PDA

View Full Version : New Person with a Question: Help with Cold/Flu!

DioBelloAmore
04-10-2008, 12:49 AM
Hey! My name is Christine. I am 24. I was diagnosed with Lupus January of 07.

Something that I have been struggling with the most since being diagnosed is my primary family doctor when I get sick.

When I get sick with a cold/flu type thing... nothing works for me and I have it for a good two weeks to 2 months. It usually really knocks me out.

I know when I get sick, I am going back to the doctor at least 3 to 4 times. They are putting me on antibiotics (which literally do nothing), tell me to stay on over the counter stuff (which again do nothing). Once, after a long stint of this, they put me on a steroid pack, which helped. But the second time it didn't.

Does anyone have any suggestions/ideas/things that help them fight a cold/flu faster? I just can't take it anymore... it's getting frustrating.

Thank you so much for any help you can give!

C

sits_inthe_corner
04-10-2008, 04:38 AM
Hi DioBelloAmore

The only thing I use when I have the cold and flu is Cold-fx, lots of clear fluids and rest. If my throat is sore I use cyprocal (think that's the spelling) it numbs the throat.

The cold-fx is expensive but I've found it works well for me. The pills are small. On the first day you take three pills three times a day, second day you take two pills three times a day and the third day you take one pill three times a day. After that you just take one pill three times a day till you're all cleared up.

I usually start feeling better by the end of the first day but it's important to keep taking the pills as directed. The other medications I'm on plus blood pressure issues make it impossible for me to take most cold and flu medications.

Hope this helps.

I no others take other suppliments. I'm sure they'll fill you in on what those are. :)

sits_inthe_corner
04-10-2008, 04:52 AM
I should also mention what it does! It boosts your emmune system to fight off the virus. It does not cause and sleepiness. You do not need a perscription to take this.

I have never heard of this medication reacting badly. But just to be on the safe side, if you do choose to try it speak with your pharmasist about the medication you are on and that you want to try cold-fx.

jesseyleigh
04-10-2008, 11:14 AM
I use sambu-col/ sambu guard with that and airborne and im generally better in a few days

AnnMarie
04-11-2008, 12:11 PM
Hi,

Thank goodness we are out of the worst part of the cold and flu season. I am much older than you and back in college. When cold and flu season strikes, I have to isolate myself from my fellow students. I either do one on ones w/the professor or take the class on line and meet w/that professor. Otherwise, I just do not get better.

I am not sure if you work or are a student, but during the flu season is when I must stay away from public arenas. Otherwise, I just do not get better and end up on the pred/pack. I take a low dose daily, but like you, if I get some type of virus, it can last for weeks or turn into something worse.

It is very frustrating but I am getting to know the routine.

Best wishes,
Annmarie

sick n tired
04-12-2008, 11:36 PM
Hey Christine,

I think what Sits in the corner does is a really good call.....sometimes what you get is a virus and they do not respond to antibiotics..in fact you shouldn't get on them....rest, clear liquids, and more rest is the best....if not taking a 7 day prednisone treatment is good for the worst of the stuff.

You might want to get the flu shot to ward off some of the versions of the flu, also.

I am glad that the worst of the cold and fly season is over

Blessings to you,

Karen