reason to have hope. I'm not fully diagnosed yet. So I dont have much information to share with you.

My mother had lupus but was undiagnosed. She passed away just before her 65th birthday. She was receiving NO treatment what so ever.

I would think that she could have lived a better and a longer life than she did if she had been receiving treatment.

She raised four children, worked part time and enjoyed life. So yes...there's hope.

I know it's scarey and it's a kick in the teeth. pluse you start reading up and it can be very overwhelming.

Every person is different. Nothing with lupus is written in stone. Your experiance with lupus can be very different from mine.

You just need to relearn how to take care of yourself. Hang on, there are some very knowlageable people on this board and I'm sure someone will come along who can answer your questions.

Saysusie
04-11-2008, 10:53 PM
Class III (and even Class IV) lupus nephritis has been successfully treated with Prednisone alone and patients have gone into remission after treatment, so it is a bit premature to feel that there is no hope with Class III nephritis (be it proliferative or diffuse) and some patients have had no recurrence of nephritis during follow-up periods of 30-40 years!!!

The initial treatment of Class III and IV, focal and diffuse proliferative nephritis, is usually with prednisone, 1 mg/kg per day or equivalent, for from four to twelve weeks. If you show significant response with reduction in proteinuria, leukocyturia, hematuria, anti-DNA levels and resolution of hypocomplementemia, the amount of steroids are tapered at one to two week intervals by initially 10 and then 5 mg increments. When your renal disease becomes stable, you will then be monitored for any recurrence of active lupus renal disease. Should you relapse, your doctors will again treat you with additional courses of prednisone. If you do not show significant response with the prednisone, your doctors may consider using cyclophosphamide. Sometimes, with Class III and Class IV, doctors will initiate treatment with cyclophosphamide and Prednisone simultaneously, especially if your biopsy shows an elevated level of chronicity. Cyclophosphamide is administered at a dose of between .5 and 1 gram per m2 of body surface monthly for six months. Each subsequent dose is gradually adjusted upward or downward by 10-25% to achieve a nadir (low point) white blood cell count at 10-14 days of approximately 3,500 per cubic millimeter.

As I said earlier, using prednisone and/or cyclophosphamide and led to remission of proliferative nephritis

It is also notable that the effectiveness of cyclophosphamide is best when used in patients previously treated for their renal disease with Prednisone.

Prednisone and cyclophosphamide therapy for proliferative lupus nephritis is usually effective in between 60 and 90% of patients. However, there will be patients who will prove unresponsive or relapsing and will present withr hypertension and active urinary sediment. These patients will require intensive treatment with monthly dosing of cyclophosphamide, the addition of higher doses of glucocorticoids which can consist of either 1 mg/kg per day of prednisone or equivalent, or pulses of methylprednisolone such as 1 gram per day for from one to three days. The combination of methylprednisolone and cyclophosphamide on a monthly basis in these patients has proven to be very effective.

Alternative approaches to patients with proliferative nephritis would include initial therapy with prednisone plus azathioprine, prednisone followed by azathioprine, or prednisone plus cyclophosphamide during the six month induction followed by maintenance with azathioprine.

In any scenario, it appears that no matter the seriousness of Lupus Nephritis, treatment has proven to be successful and many patients do not relapse. Do not lose faith, assist your doctors in treating your class III nephritis vigorously so that you can attempt to be one of those who achieves remission and remains that way for 30-40 years!!!

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

sick n tired
04-13-2008, 06:27 PM
Hi Redhead,

Hugs to you....I am so sorry that you have to go through this, but now that the doc knows he will be putting you on meds to stop the damage.

As usual, Saysusie is a wealth of knowledge....That is so in depth that there is nothing to add.

I have you on my prayer list,

Karen

cheryl_v
04-13-2008, 07:35 PM
God bless you, I'm sure this has been emotionally stressful. How much time does any one person have in life, ill or not? We never know how long God has planned for any of us, always keep faith that we will be blessed with a long life. I try to live my days to the fullest, have fun with my kids and just enjoy myself as best I can. Ever since my sister, 2 nephews and brother-in-law died abruptly together almost a year ago, I try not to worry if I live to see my kids become adults. I live off my faith and hope in God. I learned the hard way to just enjoy every day I have with family and friends, and hope to be blessed with a long life. Have faith and determination to live for yourself and your family. Welcome, everyone here is awsome!!

sick n tired
04-13-2008, 07:53 PM
Oh my Goodness Cheryl,

I am sooooOooo sorry for your loss. The suddeness can be devastating. I can see how that has been a defining moment for your faith...

May the Lord bless you and your loved ones, Cheryl.....

In Him,

Karen

cheryl_v
04-13-2008, 08:04 PM
Thanks Karen, 25th of this month marks the first year. Funny, for me it only strengthen my faith and cleared my head of worries. It did teach me to just live today, and try not to worry so much about the upcoming days and years.
I have no info for you that may help you out Redhead, just wanted to share my faith and strength with you in case you needed it.

sick n tired
04-13-2008, 08:08 PM
I will be praying for you and your family as the anniversary comes around, cheryl. :)

cheryl_v
04-13-2008, 08:16 PM
As well as I will pray for you Karen for being so sweet :D .