PDA

View Full Version : hello newbie here

michelle40
04-11-2008, 08:45 AM
hi all...ive just joined today as my doc has said he suspects i have lupus and sent me for all the tests as im showing many symptoms.
i am already living with hashimotos thyroiditis and ive been getting symptoms even though i am supposidly stable at the moment,
i have aching all the time in joints and muscles..muscles feel heavy..pains in my hands...i have a rash that is below my stomach that comes and goes...its gets really itchy and raises like lots of gnat bites..i rip it to pieces..cold fingers all the time...tiredness and depression plus a constant dry mouth...cant quench my thirst..among other things.....has any 1 else had any of these symptoms.....thanku...michelle

Oluwa
04-11-2008, 10:13 AM
Hi Michelle,

Welcome to the forum...

I have all your symptoms. I was diagnosed with Lupus for two years, now it seems it is in remission or something and Fibromyalgia has possibly step in.

I also have Sjogrens Syndrome..drying from the inside out. Dry gritty eyes, dry mouth...Maybe that is a diagnose for them to look at. Or could it be from any medicines you are taking?

Again welcome to our place in cyberspace. So many people, who have lots to give. Understanding, comfort and a wealth of info...seek it out.

And, hey, keep those nails clipped...
HUgs,
Oluwa

Saysusie
04-11-2008, 10:33 AM
Hi Michelle;
Welcome to our family. Many members here suffer from the same symptoms as you mentioned (as Oluwa pointed out). I agree with her, perhaps you can mention Sjogren's to your doctor to see if that might be the cause of your dry mouth etc. Also, since you mentioned that you cannot quench your thirst, have you had your blood sugar tested lately? You might want to consider that aslo.
The cold fingers etc. could possibly be Raynaud's Syndrome (I also have this, as do many other Lupus patients). Raynaud's is an auto-immune syndrome also and is a disorder that affects the blood vessels in the fingers, toes, ears, and nose. This disorder is characterised by episodic attacks, called vasospastic attacks, that cause the blood vessels in the fingers and toes to constrict. Raynaud's is usually triggered by exposure to cold or emotional stress. In general, attacks affect the fingers or toes but may affect the nose, lips, or ear lobes. These areas can turn white, blue and red - sometimes in that order, they will feel very cold and slow to warm.
Perhaps you can mention these syndromes to your doctor to see if they are the cause of those symptoms. :)

I wish you the very best
Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

michelle40
04-11-2008, 10:34 AM
hi oluwa.....yes hun...im being tested for sjgrens and a few others...heads muzzy today...so just resting up...my skin on my face feels warm and tight...across the cheeks and nose....just feel generally run down

Oluwa
04-11-2008, 12:52 PM
Michelle...

Dab a bit of lotion on your cheeks. The less ingredients the better. Not Vaseline, too think to absorb, large molecules. How about a thin layer of Keri. Don't use steroid cream...thins and drys the skin. Unless prescribed by a doctor..

If you are feeling dry inside, make a bit of boil chicken broth with fresh chicken. Chicken soup does wonders. Moistens the lungs, and sinuses too.

I toss in a whole cleaned bird, salt and stalks of celery and let is simmer for about two hours. I use a couple quarts of water, so I can sip on it for a couple of days.

Humidifier too is a suggestion. Or simmer a pot of water on the stove...to get moisture in the air. Being cold weather, heat sucks the moisture out of the air and your body too.

Can you have quiet time where you are, in the home..Just bring all your goodies, books, remote, snacks, chicken broth to your bed side to get rest, then you may fall asleep. Sleep is important. How has your sleep been? Lack of it, wreaks havoc on us...Many of your symptoms are similar to those of Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, eh?

Are you being treated for depression? Pain, lack of sleep can create a depression state. Or is it just a blah feeling?

How long has it lasted? With a blah feeling there is many things one can do , to pull themselves out of it...new do, new clothes, a bubble bath...a weekend vacation..visit from a friend..food, oh, how food works.

From me I can give you a head hug...just envision and feel your head being hugged like you would a child. I love mine hugged.

Sometimes simple things are better that big package, wrapped things...can you find those.

What current medication are you using for Hashimoto's Thyroiditis?

Keep looking for your wellness. Hugs,
Oluwa

Pearl
04-11-2008, 03:54 PM
Welcome to the forum. Dry gritty sandpaper eyes....that water incessantly, no less. So much that your face becomes raw from the excessive watering. Looks like you've been crying for days. Yep, I get it. Even without the Sjogren's antibodies....yet. There are some fantastic eye lubricating products out there which really help. Ask you doc about getting some the next time you go. I put in drops about 4-5 times per day. Really helps. Even if you aren't diagnosed with Sjogren's, it is not uncommon to have overlapping symptoms. For me, it's like waking up in a whole new world every day. The good news is, when I wake up in a world that isn't too pleasant on any given day, I can come here to the forum and participate. Without fail, someone is always having a good day when I am not. So, I read their positive posts, filled with love, laughter, comfort and concern for others. Suddenly, my "not-so-good" days turn into better ones.

I hope you find the same comfort here.

Jana

mnjodette
04-11-2008, 04:57 PM
Hi, Michelle. Glad you found us! This is a GOOD place to learn. Sounds like you have some pretty classic symptoms of autoimmune disease. But which one is the question! Many of these diseases have similar symptoms, and lots of us (most of us?) have more than one disease. I'm being treated for lupus, Sjogrens, Fibromyalgia, and something called CREST syndrome (sort of a grab bag of autoimmune symptoms.) I was diagnosed less than 2 years ago, but when looking at my medical history, it's clear I've had this 'brewing' for a long, long time.

I know you'll find lots of caring people here. Stop in when you need a place to share your story, get some advice, or just to know that someone else understands. We've all been where you are....and you're more than welcome here.

sits_inthe_corner
04-11-2008, 05:15 PM
hellooOOo Michelle

Every one summed it up...so I'll just add my welcome :) Nice to meet you, where ya from?

Nova Scotia here. Yep I'm a dry achey itchy sore tired lumpy mess :)

8) but I have gorgous elbos

michelle40
04-12-2008, 05:14 AM
thanku so much for all yr kind words and the wecome ive had....im so sorry for all yr illnesses..but its so nice and reassuring to know that im not alone and there are others who know exactly how im feeling...i have a loving partner who supports me...but its hard to try and make him understand how ill i feel inside...this forum is a blessing...i have had hashimotos for 14 yrs...over the past 2 years i have been very poorly...my doc is now testing me for lupus...sojgrens...and crest syndrome...as i have symptoms of all 3...i woke up this morning after sleeping all night with pains in my hands and knees...dry mouth that feels like i have just come round from an aneasthetic...thats most of the time..muzzy head...cold finger tips...im on 125 microgramms of thyroxine a day and my thyroid is stable....so other things have now kicked in or thats how it seems...as many of you have stated...auto immune diseases come hand in hand with each other...so i couls have 3 or 4...its going through the tests to find out just which 1s though...i feel like a tired worn out guinea pig at mo......bless you all for taking the time to reassure me...thanku...michelle

sits_inthe_corner
04-12-2008, 06:01 AM
hi michelle

Are you active? It's important to keep moving. You talk about your fingertips being cold. Well just about every tip I have is usually cold; Fingers, toes, nose...

Non impact exercise such as swimming, Tai chi, stationary bike are good for moving your joints with out damanging them and also good for your circulation.

Alot of my joints are affected, from my feet up to my jaw. I find I feel worse if I dont get my exercises in...and trust me ... I NEVER used work out. I also use 5 pound free hand weights to strengthen my upper body.

sick n tired
04-13-2008, 12:09 AM
Hi Michelle,

Just wanted to add my "voice" of welcome to you.....

I was diagnosed last Sept, but I have been ill for a long time....I hope that you can find some answers and it won't take a long time to diagnose.

Blessings,

Karen

Oluwa
05-21-2008, 06:35 PM
Hi Michelle...

Did you get lost in the shuffle when the site went down? We're back up. I hope you are getting an email saying someone is replying to your thread.

Gosh it has been over a month...

How did your tests come out? I hope you are not feeling so poorly when you were last here...and you have been able to find a bit of relief.

I just wanted to let you know we're thinking of you....

Hugs,
OLuwa