PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else been given a walking stick?

ruthie213
04-11-2008, 10:05 AM
Heya I got given a lovely walking stick today to see if that will help increase my mobility? does anyone else use one here or any other type of mobility aid? Im starting to get really down in the dumps about having lupus, the reality of it all is really starting to set in!

Oluwa
04-11-2008, 05:21 PM
Ruthie,

A few people have mentioned using a watching stick. Anything is welcomed to make our lives a bit easier...

Are you feeling funny using one? If so, don't...

Reading and learning about the disease can be so overwhelming, scary. I I've been there a many of times..and I am sure I will stumble into few more reality checks..

I know, reality hits us hard, then we gather ourselves up from the floor...take control. Eat better, adapt, change, do all the things that keep it at bay. Avoid the sun..exercise. Thinking all is swell, then we get a headache, stub our toe then we may go into a tail spin, reality...IT (my word for Lupus), I really have IT...

Then we make our way, back to prevention, accepting...each time after each fall it gets easier to pick ourselves up...

And to make it easier. I come here and unload, get lift me ups..give lift me ups...everyone is great.

Being alone in the disease hurts. I was there till I stumbled in here. My saving grace. I hope it can be a place where you find comfort, find joy..share and teach us too and learn from us.

Hugs,
Oluwa

sits_inthe_corner
04-11-2008, 05:42 PM
Hi ya ruthie,

I've started a collection of walking sticks. And yes it helps...as a matter of fact....they helped so much that I dont need to use them all the time. I think it's a combinations of everthing I've been doing over the past year that has brought back most of my mobility and I hope it continues.

You are just getting sorted out so be patient with yourself. :)

Walking aids combined with medications and physio can get your giddy up back in the running.

Have you been shown how to properly use a cane? Hold it in the opposite hand to the side that is hurting. If your left leg bothers you ... hold it in your right hand. It's best if someone can show you. The pharmasist should have a clue about canes, after all they sell them. Hahahha

Next...if it's your knee joint or ankle joint...Tensor wrap around braces. Soft sided preferabley. Ones that are ribbed or hindged usually cause pain not ease it. So soft sided velcro wrap around braces.

You will NOT believe how much these help....I love them and have several. I can only stand to wear it for a couple of hours at a time and then I have to get it off. But I always look forward to putting in on again.

Alternate icing and heating your joints. 10 minutes for ice no more. Several times a day.

Back to the canes :D I started going to antique stores and I found a sweet elegant cane. It's my favorit for those special occations :lol:

And i have one that belonged to my mother. A good solid one. Plus a very modern silver look cane.

I'm not bothered one bit by using it when i need to. And trust me ... I dont get treated any differently because of it. Rude people are still rude :lol:

And polite people are still polite. There's no difference. I hope some of this helps.

Oh by the way...save your self some money, if they tell ya to go get fitted for compression socks...dont ... they aren't worth it.

If you have swelling in your lower leg from the knee down...wear the adjustable brace and buy some diabetic compression socks. Much cheaper and just as affective.

Spring is here so this is the season when I refuse to wear socks or shoes for that matter.

I like my pretty sandals (they are flat but pretty) So I'll wear the compression socks at home but when I'm out! I'm bare foot :D It's bad I know but :P a girl's got to live.

sick n tired
04-12-2008, 11:20 PM
Hi Ruthie,

I was given one last summer when I broke my foot....and now the doc wants me to go on one again because the pain in my hip is unreal...I am not sure if it is the lupus or fibromyalgia and at this moment I don't care..

I am not embarassed to use it, though....its like...oh well,...what's next. :)

sits_inthe_corner
04-13-2008, 12:42 AM
Ruthie

The other thing to remember is this walking stick may not be a perment thing. I used one for the better part of the year. I hardly ever need it now. Before I could not walk normally with out it and I was in alot of pain. But now I have the pain :) but I walk normally.

There's just the odd time that it's just too much and I need the cane.

DebbieE
04-13-2008, 11:10 AM
Hello Ruthie!

I use one also, though I'm on the look out for a more femmine one. The one I use is one of my late father's that was given to him as a gag gift when he turned 50. I don't like the look of the ones you find in pharmacies or medical supply stores, metal with the 4 feet on them. If I have to use one, which I do most days, I want to look like I'm eccentric, not like I'm "disabled". And yes it does help with my mobility a great deal.

sick n tired
04-13-2008, 01:14 PM
Yeah Ruthie,

Like Sitc said...you might have to use the cane all the time. I have been on and off one as my above post said. I just mean that you should not think that this is the norm for the rest of your life if you are like many of us.....I think of it like crutches for a broken leg...just a season. :)

Karen

sits_inthe_corner
04-13-2008, 03:58 PM
DebbieE

Road trip! Hit the antique stores and look at their canes :) That's where I found my lady like one. I love it. I know a lady who paints her cane up and she even puts sparkles on it :lol:

I dont think I'ld go that far but I do like my little fancy one. It's functional too, I can weight bare on it.

sick n tired
04-13-2008, 04:04 PM
What a great idea, Sitc....I have a boring one and would like something better...a ladylike one....

Debbie, We might start a fashion trend and then everyone will want to use a cane especially if we can find a ladylike one like Sitc. :lol:

NoodleMom
05-13-2008, 12:00 PM
Yes I have a walking stick. My HubbyMan bought it for me. It doesnt have the regular handle on it but a ball. It like it alot .Having the ball is easier for me as I can not grip very well. It gives me a lot of stability and independence.

Welcome to the club!

K

SwirlyGirly
05-13-2008, 09:58 PM
I decorated my cane when I was in high school. My first one was all done out in school colors (kelly green and black) I thought I was so cool! The second one I got I painted silver with rhinestones. I even decorated my wrist braces with Sharpie Markers. I definitely went the unique, eccentric route. The one I use now a friend gave me from a Native American Pow Wow (a festival). It is gorgeous wood.

sits_inthe_corner
05-14-2008, 02:30 PM
SwirlyGirly

Sounds top drawer girly...nice cane babe LOL.

Numpty
05-15-2008, 01:38 PM
I found mine online, its pink and has little flowers all over it. What I didn't realise is that its not only pink, but its PINK!!!! ~lol~ But at least the colour of my stick detracts from the usual bright shade of my face so I'm happy for people to look at said stick instead!

Hope you find one that suits you and good luck with the hunt!

Claire
x