PDA

View Full Version : Possitive ANA Test

sits_inthe_corner
04-09-2008, 08:54 AM
Hello

During a routine visit to my family doctor this morning to get a perscription refill...she appologized to me for a blood test she found from 2006 :shock:

It was done by another doctor, while she was away on vacation. I don't remember why it was done. But I do remember going for blood work. This would have been before my joints started acting up.

The ANA came back possitive. I haven't had time to digest this yet as I had to leave from there and go straight to work. My doctor was kind enough to give me copies of all my possitive blood tests, so when I get home I can look them over...so brace yourselves cause I dont understand any of the mumbo gobbly gunk that makes up these tests and I WILL have questions :)

Oluwa
04-09-2008, 10:06 AM
Hi Susan...

And how do you feel about that? Knowing now as in somewhat of a relief or upset at no one telling you of the results in 2006. Or mixed..

Hope thinking about it hasn't ruined your Hump Day...

Hugs, big ones...squeeze...
Oluwa

sits_inthe_corner
04-09-2008, 12:43 PM
I'm not upset about it. I've been around lupus my whole life whether we had a name for it or not. But since 1987 when my mother passed away we had a name for it.

So it's I guess I'm more relieved that now I have that blood test backing me up when I go to the new rhuemy. I read a post from saysusie talking about false possitives so I could still be swinging in the wind.

I guess I just feel more validated if that makes sense.

Happy Hump day :D

Oluwa
04-09-2008, 01:51 PM
Susan,

The validation feeling does make sense. To know someone or something believes in you, of you, proof...You no longer have to defend yourself...

Now, I am defending myself. To whom? I don't know...I just feel weird about my last doctor visit...and toss a few new pills in the mix, and oh, boy..up, up and away in my beautiful, my beautiful balloon..(my airhead)...

From my reads, I guess it is all about how the doctor wants to interpret the blood work and the symptoms. I read someone where..they treat the symptoms without the blood work and call it an Incomplete Lupus...or if you just have a slightly elevated ANA they don't discount you...

Have you read the, The Lupus Book by David Wallace, MD? Very informative...

Oh, hey I did get my outdoor furniture. I went with the resin wicker. Teak is just too much of an upkeep in the hot, humid weather here. We purchased two chaise, accent table, and four seats w.dining table. Not the color of cushions I like, but that is replaceable. Target. I opted for them, because of easy return in case and they had free shipping and 15% off..Saved 500 smackeroos. Hey, I done good..

Thus far I received the chaises and I like them...

Getting geared up for when my brother arrives...2 weeks...yippeee! How the drugs tame down a bit...and I adjust, adapt...

Enjoy your late afternoon...
Oluwa

Pearl
04-09-2008, 03:19 PM
Dagnabbit, those dasterdly docs..."Oh yeah, by the way, here's your bloodwork from a couple of years ago...and by the way, your ANA was positive....and by the way, did I mention that a positive ANA might suggest that you should see a rheumy to rule anything OUT???????...and by the way, sorry about the little mixup....."

:shock:

Oh, but I digress. Now that my little temper tantrum is over, let me say that I am willing to consider this a blessing in disguise for you. You have been looking for a reason to meet with a new rheumy and you were concerned about getting the referral. Now you will. Progress. The wheels of the bus go round and round. It's nice when it actually goes somewhere!

Keep us posted. Hope you are well today. (Check out Lab Tests Online

http://www.labtestsonline.org/ for more info on the ANA. )

Jana :) [/b]

sits_inthe_corner
04-09-2008, 04:33 PM
Ty Oluwa and Pearl

If any other doctor had made the "oops" I would have been furious. But I have a long history with this doctor and I do know that she is mortified about this. She has always been very careful and researched her decisions. This truely fell through the cracks. It's completely unlike her.

I really just want to move forward from here. Unfortunately when I left work tonight I had way too much stuff in my arms and I forgot to grab the blood test results, so now I'll have to waite till tomorrow night to go over the levels.

Woohoo Oluwa it's patio weather :D I was out on my deck yesterday curled up in the shade. It was lovely :)

We are supposed to get snow on the weekend, but it wont stay on the ground long :)

Pearl, thanks for the post, I look forward to going over my levels and actually understanding them :)

jesseyleigh
04-09-2008, 08:55 PM
Oluwa make sure its a pretty rainbow or maybe polka dot balloon :D

sits_inthe_corner
04-10-2008, 03:34 PM
Okay here we go...

Anti-nuclear antibody - Elisa Screen Jul 16 06

Screen Result: Positive

Titre 1:200 Pattern speckled ( then in writing....I think it says Titre not significant)

Next result showed BRDRLINE

Titre 1:100 Pattern Speckled, homogeneous

There are other blood works that I have no clue what they are for :lol:

There were two tests done after the above mentioned that showed the ANA as being negative.

AnnMarie
04-11-2008, 06:09 AM
Hi Susan,

My ANA shows positive but there are markers for other diseases in my blood. AKA, Sjordrens and Scleroderma. All are autoimmune, perhaps the other blood test were to see if you had these overlaying symptoms.

I thought I had Lupus and now I am being told my blood has all 3 Markers and I have more of a potential for scleroderma. I give up. I just read on all the possible ways to avoid triggering flares.

Best wishes and I hope your not getting stressed out. We all know that is a trigger.

annmarie

jesseyleigh
04-11-2008, 10:45 AM
mine has been Speckled, homogeneous from day one that in the doctors mind was the final piece of the puzzle so hopefully that will help :)

Oluwa
04-11-2008, 03:37 PM
Hey Cookie Crumb SITC...And how was your day today....?

Mind bottling, eh?

I am stumped with mine results. My ANA turns out to be an Anti-DNA double strand test...huh?

It seems you lab in Canada uses a different titer method...if one can call it that. Here I believe it goes 1:20..40..80...160...1:320 and so on...

With yours it would seem it started out with 1:25...:50 :100...1:200..maybe...

Anymore clarification on your results since yesterday...

Hugs,
Oluwa

sits_inthe_corner
04-11-2008, 04:02 PM
Nope...

But I think I'll cool my jests untill I get to my new rhuemy and let them dazzle me with an explanation.

From what my family doctor said, I'm showing mild to boarderline. Personally I think that means more tests. Which is fine.

I want to know how I'm being affected. So I'll know how to approach this. Right now I dont have a clue. So I'm just trying to eat right and get my rest and my exercise and take my meds. I guess the only thing more tests would tell me is which parts of my body should I be freaking out about. :)

I have an appointment with a dermatologist...about my toe nails, but I also want him to look at my rashes and circular red veiny areas. I want some answers.

sick n tired
04-12-2008, 11:30 PM
Hey Sitc,

I just was able to get on and read your post....I do understand the validation that it makes you feel...nothing really has changed, you knew you were ill...you even knew what took your mother so prematurly, but now you have a doc who is saying it too.....

Mine was speckled, too...I think that means SLE....

I am glad that your doc found that test....I wonder what the "staring wonder" of a rheumy would say to that... :lol:

Take care,

Karen

sits_inthe_corner
04-13-2008, 12:54 AM
Hey sick n tired

Gentle hugsss girlie, I was just reading your update post on the other page there. Keeping you and yours in my prayers.

I think the thing that pleases me most is that my doctor admited finding them. That was the honest thing to do.

I dont know if heard of the scandle that has been rocking the east coast of canada, but the whole medical community in Newfoundland has grossly failed HUNDREDS of women and their families. Hundreds have died in the past years from breast cancer that could have been saved. Botched lab tests and a string of lies and covers up, all the way down the chain.

Trust levels for the medical community...zippity doo dah around these parts.

So I really do appreaciate my doctor coming to me with the blood work. I know she's looking out for me. She made an oops but she faced it in order to help me.

From what I've read SLE seems to fit my symptoms. It will be what it will be. Course a yr ago I would have FREAKED! Hahahaha it's amazing what you can adjust to, once you've been given time to digest it.

sick n tired
04-13-2008, 01:10 PM
Hey Sitc,

I think that it is very admirable that you have a doctor who is able to admit when she has made a mistake. Especially a mistake in diagnosis....I am totally impressed.

Yeah I heard about that Newfoundland thing, but only on the BBC. It is an election year and the candidates are wanting to pass the same national health plan that Europe has....that would not be very good press. So it will not be yelled from the rooftops here.

Thanks for the gentle hugs, and right back at you,

Karen